My air cooled turbo project. (no more E85, just race fuel)

Great!

But I can barely weld and wouldn’t even begin to weld aluminum. 

Start a topic stating your location, and that you need someone to TIG aluminum..

JMHO, but I doubt there will be any HP or BSFC gains by going through that exercise.  leave it alone & spend the money on extra dyno time.  there will be real gains there.

JMHO, but I doubt there will be any HP or BSFC gains by going through that exercise.  leave it alone & spend the money on extra dyno time.  there will be real gains there.
You are correct, there will be not HP gain by moving the injector, the issue is the issue is that the car is cold blooded and switching to E85, even though we’re using a smaller cam, the issue is going to be worse.  Spraying directly past the valve should help that.  If you look at the Mexican injected Beatles, they have the injectors set up that way and I’d use their manifolds except they don’t fit super flow heads.  

I really need to stop talking to my tuner, he’s more expensive than calling a lawyer.  

I was working on my Bergmann fan shroud fixing some fiberglass blemishes when he suggested I look and see if Bergmann would just sell me a replacement shroud ….. turns out he will for $375 shipped but the new kit he offers has a 110A alternator instead of the 65 and blows a lot more air over the cylinders. As an added bonus, it uses a serpentine belt and idler pulley so no more shims.    So, after a 1/2 hr phone call from Bergmann this morning, he is going set me up with the new setup once he gets the rod length from my builder and a pulley sized for my 6,200 RPM limiter.  

https://www.bergmannvw.net/Website-New/pages/fan_kits_super_flow.html

I will say this, Bernie is the real deal.  The guy is a perfectionist and really knows everything under the sun about making an air cooled engine run right.     He was a real joy to speak with.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I raised my right rear seat about 5/8”, finished up last night.  Final fit was a real beatch!

I need the clearance for my 14”x14” setrab cooler and 12” fan. I had been running the seat at stock height last season and the fan ran reall slow but just raising the seat 1/2” makes a world of difference. Plus this new engine is going to burn 2X as much fuel which = heat which needs to be exported.  I hope this is enough otherwise I’ll be adding another oil cooler and I don’t know where 😞 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I need help, I need to find a fly by wire pedal converter or a fly by wire pedal… not having much luck becaus most of what I find is designed to mount from above or from a firewall. 

Any ideas?

Still waiting on my long block…8 months later.  Builder has 2 engines of mine to pick parts from, I’m getting frustrated.   

Ive decided that since I’m doing iInner cooler, and i can buy 110at the pump now that I have a boat, and a dorum of VP E85 is about the same price as VP110, I’m just going to do a 101 0ctane engine.   I can mix 110 and 91 in the drum at downs energy when I buy it.  

Not sure if just running straight 101 might be best ad the leaded 110 will eat O2 sensors.  110 VP is expensive but so are O2 sensors.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting on my long block…8 months later.  Builder has 2 engines of mine to pick parts from, I’m getting frustrated.   

Ive decided that since I’m doing iInner cooler, and i can buy 110at the pump now that I have a boat, and a dorum of VP E85 is about the same price as VP110, I’m just going to do a 101 0ctane engine.   I can mix 110 and 91 in the drum at downs energy when I buy it.  

Not sure if just running straight 101 might be best ad the leaded 110 will eat O2 sensors.  110 VP is expensive but so are O2 sensors.  
E85 and 110 octane are the same price??  I am seeing E85 in Corona around $3.15 a gallon today at the pump (not Downs).  I have tested the fuel every time I fill up, I haven't seen it below 85 yet in the area.

E85 and 110 octane are the same price??  I am seeing E85 in Corona around $3.15 a gallon today at the pump (not Downs).  I have tested the fuel every time I fill up, I haven't seen it below 85 yet in the area.
We must be neighbors lol. Is that the station 76 station on Compton? I thinks he’s talking about a barrel of race e85 and not pump e85. 

We must be neighbors lol. Is that the station 76 station on Compton? I thinks he’s talking about a barrel of race e85 and not pump e85. 
I just looked up the prices on my E85 app for Corona.  I am just a bit South from there

Another issue with the E85 is I’d need a bigger tank.  The season is here in I need to get the car together.  Long block should br done late this week or early next.  

Engine will be done early next week. turbo, wastegate and bypass are ordered and should be in by Friday.  Exhaust is being scheduled for 11/15. And I’m working on a PCI radio right now.  

It’s coming together!

I’m looking for a chase light bar that won’t break the bank.  I’m running a PDM so I really don’t want a smart light bar, looking for something with separate wires for L, R, break and reverse.  I don’t want one of these Bluetooth things where you various combinations of wires make various things happen.  Is that even available?

I just want running lights at night, break lights in the day  and perhaps some courtesy illumination for hanging out at night or for engine repairs.  

Whelen might have something.  They can configure their light bars so each section of the light to have a different function on it's own wire.  The sections can also be configured to whatever color you'd like.

Setting up an appointment to have my exhaust built in Kingman for 2 weeks from now!

It’s coming together!

Making SOME progress, decided to remove my mirror (the brackets worked great for my chase light) mounted the M130 and PDM 32, hopefully I can complete my chassis harness today. I’ll pose a few photos later.  Also decided to ditch the electronic pedal and  use the original pedal and a livorsi marine electronic throttle adapter.  

Back