New Polaris Pro R

Probably just a funky photo angle.  I do not recall Polaris models having lots of bumpsteer.  
Just because you don't recall doesn't mean it wasn't always there. I definitely remember poor suspension geometry as being one of the hallmarks of Polaris designs. Their own slo-mo advertising videos highlight the massive trackwidth changes and driver head bobbing over the years. This model is an incremental improvement over previous models, but the video tells the story of their current "state of the art."

If it was a photo angle, why are the rear tires not distorted too? I’ve seen several print ad or race photos of multiple RZR models where the front has dramatic toe change through the cycle. 
Yup.

Their "all new and improved" toe control bar is what is controlling toe change in the rear. 

There is no angle you could take that pic and make that design flaw look better or worse. Just the typical sand shart bias.

the t and the k are not so close to each other...  :focus:

ca2847a0b66ea94dc69415f218e42fad.jpg

Yup.

Their "all new and improved" toe control bar is what is controlling toe change in the rear. 

There is no angle you could take that pic and make that design flaw look better or worse. Just the typical sand shart bias.
Yep just my bias on a car I don't own.  LOL!   I have owned a Polaris and don't recall bumpsteer being a major issue, but hell that was 5500 miles on that car and maybe it showed up in dramatic fashion at mile 5501.  LOL!

Now if you want to talk about the terrible bump steer of the Can Am that I can agree.  Although the new X3 is not nearly as bad as my old X3. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised it has a lot of toe-change moving up to 20+" of real travel.  I still think Speed will be ahead of everyone else in terms of suspension geometry, actual strength in the arms/frame/cage etc.  Still, I have my R order in, and I'll probably end up with it unless Speed really accelerates things. 

-TJ

If it was a photo angle, why are the rear tires not distorted too? I’ve seen several print ad or race photos of multiple RZR models where the front has dramatic toe change through the cycle. 
That one tire is pointed way in.  crazy looking and that is why I was thinking the photo angle. 

Just because you don't recall doesn't mean it wasn't always there. I definitely remember poor suspension geometry as being one of the hallmarks of Polaris designs. Their own slo-mo advertising videos highlight the massive trackwidth changes and driver head bobbing over the years. This model is an incremental improvement over previous models, but the video tells the story of their current "state of the art."
I guess you missed the part in my statement when I said I do not recall Polaris having lots of bumpsteer. 

I don’t remember the exact measurement, as it’s been a long while. Bu my RZR with a 28 inch tire had around 3 inches of tow change bumpsteer on the front. That number will only increase with a larger tire too. Surprisingly it did not look that noticeable when both tires are changing around 1 1/2 inches each together. But straighten one side and the 3 inches, kinda like what picture shows is dramatic. IMO Polaris’s problem is because of many issues. Rack position, rack/tie rod position, tie rod length seems short for the amount of cycle, knuckle & tie rod mounting on the knuckle.

If it was as simple as a tie rod end riser like what ST has for the Can Am, I’m sure ST would offer a Bumpsteer kit. But the fact they don’t tells me it’s a bigger issues and not a bolt on fix. BTW ST claims the X3 has 4 inches of Bumpsteer. 
I never measured the bumpsteer on my old X3.  I did a bumpsteer kit from CT Raceworx (same idea as the ST set up).  It helped.  The new ST bumpsteer kit is much better as it has multiple spacers so you can really fine tune.   

My XP1000 with 31" tires was not darty like my X3 was before the bumpsteer kit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back