New Polaris Pro R

I was able to check out the new Polaris yesterday afternoon at the dealer in Chatsworth, CA - Wheel in Motion.  Polaris is taking the frame cut away, one 4 seater (done up by Pro Armor), a 2 seat done up by Pro Armor, a 2 seat limited edition and one Turbo R (Turbo S replacement).

The new Pro R is impressive in person.  It is a big car for sure and you can easily fit 35" tires on them without any issue.  In fact the 4 seater they had on display had 35" tires.   

The frame itself is an improvement over the XP Pro frame.  The tubing is massive 2" and in the front section they use 2 1/2" tubing in some areas.  The overall thickness of the tubing used seems to be good.  Not sure of the exact wall thickness.  They have a lot of gusseting and the frame appears to be very stout.  All the shock mounting tabs are thick and use 14mm bolts.  

The roll cage is no longer a bolt together cage.  It look more like a real cage and seem to be pretty stout. 

The front suspension arms are heavy and look stout.  The lower shock fork is much more stout looking in person.  The Walker Evans shocks have a shiny cast alloy shock fork and the Fox have a black cast alloy fork.   The new dynamic suspension set up is very cool and has a lot going on.  It independently controls compression and rebound.  This is different than the Can Am set up which controls the rebound and compression at the same time.  The new Polaris set up should provide a really nice ride.  The new system also will control ride height when rock crawling.  It has the anti-dive and controls to stiffen up the out side shocks when turning to reduce body roll.  

Polaris is using a 3" diameter drive shaft.  The front diff is completely.  The Polaris guy said they tried using the Turbo S front diff, but it did not last.  So they went with a new set up.  This new one has a true locking diff or the usual 3 wheel type set up Polaris has on the other models.   The rear diff is pretty big.  The Polaris guy said it is about the size of a Dana 44.  

The new 4 cylinder motor sounds really nice and with an aftermarket exhaust it will sound even better.  When the fired up the Turbo R the motor sounded pathetic compared to the 4 cylinder.  LOL!

The interior of the Pro R is the same as the XP Pro.  The new shifting set up with dual cables makes for a smoother operation.  The telescopic steering wheel is very cool.  The display on the Ride Command dash is nice.  Stock seats are comfortable and you can adjust the tilt on them.  3 positions.  Comes with the Polaris 6 point harness set up.  

Per the Polaris person I spoke to yesterday they are only make 600 of the limited edition models.  The Pro R will be hitting the dealers next month.  

@Lord of the Dunes no bubble gum welds on the production model.  LOL!

Over all I think Polaris did a good job on this car and it is legit.   They have been working on this model for at least 4 years and have allegedly put tons of hours and miles testing. 

They are going to sell a ton of these cars when they have enough supply to do so.  LOL!  

Here are the frame pictures pre-production and some off the Limited Edition one

frame 1.jpg

frame 3.jpg

frame 2.png

frame 4.jpg

frame 5.jpg

frame 7.jpg

frame 8.jpg

frame 6.jpg

Here are some front suspension pictures and rear section.  I though I took a picture of the trailing arm.  I guess not.   Those front lower arms are heavy. 

suspension 1.jpg

suspension 2.jpg

suspension 3.jpg

suspension 4.jpg

Here is an inside shot of the rollcage 

cage 1.jpg

Clutches are very big as is the belt.  Belt change will be kind of a pain in the ass, but doable. 

p24.jpg

Pictures of some of the cars on display

p20.jpg

p7.jpg

The swaybar set up is pretty nice with the 3 piece design. I am sure the aftermarket will offer fancy billet options.

swaybar.jpg

Impressive 👍 should be a blast....did they say how heavy when all said and done?

2100lbs dry weight.  Figure just under 2200 with all the fluids. 
Which one did they list as 2365 dry weight? The 4 seater? 

Fluids will weigh more than 100 lbs. 13 gal of gas alone is 79.3 lbs, 14 gal is 85.4 lbs. Let's estimate 2 gal of coolant, that's 18 lbs more - that's 101.4 lbs not even including engine oil and gear oils. 

Which one did they list as 2365 dry weight? The 4 seater? 

Fluids will weigh more than 100 lbs. 13 gal of gas alone is 79.3 lbs, 14 gal is 85.4 lbs. Let's estimate 2 gal of coolant, that's 18 lbs more - that's 101.4 lbs not even including engine oil and gear oils. 
It only holds 12 gallons of fuel.  Per Polaris website the dry weight of the 2 seater is 2,085.  So my guess of just under 2200lbs wet is not far off. 

2365 would be the four seater.  That is the weight listed on the Polaris website.    

Last edited by a moderator:
It only holds 12 gallons of fuel.  

2365 would be the four seater.  
12 gal for a 2L four cylinder pushing a 4 seater that weighs close to 2500 lbs wet and probably 800-900 lbs more with the family and friends loaded in? Better carry a gas can or all of the other guys will leave you where you ran out of gas halfway back.
Oh yeah, don't forget the 300lbs of accessories, plus spare tire, tire rack, etc...

:lol:

Did they specify cage and frame material? I caught the thickness but looking for other info.
The guy told me, but I can't remember what he said other than steel alloy.  LOL!

The tubing thickness looks to be much better.  I have not heard much about issues with the Pro XP frame and the Pro R frame is a much more robust and improved version of the Pro XP frame. 

12 gal for a 2L four cylinder pushing a 4 seater that weighs close to 2500 lbs wet and probably 800-900 lbs more with the family and friends loaded in? Better carry a gas can or all of the other guys will leave you where you ran out of gas halfway back.
Oh yeah, don't forget the 300lbs of accessories, plus spare tire, tire rack, etc...

:lol:
 The 4 seater comes with 12.3 gallons.  LOL!   

If it guzzles gas like the Turbo S 4 seater you will need to carry extra gas for sure.  I think my friend got 110 miles on a tank of gas.  Mind you we were moving pretty good and on the gas.   

My X3 does well with fuel consumption in the dirt.  I think I can get 125-130 miles out of tank and just cruising probably a little more. 

The 4 seater comes with 12.3 gallons.  LOL!   

If it guzzles gas like the Turbo S 4 seater you will need to carry extra gas for sure.  I think my friend got 110 miles on a tank of gas.  Mind you we were moving pretty good and on the gas.   

My X3 does well with fuel consumption in the dirt.  I think I can get 125-130 miles out of tank and just cruising probably a little more. 
I was thinking about in the sand, with all of the added drag. 

Looks like they went full on beefy instead of strong/lightweight. My 4 seat sandrail weighs 2500 lbs with a Northstar engine (the heaviest/lowest hp V8 engine I know of) 2D trans, bypasses at all 4 corners, radio/intercom, full tank of gas and 6 HID lights.

It looks like it's beefy enough to hold up, but it sits much higher than my sandrail, which concerns me that it looks to have a high center of gravity. It's not my cup of tea, but I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them.

Back