My air cooled turbo project. (no more E85, just race fuel)

I’m picking up my engine later this week, I have an appointment with Greg Holman for Valentine’s Day for the exaust.

Right now I am looking for a small turbo scavenge pump.  The turbo’s oil orifice is only about .030” I’m looking for a very small pump.  

I’ve made some real headway in the last 2 weeks.  I got my long block back and it’s pretty nice

573A526F-F5B7-4C7A-B0B3-75A99B950969.jpeg

got that slapped in and then got my intake and exhaust on

CB06D647-7257-48BF-AF6B-EA4FA7D5F8BD.jpeg

40C10D95-603D-45E6-831F-1D29A0B4235D.jpeg

Now I’m looking at a new fuel tank.  I need bigger AN fittings, to move the fill hol out of the center of the tank (whoever did that was an idiot) and add a access to instal the hydromat. 

Rehabbing the old one would be expensive and it’s pretty rattty and has thin spots from 25 years of bouncing around the sand dunes.   

I’m thinking of building on from carbon fiber, I’ve done some fiberglass work so I’m looking into building it myself.  

This project ever get finished?
Not yet, I just ordered all my XRP fittings and hoses, this weekend I’m making an overhead console for the radio, hopefully it matches this:

image.jpeg

I’ve been distracted from sandcar work all summer with this new (to me) toy 

i770lT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg

My overhead console for my PCI/Kenwood radio, still needs to be fitted to the car and finished.   I’m pretty happy with it so far.   

Got the radio mounted, this is mockup, I’ll post photos of it finished in urethane later

36A07BD6-4DB3-438C-ADE6-18A71266289C.jpeg

Looking for dyno wheels.  My buddie’s shop had a set though they were trashed but they lost them.  Also, they were slipping when I was putting 200HP to the ground, now that I’m going to make 350-400, it’s game over.    Now I need to buy a set of wide 5 neg offset wheels to dyno the car,     I really don’t want to spend a lot of money on them but I have to because you can’t really dyno on paddles.

Any idea where to find a set of wheels/tires for dyno int this car?

I need to come up with some wheels and tires to dyno the car with, things are coming together fast. 

just about everything in the engine is locked down need just a couple odds and ends.  Fuel tank and crank trigger are most of it    

decided to heat wrap the exhaust and heat sleeve all the hoses and cables 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Crank sensor is installed and ECU harness is done, all I need now is a gas tank and some gas (and dyno tires) and bolt in the cam sensor and it’s ready to dyno!

6391850F-D245-4CB2-BD74-7F3EFFDA5B66.jpeg

I wonder if Dr. Porsche had any idea these things would end up looking like this???  LOL. 

Im super curious to see how it does on the dyno & what the curves look like. 

I wonder if Dr. Porsche had any idea these things would end up looking like this???  LOL. 

Im super curious to see how it does on the dyno & what the curves look like. 
I expect it would make over 400HP on the bench however, I have a built 5 rib so I’m not going to push it that hard, probably 7 pounds, perhaps 10.  I’m running a 3# spring and a boost control valve  

The $25,000 question is: will it be driveable.  

We will find out in a few weeks when I have time&money to put more work into it.  

super interesting how the curves are almost identical until 4500.  what happens to boost @ 4500? 

it would be interesting to see the boost curve laid on top of those.  nice job that is impressive. 

super interesting how the curves are almost identical until 4500.  what happens to boost @ 4500? 

it would be interesting to see the boost curve laid on top of those.  nice job that is impressive. 
It goes up. Might be where his boost controller comes in.  Looks like it would benefit from a smaller turbo..

It goes up. Might be where his boost controller comes in.  Looks like it would benefit from a smaller turbo..
Smaller turbo doesn’t seem to be needed.  Put it on the dyno this morning and tuned the boost control valve and waste gate, it now comes on at 2,500. 

shook it out at Dumont this evening and it’s got more power than the paddles can deal with everywhere on low boost setting.  

I accidentally took off in 3rd gear and the car just blew through it. 

Let me clarify. My MoTeC builder had noticed that there was always some exhaust bleeding off through the waste gate.   Turns out that somebody, and I won’t say who, neglected to install the valve seats when they put the waste gate together.

Ok, it was me.  

Back