New Polaris Pro R

I think it’s funny as now that Polaris releases a vehicle with more then 1000cc it’s now ok to say it’s a UTV. 

When Robby first announced the Speed UTV there was talk the Speed car might come with a 1300cc engine as it was discussed it could be a version based on a Z1 style engine. When I brought this up to a few guys who raced UTV’s, two of them had Polaris sponsorship. They all said he’d be stupid to build it with a 1300cc engine as it would not be classified as a UTV, and not race legal as a UTV’s primary spec is a 1000cc engine. That’s why the UTV manufactures started using Turbos to make more power. 

But now that Polaris did it. They all say it’s ok and still a UTV. The engine size does not define the vehicle. They also like to say, they are all going to be doing it, so accept it. What I really think sucks is the race series helped create this mess, by allowing it and then creating classes or changing class rules allowing it to fit in a UTV class. But they all like the Polaris money given to them. 

Agree 100%.

We were were begging Arctic Cat to put the Z1(1056 cc)in the Wildcat, and were told in no uncertain terms that it would no longer be a UTV, and it would open a regulatory can of worms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100% also. Just because of the deep pockets, a rule should be a rule. Just the same as not having to wear a helmet in the pro r. 

I think it’s funny as now that Polaris releases a vehicle with more then 1000cc it’s now ok to say it’s a UTV. 

When Robby first announced the Speed UTV there was talk the Speed car might come with a 1300cc engine as it was discussed it could be a version based on a Z1 style engine. When I brought this up to a few guys who raced UTV’s, two of them had Polaris sponsorship. They all said he’d be stupid to build it with a 1300cc engine as it would not be classified as a UTV, and not race legal as a UTV’s primary spec is a 1000cc engine. That’s why the UTV manufactures started using Turbos to make more power. 

But now that Polaris did it. They all say it’s ok and still a UTV. The engine size does not define the vehicle. They also like to say, they are all going to be doing it, so accept it. What I really think sucks is the race series helped create this mess, by allowing it and then creating classes or changing class rules allowing it to fit in a UTV class. But they all like the Polaris money given to them. 
It is still a UTV.   Remember when Can Am released the turbo Maverick and the racers were crying about it racing against the n/a utv? 

The Pro R is still a UTV and has a class to race in and appears to not have issues getting them registered as a UTV in CA or AZ.  

If it had a manual transmission and 5 speed gear box then an argument could be made it is a mass produced class 10 car.  

I agree 100% also. Just because of the deep pockets, a rule should be a rule. Just the same as not having to wear a helmet in the pro r. 
I am not sure you currently have to wear a helmet in a Pro R.  They have not adapted the law in CA yet.  

Does anyone know how the pro r is being registered  in california? What dmv classification are they using? Or is Polaris ignoring the 1000 cc limit for a side by side? If polaris is just ignoring the 1000cc rule ,what happens to the registration when DMV catches up with them?

Does anyone know how the pro r is being registered  in california? What dmv classification are they using? Or is Polaris ignoring the 1000 cc limit for a side by side? If polaris is just ignoring the 1000cc rule ,what happens to the registration when DMV catches up with them?
My friend had one and it was registered just like every other UTV.  

This is a great question? There was a video with Chupacaraba and Brandon Coyne from Coyne Motorsports at a Polaris dealer demo event. They asked about the 1000cc law. The Polaris rep said they were not sure how it was going to be handled in a hand full of states that had the 1000cc UTV law. The rep said they will leave it to the state to figure out how they want to classify and register them. 

My guess is it’s flying under the radar right now as there’s  not allot if them out, and the DMV probable has no idea. The dealers are probably just processing the paperwork like any other UTV. Wait until some legislators fine out. They will either change the law, if some deep pocket (Polaris/ ROHVA) donates money to their campaign like they did with Paul Cook. Or the legislature will freak out and we will see some sort of stop/sell order in some states until they can figure it out. I’m not sure how the laws are for a mass produced off road vehicle? I’ve heard it’s different from a EPA/Carb and some other safety standards. But I’m not sure what or if those are? 

Many years ago, I don’t remember the year. But my step father bough a new YZ and it was registered with a green sticker. Several months later he gets a notice from Yamaha that the CARB approval was not met and the bike does not qualify for a green sticker in California. Then he got notice from the DMV that he was going to have to get the registration changed to a Red Sticker. It was a mess and the bikes value was cut in half.

I could easily see this happening in California on the Pro R. It does not meet the current UTV laws and will have to be re-registered and hopefully does not lose its green sticker rights, if emissions come into play. Plus if not a UTV, then the helmet law enforcement goes out the window too! 
You think Polaris or any manufacturer has not done their due diligence and made sure consumers can register them in the states that require UTVs to be registered?

Look how Polaris got the slingshot deemed a motorcycle.

Seem in California it will be a registered as a UTV

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/off-highway-vehicles/utility-terrain-vehicle-utv/ 

Polarass rolled out the Slingturd without its classification being settled in numerous states. They... errr... "facilitated" the outcome they desired as time went on. Their lobbyists must be well compensated.

Here in WA mine is registered and titled as a UTV. Licensed for on and off road. 

Why does anyone care how it’s registered? It’s a huge advancement in off-roading. It’s the best UTV I’ve ever owned (except the ugly assed yellow). 

I get all of that but I don’t see how any of it matters. As of now if CA is registering it as a UTV. Why argue why it is or isn’t. Seems like most of the threads here turn into an argument instead of a discussion. A whole lot Of I heard and I think instead of I know. I guess since it doesn’t matter to me I shouldnt care. Carry on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back