My air cooled turbo project. (no more E85, just race fuel)

I’m wondering if this can be fixed.  We were out past flagpole and the bolt connecting my lower trailing arm snapped.  I ended up bending my shock a little bit  

I had been exploring upgrading shocks but it just seems like swimming upstream and these shocks work pretty darn well out in the dunes. I’m not opposed to buying a new set of shocks but to my thinking a 2” tube is a 2” tube and I’m not going to see any real performance advantage without something significantly different.  So, why piss away money just to have something new?

well, here’s what happened 

rRYNt7.jpg

We got the shock out!!!

xpyCPO.jpg

Fixed it!!! Good as new!  (it does ride a little stiff now)

uczlLi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a bummer.  I had a bunch of these kinds of issues when I was trying to keep up with the big V8 buggies in my beam car VeeWee.  just kept beating it to death every weekend. 

thats a bummer.  I had a bunch of these kinds of issues when I was trying to keep up with the big V8 buggies in my beam car VeeWee.  just kept beating it to death every weekend. 
I don’t think that’s the problem, the big V8’s have trouble keeping up with me in the dunes.  It was a 25 year old bolt that snapped.  I hit a rat-track very hard at the end of last trip and I’m about 90% sure that’s what wounded the bolt.    I’m replacing all those bolts with ARP for next season,  this season is done.  Just too much work. I actually shouldn’t have even gone on this trip.

I see new fox shafts for less than $80, how do I check to see if the inside of the tube was damaged?  

If your in San Diego, Down South Motorsports is who used to fix up my shocks.  great folks.

If your in San Diego, Down South Motorsports is who used to fix up my shocks.  great folks.
I rebuilt my shocks myself in a few hours, It’s not particularly complicated.   I’m just wondering if I can repair it with just a shaft. 

Wear a helmet and mouthpiece.
I wore eye protection, helmet would have been a good idea.

The spring was under a little bit more pressure than I had predicted … and by “a little bit” it’s like how I bent the shock “a little bit” good thing I was standing out of the way when it went. For others trying, I don’t think you can be too carful doing this.

image-jpg.1201169

Last edited by a moderator:
While I’m at it, I’m thinking about replacing my heim joints….

amazon $10, Kartek $31, there are 34 of them.  No idea what to get.

Now all I need is a ratchet, some sockets and wrenches to put it back on the car.  

FDDBDAAE-D839-43F4-91F8-AA2ECAE4091A.jpeg

Season is over for me, just too many little things and not enough time.  

First up:  I snapped 2 of my turbo flange bolts.  I’m guessing I need some high temp tolerant bolt.  What should I use?

image.jpg

Back