chEFFs Dream Home Build

Just went thru the Electrical Plans with the builder. 3 1/2 hrs of total grind. Where light switches go. 3-way 4-way. Exterior lighting. Soffit lighting. Kitchen / bathroom / hallway / garage / game room / powder bath / bedroom / under cabinet lighting (Cool Stuff) how much AMPerage do we want from the street to the house? How many AMPS does your water feature pumps use? It got pretty extensive. Enjoyed the time spent. It's amazing when you see yourself walking thru your home and knowing where you'll want to turn on and off a light. It may seem a little overkill to some, but I prefer to have it all there now rather than later. Much easier. Peace

Just went thru the Electrical Plans with the builder. 3 1/2 hrs of total grind. Where light switches go. 3-way 4-way. Exterior lighting. Soffit lighting. Kitchen / bathroom / hallway / garage / game room / powder bath / bedroom / under cabinet lighting (Cool Stuff) how much AMPerage do we want from the street to the house? How many AMPS does your water feature pumps use? It got pretty extensive. Enjoyed the time spent. It's amazing when you see yourself walking thru your home and knowing where you'll want to turn on and off a light. It may seem a little overkill to some, but I prefer to have it all there now rather than later. Much easier. Peace
Do a walk thru with them at the house on the day they do the layout before they start boxing.  Make sure it's where you want it

Do a walk thru with them at the house on the day they do the layout before they start boxing.  Make sure it's where you want it

Thats exactly what my builder said. We'll do a walk thru before hand. Peace

You likely have this covered already but just in case, remember, you almost can't have too many 110v outlets. Especially in garages/shops. I have them put at every 10' in my garages and shops. Overkill? Maybe, but I never need to go searching for an extension cord. Also, make sure to put outlets in places like closets, especially walk-in closets. You would be surprised how handy they are in a closet.  And allow for lots of outdoor outlets or ability to expand and add them when you want. And don't forget under the eaves for X-mas lights and such. 

You likely have this covered already but just in case, remember, you almost can't have too many 110v outlets. Especially in garages/shops. I have them put at every 10' in my garages and shops. Overkill? Maybe, but I never need to go searching for an extension cord. Also, make sure to put outlets in places like closets, especially walk-in closets. You would be surprised how handy they are in a closet.  And allow for lots of outdoor outlets or ability to expand and add them when you want. And don't forget under the eaves for X-mas lights and such. 
Forgot to mention, put outlets in your kitchen pantry too, especially if it is a walk-in. And think about where you want to hang your cordless vacuum. If that's in a laundry room, entryway closet or wherever you plan to put it, make sure you have an outlet there conducive to plug it in and charge it. 

Are you putting in a central controlled lighting system? Can't begin to tell you how convenient these are. Especially if you include control of your exterior lighting which I highly recommend. How about a whole house sound system or at least built in surround sound in your main A/V locations? I will say, if you are at all music type folks, put in a whole house sound system. You will love it if you do it right. 

Can I offer more suggestions to help you spend your money? 🤑🤑💰 :showmoney:

This is good, but I would add more.  My shop is every 2' at the workbench, every 4' on the wall.  Once you add cabinets, tools boxes, etc, you will cover a lot of them.  

Don't forget to wire for surround sound. I'd also wire for ceiling speakers in most rooms. I mean if I was single and could listen to music and an enjoyable volume. :lol:

Can I offer more suggestions to help you spend your money? 🤑🤑💰 :showmoney:

YES DEAR! Please Do. HA! You and the wife are doing great. Keep up the good work. Peace

Don't forget to wire for surround sound. I'd also wire for ceiling speakers in most rooms. I mean if I was single and could listen to music and an enjoyable volume. :lol:

We ROCK N ROLL. The wife loves her two favorite types of music...Country and Western.

Da chEFF likes his Queensryche. This house is going to Crank! Peace

Another thing that makes life a little easier, as long as you're at it, is USB charging outlets. Anywhere you are charging a phone, pad, or other device, these are super handy and easy to install up front. No need to worry losing your charging adapter, all you need is a cheap USB cable. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Decora-Combination-Tamper-Resistant-Duplex-Outlet-and-USB-Charger-White-3-Pack-M02-T5632-3BW/301351320

and you if have a lot of devices, and/or want to future proof, you can get the outlets with USB type A and Type C ports 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Decora-Type-A-and-C-USB-Charger-Tamper-Resistant-Outlet-White-R02-T5633-0BW/303205383#product-overview

Last edited by a moderator:
A few general lighting suggestions ( from someone who works full time in lighting) 

- Pick a color temperature and try to stay with it throughout the entire house, including undercabinet lights, and screw in bulbs. Either 2700K (warm) or 3000K (neutral), nothing higher than 3000K for residential, unless you have you a strong personal preference for something higher.

- Try and pick downlight with a CRI of 90 or higher. (so colors don't look washed out, like fluorescent) 

- 4" max diameter for downlights. (6" downlights date the house) Try to get a regressed trim, they reduce glare. 

- Should be about able the get good 4" downlight, 90 CRi with regressed trims for under $30 each. If you have trouble finding them PM me. I can drop ship to anywhere in the country. 

- Be sure to match your dimmers to your LED lights, per manufacturer guidelines, to avoid flicker. Not all LED lights work with standard incandescent triac dimmers. 

Good luck, enjoy the ride. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A few general lighting suggestions ( from someone how works full time in lighting) 

- Pick a color temperature and try to stay with throughout the entire house, including undercabinet lights, and screw in bulbs. Either 2700K (warm) or 3000K (neutral), nothing higher than 3000K for residential, unless you have you a strong personal preference for something higher.

- Try and pick downlight with a CRI of 90 or higher. (so colors don't look washed out, like fluorescent) 

- 4" max diameter for downlights. (6" downlights date the house) Try to get a regressed trim, they reduce glare. 

- Should be about able the get good 4" downlight, 90 CRi with regressed trims for under $30 each. If you have trouble finding them PM me. I can drop ship to anywhere in the country. 

- Be sure to match your dimmers to your LED lights, per manufacturer guidelines, to avoid flicker. Not all LED lights work with standard incandescent triac dimmers. 

Good luck, enjoy the ride. 

Many Thanks. Everything helps. I'm counting on others so this helps going in. Peace

My Garage Doors arrived Friday. Unloaded them this morning. I thought I ordered "BLACK" doors. They came White! Looks like i'm going to paint them. DAMN! Peace

This is the color scheme I'm looking for in my house. Peace

IMG_7748.JPG

IMG_7750.JPG

Back