New Polaris Pro R

Wayne Matlock was the overall UTV winner at the San Felipe 250 last weekend in his Pro R.   Impressive run for him. 

Yeah, my black RZR (not a Pro R obviously) due to vibration backed out the inner bolt that holds then inner clutch cover deal.. hit the clutch and had to replace the primary. Apparently Polaris didn't think to put lock-tight on the bolt(s). 

As the mechanic was showing me what happened, I'm sitting on another customer's tire (leaning against it), .. he says, 'Yeah the one you're leaning against, same problem' .. and they've seen this more than once.. oh and the extended warranty company DOESN'T cover it.. sure .. Polaris here's another $1500 for your CRAPPY sh__!

I hope SPEED kicks Polaris and Canned Ham in the teeth. 

abc
You might have to drink the Koolaide and buy a different trailer. 

Is this the same class where you can put an Turbo Ecotec, VW engine or any wazoo 4cyl into a custom chassis with a UTV body and race?
He was in the Open UTV class.  Not sure what the rules on this class are these days.  There were no funky powered cars racing in the class.  In his class there were 10 cars racing, including Cameron Steele in his Can Am X3.  They started behind the other UTV classes and Matlock beat them all on time.  Not sure how far up he got physically in the field of UTVs. 

He finished 45th overall out of all the racers.  It was a good run for him and his Pro R.  His wife is also racing a Pro R this season.  She had some issues, but finished. 

He will have a bigger trailer with no car to go in it, if he drinks the Koolaide.  Now what fun stories come from ABC without him having a SXS?   

I know everyone is all excited with the RG test videos; however, the cars are still not in production yet.  No sense in ordering one now until production has started and they have gone beyond the initial 50 or even 250 cars. 

Nah.. these are good for me... last SXSs I'll ever own.. if I ever sell them I'll either...

a. Go BIG once more 415ci-440ci V8 rail with a 4.0 Whipple

OR

b. Sell it all and just rent stuff, travel a ton.

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
In UTV Pro Open you turbos are unlimited and so is displacement, and so is the chassis essentially.

The only restriction is 4 cylinders and a couple other things for other parts of the car.

It is really not a UTV class. Its like TT with a 4 cylinder and a "UTV" transmission.
Eventually the class will be the TT class of UTVs.  Did you see the  Redland Racing Polaris with the custom chassis?  Really nice car.  

It already is the TT of UTV. 

However it is not as big or as popular as TT.

The top MFGs aren't going to enter a class where the rules are so relaxed the cars hardly resemble a UTV or anything you can get off the floor.

Maybe one day when everyone has 3.5L turbo engines coming off the assembly line. But until then, it is and has been basically an experimental class which is and was so unpopular the race orgs decided to open up the displacement to appease Polaris. 

It still is not the top tier class and that won't change until all MFGs start entering.

The fastest TT legend beat TT spec. Guess what, nobody cares. Alot of people care about TT spec.

Sort of an analogy. 

If you're not racing the best, then does it really matter of you were the fastest?

10 entries UTV open

29 entries UTV turbo

From SF250
You seem to down play the pro r any time it does well. I know your a big Speed fan, and that’s cool, but won’t that car have a huge advantage over many UTV’s when it finally makes it to a starting line? I think the reason Sand Shark points out how well the Pro R does is because of all of the flack it got when it first came out. If these “POS” cars can win open desert races and not just short corse races than maybe they aren’t as big of a “POS” as people are claiming them to be? 

It already is the TT of UTV. 

However it is not as big or as popular as TT.

The top MFGs aren't going to enter a class where the rules are so relaxed the cars hardly resemble a UTV or anything you can get off the floor.

Maybe one day when everyone has 3.5L turbo engines coming off the assembly line. But until then, it is and has been basically an experimental class which is and was so unpopular the race orgs decided to open up the displacement to appease Polaris. 

It still is not the top tier class and that won't change until all MFGs start entering.

The fastest TT legend beat TT spec. Guess what, nobody cares. Alot of people care about TT spec.

Sort of an analogy. 

If you're not racing the best, then does it really matter of you were the fastest?

10 entries UTV open

29 entries UTV turbo

From SF250
 Can Am allegedly has something in the works that will be racing with the Pro R.  The manufactures will be racing in that class soon.  Matlock is still racing against the entire UTV field and he beat them all.  The UTV class is different than the other classes due to the heavy manufacture involvement.  Polaris will be advertising Matlocks win.  

The UTV Open class will eventually draw all the top drivers and then it will be the TT class of UTVs.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the only reason I downplay the Pro R is because it's not a UTV.

I never said it was a POS, simply stated it's not a UTV.
Why is it not a UTV?  

Back