New Polaris Pro R

I was thinking about in the sand, with all of the added drag. 

Looks like they went full on beefy instead of strong/lightweight. My 4 seat sandrail weighs 2500 lbs with a Northstar engine (the heaviest/lowest hp V8 engine I know of) 2D trans, bypasses at all 4 corners, radio/intercom, full tank of gas and 6 HID lights.

It looks like it's beefy enough to hold up, but it sits much higher than my sandrail, which concerns me that it looks to have a high center of gravity. It's not my cup of tea, but I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them.
In the sand the 4 seater will be interesting with 4 adults in it.   I have seen Can Am and Polaris fours seaters fully loaded scooting along pretty good in the dunes.   I have also seen some that are dragging ass and slugs. 

View attachment 19789

for anyone in the chattsworth area that might want to check it out
Cringe.  I can't even count on both hands how many times I've seen SxSs drifting like that go over... Hell, they're fully drooped up front and 3-wheeling... :biggrin:

Here are some front suspension pictures and rear section.  I though I took a picture of the trailing arm.  I guess not.   Those front lower arms are heavy. 

View attachment 20494
Now we know why the axleshaft was discolored when the shock broke.

Cringe.  I can't even count on both hands how many times I've seen SxSs drifting like that go over... Hell, they're fully drooped up front and 3-wheeling... :biggrin:

Now we know why the axleshaft was discolored when the shock broke.
There is a good mount of clearance between the shock fork and axle. 

Which one did they list as 2365 dry weight? The 4 seater? 

Fluids will weigh more than 100 lbs. 13 gal of gas alone is 79.3 lbs, 14 gal is 85.4 lbs. Let's estimate 2 gal of coolant, that's 18 lbs more - that's 101.4 lbs not even including engine oil and gear oils. 
WOW  my funco weighs 2300 wet with a sequential 5 speed and a 6 cylinder 2" hollows up front, 934 axles and mid board hubs and 3.0 shocks!!

When not broken, yes.  After it breaks, likely not. :biggrin:
I bet when that Axle snaps, its like a Texas Tech Bell Ringer banging around...

GvZ6vcg.gif

Here are some front suspension pictures and rear section.  I though I took a picture of the trailing arm.  I guess not.   Those front lower arms are heavy. 

View attachment 20494

View attachment 20495

View attachment 20496

View attachment 20497
that bolt together lower clevis and spring pad is a poor design,  those two should be one piece and the shock shaft needs be a bigger diameter and perhaps the shock shaft should go further into the "new part" so the smooth part of the shaft is in a counter bore of the "new clevis"

that bolt together lower clevis and spring pad is a poor design,  those two should be one piece and the shock shaft needs be a bigger diameter and perhaps the shock shaft should go further into the "new part" so the smooth part of the shaft is in a counter bore of the "new clevis"
I did not look at it closely to see how it was put together.   

I did not look at it closely to see how it was put together.   
I didn’t either but clearly there is a raw and a black part that come together and are two pieces. And from what I gather the shaft would be the only part keeping them together. It is kind of like needing a 4x4 post holding up a structure but one foot ftom the ground you cut the post in half and set them back on top of each other and exclaim “ it’s still just as strong in the downward direction” now add some movement to the upper structure still applying the same weight and then apply super lot of extra weight (as in a G out) the forces would go exponential!!! And guess where there would be a problem?

In the sand the 4 seater will be interesting with 4 adults in it.   I have seen Can Am and Polaris fours seaters fully loaded scooting along pretty good in the dunes.   I have also seen some that are dragging ass and slugs. 
It’s all about Keeping your momentum. I had an xp4 1000 and used to dune with 4 adults. Not the funnest in the world but you can do it.

I didn’t either but clearly there is a raw and a black part that come together and are two pieces. And from what I gather the shaft would be the only part keeping them together. It is kind of like needing a 4x4 post holding up a structure but one foot ftom the ground you cut the post in half and set them back on top of each other and exclaim “ it’s still just as strong in the downward direction” now add some movement to the upper structure still applying the same weight and then apply super lot of extra weight (as in a G out) the forces would go exponential!!! And guess where there would be a problem?
Perhaps that is what happen to Wayne Matlock with his Pro R at the Baja 1000.  Although some are saying the failure was due to some aftermarket part.  

In person the part is much more substantial.  

The design itself is not something knew.  I have seen Kibbetech use this clevis design on their suspension kits.  

https://www.kibbetech.com/collections/long-travel-kits/products/11-silverado-sierra-2500hd-3500hd-4x4-long-travel-kit

Perhaps that is what happen to Wayne Matlock with his Pro R at the Baja 1000.  Although some are saying the failure was due to some aftermarket part.  

In person the part is much more substantial.  

The design itself is not something knew.  I have seen Kibbetech use this clevis design on their suspension kits.  

https://www.kibbetech.com/collections/long-travel-kits/products/11-silverado-sierra-2500hd-3500hd-4x4-long-travel-kit
yeah but in that truck  application im sure its not being bottomed out a lot and perhaps there is another bump stop on the chassis too so the clevis never sees massive compression. that would remove all massive compression forces at that intersection .  im not a SXS guy but im guessing the shock is the bump stop on that SXS and if it is--its the weak point in the design

The raw part is the spring perch, which Polaris has been using for eons now:

TTD02905_1024x1024.jpg

It works similarly to any of the King/Fox coilovers, except it doesn't use a snap ring, it will just fall out to the right (in the above picture) once you remove preload from it and slide it up off the machined lip in the spherical.  

The mount to the control arm basically replaces the spherical pictured above, which is just screwed to the shaft like every other coilover out there.  So long as there isn't any bind, it should not see much in the way of lateral loading.  My guess is since it's a fork shape and cast, a brittle batch can easily explain the failure.  Not a huge fan of the design, but it's likely a compromise in suspension geometry.  Honda did similar on their double-wishbone cars of the 90s:

0z6itcj364qrb846bv8k2n9loxajkhid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of pics of Rzrs with front shock shafts bent into an L shape. In this design failure iteration, they just introduced a new failure point to replace the shock shafts.

hqdefault.jpg

There are plenty of pics of Rzrs with front shock shafts bent into an L shape. In this design failure iteration, they just introduced a new failure point to replace the shock shafts.
The shock shaft failures were with the XP1000 and the fact Walker Evans used to small of a diameter shock shaft.  Most of the failures happen after someone sent their car airborne to great heights with the compression fully closed.  LOL!  

You do not see shock shaft failures on the current batch of UTVs as they are a large shaft.  

The only issue I see with the current design is if an axle lets go and rattles around it might damage that clevis.  

The clevis design shock end is used on trophy trucks on the trailing arms.  

The shock shaft failures were with the XP1000 and the fact Walker Evans used to small of a diameter shock shaft.  Most of the failures happen after someone sent their car airborne to great heights with the compression fully closed.  LOL!  

You do not see shock shaft failures on the current batch of UTVs as they are a large shaft.  

The only issue I see with the current design is if an axle lets go and rattles around it might damage that clevis.  

The clevis design shock end is used on trophy trucks on the trailing arms.  
As you guys were all fond of saying about the Speed UTV, "You haven't really tested it until you let Joe Public beat on it."

So what do we have here? The heaviest Rzr by far, add in some passengers, factor in the thicker shock shafts, put the junction between the tuning fork and the lower shock mount up where the shock shaft used to fail, let Bubba jump it because he saw it in the advertising video and I'm gonna take a wild guess as to where the new failure point is when the eventual high - G bottoming out occurs.

You might not see it now, but we'll see what happens when people start driving them.

As you guys were all fond of saying about the Speed UTV, "You haven't really tested it until you let Joe Public beat on it."

So what do we have here? The heaviest Rzr by far, add in some passengers, factor in the thicker shock shafts, put the junction between the tuning fork and the lower shock mount up where the shock shaft used to fail, let Bubba jump it because he saw it in the advertising video and I'm gonna take a wild guess as to where the new failure point is when the eventual high - G bottoming out occurs.

You might not see it now, but we'll see what happens when people start driving them.
Joe Public has a way of finding failure points.  LOL!

So far one racer with the Walker Evans shocks had no issues and finished the Mint 400 as the 5th overall UTV.  We have a Baja racer with the Fox set up that killed multiple front shocks.  Reason for failure is said to be bad casting of the part and more recently I have seen blame placed on an aftermarket part.  Which aftermarket part has not be disclosed. 

Joe Public will be the tie breaker. 

The raw part is the spring perch, which Polaris has been using for eons now:

It works similarly to any of the King/Fox coilovers, except it doesn't use a snap ring, it will just fall out to the right (in the above picture) once you remove preload from it and slide it up off the machined lip in the spherical.  

The mount to the control arm basically replaces the spherical pictured above, which is just screwed to the shaft like every other coilover out there.  So long as there isn't any bind, it should not see much in the way of lateral loading.  My guess is since it's a fork shape and cast, a brittle batch can easily explain the failure.  Not a huge fan of the design, but it's likely a compromise in suspension geometry.  Honda did similar on their double-wishbone cars of the 90s:

the shorter the clevis the less of a problem.  just imagine the same SXS shock shown on the pro but lengthen the clevis even more and you get where im coming from.  the way Honda did it is the bomb  very strong and takes advantage of the larger diameter too

Back