chEFFs Dream Home Build

"Who the hell tunnels in to prison"
when you are one of the richest drug lords in the world he had his minions dig a tunnel like mentioned above, "in to prison" and the last part was to go "up into his cell" where he escaped

OK. Explanation. When the plumbing is roughed in at the beginning of foundation prep. They have a water test inspection BEFORE they're allowed to cover up the pipes (Pre-Concrete). Fill up the pipes with water. The water has to hold it's level. Once green tagged they cover all the pipes with the dirt they trenched. WE THINK, when they were covering the pipes they must have nic'd that one pipe somehow with the blade of the excavator. The next water test is a pressure test inspection. That  comes once they do the above foundation plumbing, shower tubs, sinks, main water throughout the house etc..... Yes, you are correct. The shittter pipes will never have PRESSURE in them but, when they have the inspection test ALL pipes have to be filled with water and applied air pressure to them. If the water holds the same level (NO LEAKS), Green Tag. Well, this pipe had a tiny leak. Then came the "How do we find where it's leaking? This was pretty cool. NOT that we wanted this to happen but since it did here we go. They would section off the house to find the culprit pipe. Master bath / kitchen / guest house #1 / Guest house #2 / Powder Bath / Game Room. The plumbing company ALL NEEDZ PLUMBING had a separate division within their company that specialized strictly in this field. Find the leak. Albeit normally on completed homes not NEW CONST homes. It happened to be the powder bath shiitter pipe. I thought they would jack hammer the concrete straight down. I was wrong. They called in the boyz who tunneled out El Chapo and Boom, they were in! Had the city come back out Thursday to inspect. PASS. The same can be said for the sprinkler system / electrical / framing. All must pass inspection before you cover it all up. Which is tomorrow Monday JAN 3rd. They came back Friday New Years Eve and re-filled the hole/tunnel. Clean job I might add. Hope that explains. Looking forward to the next step. Make this place look like a Home. Peace   

How did they replace the soil? How did they compact the soil? Do you have a PT (post tension) slab? 

The Problem Pipe! Peace

View attachment 22223
So the leak was the little smilie face shown above?  That’s 3” pipe or are you saying that supply water? No ABS?  
so the big pile of first on the slap was just from the excavation under the slab?  Somebody actually crawled in that hole and was able to “work” in there?  If so that is amazing

Obviously all this was on their dime?

I too would assume you would cut into the slab to fix the leak, unless that’s a post tension slab? Then you can’t cut into it. 

I’d be worried about soil compaction and overtime the soil settling leaving a void or causing a slab crack or sinking. 

what was the reason for tunneling vs cutting into the slab? Also I assume they will stand behind this if in a few years there’s an issue? 

I too would assume you would cut into the slab to fix the leak, unless that’s a post tension slab? Then you can’t cut into it. 

I’d be worried about soil compaction and overtime the soil settling leaving a void or causing a slab crack or sinking. 

what was the reason for tunneling vs cutting into the slab? Also I assume they will stand behind this if in a few years there’s an issue? 

I have also seen over time when the trenches settle, rats and rodents take up that space under the slab and its like a freeway under there.

On one of my first jobs as an Electrician I had to dig a similar tunnel. It was at a Price Club ( Costco)  There was a 3/4" conduit that was stubbed out of a light pole base.  The concrete guy's had poured a large section of stamped concrete right where our conduit was stubbed out.  The Foreman determined it would be cheaper to have me and another apprentice to tunnel under the cart corral or what ever it was then to cut and had patched. ...... Well that was until the GC walked out after we found it and said to fill it with sand slurry.

I hope they filled the void with slurry so you don't get any settling 

I hope they filled the void with slurry so you don't get any settling 

They filled the hole with the dirt they removed. Slurry? Peace 

The problem child. Peace

Pipe Problem.jpg

They filled the hole with the dirt they removed. Slurry? Peace 
Think self leveling concrete that has sand instead of aggregate.  It has 100% compaction and wouldn't leave voids 

Glad they could figure it out... and paid for it! 

-TJ

Back