New Polaris Pro R

No one is saying it’s not a good machine.

In WA you do not have the same laws that California and a few other states have regarding what a UTV is and what is required by the manufacture & or it’s purchasers to operate one. WA chose not to adopt the laws the manufactures wanted all the states to follow. 

The manufactures financed a Org called ROHVA. If you don’t know what ROHVA is or how it started I can share, but it’s very lengthy. Just let me know? 

Bottom line is the Pro R does not meet the requirements of a UTV per the laws. Being listed as a UTV is a huge advantage for the manufacture. 
What you appear to be arguing is the Pro R is not a UTV in the states that use the ROHVA definition for the helmet law.   

So if I put a big bore kit on a XP1000 pushing it to over 1000cc, it is no longer a UTV in your eyes?  

It is a UTV and will be registered as such in the states that require registration.   

The Pro R is the next step in where the sport UTV market is heading.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one issue of whether its a "UTV" or not is not whether it will be reclassified by the DMV, that will get worked out, its whether insurance companies once notified of the decision will say 2000cc = more risk  therefore more to insure ...

That is one of the factors in MC insurance, that will be interesting to see what happens

In the grand state of California under section 500 of the vehicle code clearly states that an OHV  ROV is to be less than 1000 cc. You might be able to use the sand car classification, who knows? It does not meet the auto class or the motorcycle class. Maybe Polaris can get the vehicle code change to accept a larger cc motor.

You think Polaris or any manufacturer has not done their due diligence and made sure consumers can register them in the states that require UTVs to be registered?

Look how Polaris got the slingshot deemed a motorcycle.

Seem in California it will be a registered as a UTV

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/off-highway-vehicles/utility-terrain-vehicle-utv/ 
It says engine displacement of 1000 cc OR LESS.

A new body type model (BTM) “RO” was created for recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs).

An ROV has:

• steering wheel for steering control.
  • Nonstraddle (bucket or bench) seats for the operator and all passengers.
  • A maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
  • An engine displacement equal to or less than 1000cc.

Putting aside the Speed UTV and race class discussions, which are valid in their own right, I was always hoping for a 1300cc SxS, 68 inch width, that would try to take the SxS concept to a whole new level.  In other words, do with 1300cc what Can Am did with 900cc, but keep it real and logical.

With that being said, I think that the Pro R doesn't fit into what I was envisioning.

Stick with the 64 inch model, off-set bead locks make it 68 inches wide (like my sold 2014)... The new ones I have are a blast, but even with 72" width, they're a little too high. Lots of body roll, one must be careful.  Hit ANYTHING straight on and you'll be amazed what they soak up. I'll be interested to see how they corner/pitch on the fire/dirt roads in Big Bear / Arrowhead / Green Valley. I'll be running up there in the next couple weeks.

That being said, I'd wouldn't pick any other UTV for rock crawling (which isn't my favorite discipline), but I ate the sh__ out of built JKs and 99% of any jeep out there romping around at KOH, unless it's a totally off-road only rock bouncer deal, these tall little 2 seaters can get through ANYTHING I swear.

The whole UTV 1000cc debate thing will be 'sorted out' IMO by lobbying dollars (bribes) to politicians. So look at the size of the MFRs wallets and you can see where this will go. Polaris with all their faults has sold a zillion RZRs and I'm sure they're 'on it' when it comes to getting this larger displacement as the 'norm' for UTV classes. 

Don't follow any of the racing or stuff, but that's my guess.

Happy Monday!

Be well.

abc

It says engine displacement of 1000 cc OR LESS.

A new body type model (BTM) “RO” was created for recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs).

An ROV has:

• steering wheel for steering control.
  • Nonstraddle (bucket or bench) seats for the operator and all passengers.
  • A maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
  • An engine displacement equal to or less than 1000cc.
UTV per CVS section 531:

2018 California Code
Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 1 - WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED
Section 531.

Universal Citation: CA Veh Code § 531 (2018)
“Utility-terrain vehicle” means a motor vehicle subject to subdivision (a) of Section 38010 that is all of the following:

(a) Designed for operation off of the highway.

(b) Suspended on four tires.

(c) Has a steering wheel for steering control.

(d) Has one seat to accommodate a driver and one passenger sitting side by side.

(Added by Stats. 2012, Ch. 168, Sec. 1. (AB 2111) Effective January 1, 2013.)

You guys are looking a Ca.Veh. Code Section 500 which defines a ROV.

“Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:

(a) Designed by the manufacturer for operation primarily off of the highway.
(b) Has a steering wheel for steering control.
(c) Has nonstraddle seating provided by the manufacturer for the operator and all passengers.

(d)(1) Has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
(2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or less but is modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.

(e) Has an engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 ci).

This ROV designation seems to have come about for the helmet law so that farmers and workers that use UTVs for work were not required to wear a helmet.  The designated a ROV to fit in with the current crop of 1000cc UTVs used for off-road.  We shall see if CA changes the code section to encompass the Pro R or if they leave it.   

Seems to me the Pro R will have no issues being registered as a UTV. 

Last edited by a moderator:
UTV per CVS section 531:

2018 California Code
Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 1 - WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED
Section 531.

Universal Citation: CA Veh Code § 531 (2018)
“Utility-terrain vehicle” means a motor vehicle subject to subdivision (a) of Section 38010 that is all of the following:

(a) Designed for operation off of the highway.

(b) Suspended on four tires.

(c) Has a steering wheel for steering control.

(d) Has one seat to accommodate a driver and one passenger sitting side by side.

(Added by Stats. 2012, Ch. 168, Sec. 1. (AB 2111) Effective January 1, 2013.)

You guys are looking a Ca.Veh. Code Section 500 which defines a ROV.

“Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:

(a) Designed by the manufacturer for operation primarily off of the highway.
(b) Has a steering wheel for steering control.
(c) Has nonstraddle seating provided by the manufacturer for the operator and all passengers.

(d)(1) Has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
(2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or less but is modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.

(e) Has an engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 ci).

This ROV designation seems to have come about for the helmet law so that farmers and workers that use UTVs for work were not required to wear a helmet.  The designated a ROV to fit in with the current crop of 1000cc UTVs used for off-road.  We shall see if CA changes the code section to encompass the Pro R or if they leave it.   

Seems to me the Pro R will have not issues being registered as a UTV. 
You're the one who posted a link to section 500, I pointed out what it actually said, which was contrary to your argument, the 1,000 cc limit in fact does define an ROV.

So now you're trying to play word games. What do we use these for? Recreation, off road. That makes them ROVs. The Pro R is USED as an ROV but has too large of an engine to fit into that category.

The term "UTV" as used by the CVC, is a Utility vehicle as you said, used on farms. The Pro R is defined by the CVC as a UTV and what we have all been driving and discussing are ROVs.

Are you planning to use the Pro R down on the farm? 

Because it is registered as a UTV, Helmets are still mandatory, even within the 1000cc limit.  This is how I would read it

There is soo much going on in that shop these days...must be a fun crazy time no doubts..

You're the one who posted a link to section 500, I pointed out what it actually said, which was contrary to your argument, the 1,000 cc limit in fact does define an ROV.

So now you're trying to play word games. What do we use these for? Recreation, off road. That makes them ROVs. The Pro R is USED as an ROV but has too large of an engine to fit into that category.

The term "UTV" as used by the CVC, is a Utility vehicle as you said, used on farms. The Pro R is defined by the CVC as a UTV and what we have all been driving and discussing are ROVs.

Are you planning to use the Pro R down on the farm? 
No word games.  There are two sections of CVC and I am pointing out that the Pro R can be registered as a UTV in CA.  It is speculation on my part as to why there are two section as I have not read the legislative intent notes.

You and others are hung up on ROV as if that is the only way it can be registered.  Both section mention off highway use. 

44 minutes ago, Crusty said:

There is soo much going on in that shop these days...must be a fun crazy time no doubts..

He actually was leading one of the races on the final lap and spun out giving RG the win.  

No word games.  There are two sections of CVC and I am pointing out that the Pro R can be registered as a UTV in CA.  It is speculation on my part as to why there are two section as I have not read the legislative intent notes.

You and others are hung up on ROV as if that is the only way it can be registered.  Both section mention off highway use. 
We use them as ROVs. They are registered as ROVs. The designation matters, unless you don't care if a TT races against a N/A UTV in a race. The gov't wouldn't have written a law specifying an ROV is 1,000 cc or less if it didn't matter.

For some reason, you feel your personal feelings should dictate what category it's in, but the gov't doesn't care what you feel. They make the rules, they determine what it is. You can't call a donkey a zebra just because you want to. 

We use them as ROVs. They are registered as ROVs. The designation matters, unless you don't care if a TT races against a N/A UTV in a race. The gov't wouldn't have written a law specifying an ROV is 1,000 cc or less if it didn't matter.

For some reason, you feel your personal feelings should dictate what category it's in, but the gov't doesn't care what you feel. They make the rules, they determine what it is. You can't call a donkey a zebra just because you want to. 
You are mixing racing designations with registration of a vehicle.  The race organizations sort out what class a particular vehicle falls.  We are talking about whether you can register the Pro R as a UTV.  It is quite clear this can be done in CA.   Until there is an amendment or change in the CVC the Pro R can be registered under 531.  I would bet that is where the DMV is looking.  

Which happens first - the Speed UTV is in the hands of customers or an amendment to the CVC to account for the Pro R?   Vegas has the odds as even money.  LOL!!!

You are mixing racing designations with registration of a vehicle.  The race organizations sort out what class a particular vehicle falls.  We are talking about whether you can register the Pro R as a UTV.  It is quite clear this can be done in CA.   Until there is an amendment or change in the CVC the Pro R can be registered under 531.  I would bet that is where the DMV is looking.  

Which happens first - the Speed UTV is in the hands of customers or an amendment to the CVC to account for the Pro R?   Vegas has the odds as even money.  LOL!!!
If you look under CVC 531,  section 16 of 38.  15.155 Utility-Terrain Vehicle UTV CVC531 is where they change body style to a ROV and Limit the 1000 cc

Farm use gets a special equipment plate

Take another look see what you think????

Back