New Polaris Pro R

IDK exactly how CARB works (does anybody really know?), but this is the same motor in the Polaris Slingshot  so it is already CARB approved.  As long as they run the same map, exhaust, cat, etc. should be a slam dunk.....
They changed the motor up for the Pro R.  They discussed the changes during the video presentation.  Different oiling, crankshaft, and some other things.  It also makes more hp than the Slingshot motor.  

Polaris mentions the Pro R as a UTV/SXS.  I think the helmet law would still only apply to UTVs.  If they wanted to get buggies in the helmet law they would of done it already.  The manufactures pushed for the helmet law to save them from lawsuits and probable more safety regulations.   
So what will differentiate a "UTV" from a "buggy" to the lawmakers and those that are enforcing the engine displacement rule?

Keep in mind that the same people writing the rules are the same ones that say having a pistol grip style rifle makes it more dangerous than one without.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what will differentiate a "UTV" from a "buggy" to the lawmakers and those that are enforcing the engine displacement rule?

Keep in mind that the same people writing the rules are the same ones that say having a pistol grip style rifle makes it more dangerous than one without.
I have not looked at the helmet law in quite a while.   What I remember is they defined what a UTV/SXS (ROV) was and then added the 1000cc.   The definition has not changed and it would be easy to amend it to include the larger displacement motor.  

A buggy is more of a custom car versus a SXS that is mass produced.  It would be the manufactures approaching the legislature about amending the current law and I do not see some legislature asking about buggies, if they even know what they are. 

Check out Rohva recreational off-highway vehicle Association their definition if it's over 1000 cc's not a UTV

If you Google why UTV are 1000cc I don't know how they're getting laws changed
All they do is approach the legislatures who help get the first law passed and tell them it needs to be amended.  Provide them with the proposed amendment and a new bill is written to amend the existing law and then presented for a vote. Stuff like this usually gets passed through without any issues.

I am pretty sure Polaris has the wheels in motion.  When they were releasing the Slingshot they had to make sure it was not classified as car to avoid all the safety testing a car requires versus a motorcycle.  They have lobbiest and lawyers to get all this stuff done. 

I have not looked at the helmet law in quite a while.   What I remember is they defined what a UTV/SXS (ROV) was and then added the 1000cc.   The definition has not changed and it would be easy to amend it to include the larger displacement motor.  

A buggy is more of a custom car versus a SXS that is mass produced.  It would be the manufactures approaching the legislature about amending the current law and I do not see some legislature asking about buggies, if they even know what they are. 
So If I build my own custom chassis "buggy", but use the same 2.0 liter engine and drivetrain from the Polaris ProR, I would not have to adhere to helmet laws? Cool. 

I will bet that there will soon (2-4 years) be a CA law mandating helmets be worn in any type of off-road vehicle, regardless off engine displacement. 

So If I build my own custom chassis "buggy", but use the same 2.0 liter engine and drivetrain from the Polaris ProR, I would not have to adhere to helmet laws? Cool. 

I will bet that there will soon (2-4 years) be a CA law mandating helmets be worn in any type of off-road vehicle, regardless off engine displacement. 
While I could see them trying to make all Off-road vehicles required to wear helmets, but then you might be fighting with all Farmers and construction workers on how Tractors and such are classified.  Who knows.....................it is Ca government

Good question.  I do not have the answer for you. 

So all the talk about the Speed car being to heavy, or too wide has become a mute point now. 

Pro R 2 seat (Estimated dry weight) 2,085

Pro R 4 seat (Estimated dry weight) 2,365

Unless I’m missing it, I don’t see either of these models listed on CARB’s Executive Orders list. So maybe the reason why the weight is estimated and or why they will not be releasing them until early 2022 or by Spring is because they are still waiting for full CARB approval? Or is the Pro R not under the same CARB category as the other off road vehicles?  

And the Polaris fans can’t give the Can Am guys crap about the X3, 4 seater being way to long. Pro R 4 seater is 133 inches! Lol! What a sled. 
Was more to temper predictions on Speed destroying/slaying/massacring all but the Mighty Wild Cat and a Northstar powered buggy in acceleration than it was saying you can’t dune it. 

Meh, I disagree. All the haters were also talking chit on the Speed about being too heavy with.... 225hp...

Now it it is looking like the Pro R will be even heavier than the Speed.
I supposed. My take was there was a lot of Fanboi-ing in that thread on how it has more power than all. 

Which it does. It just has more weight to carry around, negating most of the power advantage. Discussion unfortunately devolved into how the Speed was magically a gajillion times stronger and beefier, and about the same weight as a Can Am. 

Meh, I disagree. All the haters were also talking chit on the Speed about being too heavy with.... 225hp...

Now it it is looking like the Pro R will be even heavier than the Speed.
It’s crazy how everyone that pointed out issues with the Speed car have been labeled haters! Not only did we point out issues, we also gave props for things so I don’t think that makes us haters. As for me, I feel the same way about the RZR as the Speed when it comes to weight. Honestly, if I wanted a 4 seater, Speed would be the only way I would go. Not a big fan of the limo look.

Same could be said for anyone who said positive things, liked the Speed UTV or was excited to see the progression of something new. They were labeled a Fanboy or said to be swing from Robby’s nuts. 

Sad part about the sport of desert recreation is there are to many jealous disrespectful people in the sport now. If someone has something better or if they can’t have something, they immediately put people down or just say not nice things to justify where they are or have in life. 

Growing up I saw people interested in innovation. People went out of their way to help others. Now that seems to be lost. 
Innovation is always good.   To think we have gone from a 25hp Rhino to the current crop of sport UTVs is pretty incredible.  

It was not long ago UTVs were barely finishing a race in Baja to now having the capability of finishing and finishing pretty high up in the overall finishing order.  

Each sport UTV brings something to the table and now we have choices galore.  

Back