My air cooled turbo project. (no more E85, just race fuel)

They might be using brushless motors, which would be a new development, after I talked to the fuel system expert, circa 2003. Anything that emits a spark is a nono in a diesel fuel tank. 
new development????  2003 is almost 2 decades ago..... pumps have been going into fuel tanks on production vehicles since the late 80's.

Speaking of gas tanks, I need to have a new one built.  Does it need to be made from stainless or since I plan on draining the system every trip, can it be aluminum?
I'm not sure. I think someone like sausage450r would know a lot more than I do about that. If you get one with a bladder, the fuel doesn't touch the metal. 

Drums of X85 (VP E85) are $450, about the same as VP 110, and since I’m running a pair of inter coolers now and I have my old LT250r back, which runs on 110, perhaps it makes sense to build the engine for 110.

any ideas on where to get quality E85 for less than $9/gal?

Drums of X85 (VP E85) are $450, about the same as VP 110, and since I’m running a pair of inter coolers now and I have my old LT250r back, which runs on 110, perhaps it makes sense to build the engine for 110.

any ideas on where to get quality E85 for less than $9/gal?
If you are in the Phoenix area Western state petroleum sell VP X85 for around 5.00 a gallon.

Its been a while since I purchased in CalifornIa but when I did the 76 station at the 91 and Green River was about 2 bucks a gallon from the Pump. (January 2020)   

If you are in the Phoenix area Western state petroleum sell VP X85 for around 5.00 a gallon.

Its been a while since I purchased in CalifornIa but when I did the 76 station at the 91 and Green River was about 2 bucks a gallon from the Pump. (January 2020)   
The thing is that most E85 at the pump isn’t E85, from what I read it’s mostly E25-E65 and finding 85% ethanol at the pump is a unicorn. 

The thing is that most E85 at the pump isn’t E85, from what I read it’s mostly E25-E65 and finding 85% ethanol at the pump is a unicorn. 
Its been a while since I looked into this topic (5 or 6 years), but my understanding it that its not that bad.  maybe down to 75% or up to 90%.  there are a bunch of test kits out there to check it, so you can make trim adjustments based on actual %.

Bob

Its been a while since I looked into this topic (5 or 6 years), but my understanding it that its not that bad.  maybe down to 75% or up to 90%.  there are a bunch of test kits out there to check it, so you can make trim adjustments based on actual %.

Bob
My MoTeC M130 GPR has a flex fuel sensor, the ECU will automatically make the trim adjustments. But those adjustments are less boost and less advance = less power.  It might be worth it to buy a hydrometer and test a few local pumps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a quick search & it looks like most of the changes are the whole summer/winter blend thing that they do with "regular" gasoline (& it varies by region more than anything) & not as much about batch to batch variation (which is what other folks were complaining about).  interesting topic. 

I just opened an account with downs energey so I can order X85 by the drum but $450 and I expect to burn 1/2 drum a day 

now, I’m getting my old LT250R back and I’m wondering if I convert it to E85….. because I’m an idiot LOL. 

Fuels I need:

Diesel for the truck

101 for the LT250R

pump for the generator 

propane for the camper

E85 for the car

Lighter fluid for the fire

butane for my cigaret lighter

I need to drive more carefully with all that onboard LOL

The place right off of the 15 @ Magnolia is where we used to get the C16 for the OL10.5 car. 

And yea, between the # of fuels we have to get, the QTY of the fuels & the # of Tires we have to check, we spend as much time screwing around with "stuff" as duning....  LOL.

The place right off of the 15 @ Magnolia is where we used to get the C16 for the OL10.5 car. 

And yea, between the # of fuels we have to get, the QTY of the fuels & the # of Tires we have to check, we spend as much time screwing around with "stuff" as duning....  LOL.
Yea, that’s downs energy, I just opened an account yesterday. 

Now I’m looking for a fly by wire accelerator petal.  We have already settled on a Hitachi ETB0013 throttle body but now I’m looking for a pedal.  Actually I’m thinking of using my existing pedal and a short linkage to a throttle control but I’m concerned about sand jamming the control up.  What are some good throttle controls? 

You got me, but what your talking about is exactly how the throttle on my 99 Ram is configured.  if you did not know any better, you would think its just a cable going to a TB, but its connected to a TPS (they call it an APPS, Accelerator Peddle Position Switch.  it has a Pot & a switch in one unit). 

Bob

Believe @Spize909 used an Ecotec FBW out of a cavalier or something.  Hopefully he logs in and can confirm but if not might check that out

Believe @Spize909 used an Ecotec FBW out of a cavalier or something.  Hopefully he logs in and can confirm but if not might check that out
Yes, but I did not do the conversion. First engine was a 2.2 out of a Cavalier and then a 2.4 from a Malibu.

So, I want to cut off the injector bungs and put them on the bottom so they spray straight into the valve.  Any ideas?

F7E8128F-8DE1-4966-847E-4C4DE7F00A1D.png

Back