The Transaxle Thread

I have a S5 new on order . The builder says he is waiting on the R&P . Any idea when those may be coming in ? 

I have a S5 new on order . The builder says he is waiting on the R&P . Any idea when those may be coming in ? 
That depends on what ratio it needs, and where your trans kit is on the list. Orders are fulfilled based on date they were placed, and there are far more orders than R&P's that can be manufactured per batch. It is best to check with your trans builder and have them give you an ETA based on your place in line with them. I will not be able to give this info out since I don't know where any specific person is in line with each builder.

For what it worth, we are hoping to have the common 4.63 S4/5 R&P's sometime in the next 3-4 months. But that is not a firm date and will mostly likely get delayed as everything has been over the past two years.

That depends on what ratio it needs, and where your trans kit is on the list. Orders are fulfilled based on date they were placed, and there are far more orders than R&P's that can be manufactured per batch. It is best to check with your trans builder and have them give you an ETA based on your place in line with them. I will not be able to give this info out since I don't know where any specific person is in line with each builder.

For what it worth, we are hoping to have the common 4.63 S4/5 R&P's sometime in the next 3-4 months. But that is not a firm date and will mostly likely get delayed as everything has been over the past two years.
Sean Thank You for the response . You have always been helpful with questions 

Question. Friend has an s5 that is showing a fluid leak (trans fluid) from the bell housing. Is there a front seal that can be replaced without removing the bell hosing?

Question. Friend has an s5 that is showing a fluid leak (trans fluid) from the bell housing. Is there a front seal that can be replaced without removing the bell hosing?
Input shaft seal is behind the throw out bearing guide sleeve. Somewhat easy to replace, just need to stab it and pull the old one out, and use a piece of tubing to set the new seal in place. 

If the leak is between the bell housing and case, then it would need to be removed and resealed with silicone. This requires a series of steps to remove the bell housing properly by releasing the preload on the dowels.

Input shaft seal is behind the throw out bearing guide sleeve. Somewhat easy to replace, just need to stab it and pull the old one out, and use a piece of tubing to set the new seal in place. 

If the leak is between the bell housing and case, then it would need to be removed and resealed with silicone. This requires a series of steps to remove the bell housing properly by releasing the preload on the dowels.
Thanks Sean, see what happens.

I believe the HD4 was discontinued is there any gears or R&p's made for them?

what throwout  bearing substitute is there for there on the S5 with the ls based bellhousing out of stock on weddle

Trying to figure out if i should swap my vw style to ls bellhousing , new build so need to buy all the parts,  Have heard the 9" twin disks are not that driver friendly where you can get the songle 11" and the drive nicley.

what throwout  bearing substitute is there for there on the S5 with the ls based bellhousing out of stock on weddle

Trying to figure out if i should swap my vw style to ls bellhousing , new build so need to buy all the parts,  Have heard the 9" twin disks are not that driver friendly where you can get the songle 11" and the drive nicley.
We are currently working on a solution for the Sachs VW style throw out bearing that is no longer available to fit the S4/5 transmissions. No real ETA on these as of right now, but getting close.

If you are planning on swapping to the Chevy bell housing, these now come with the Albins hydraulic slave cylinder bolted inside the bell housing. 

We are currently working on a solution for the Sachs VW style throw out bearing that is no longer available to fit the S4/5 transmissions. No real ETA on these as of right now, but getting close.

If you are planning on swapping to the Chevy bell housing, these now come with the Albins hydraulic slave cylinder bolted inside the bell housing. 
Wait you can’t get new throw out bearings for an s4 anymore?

Wait you can’t get new throw out bearings for an s4 anymore?
Sachs changed the design on their VW throw out bearings this year and we can no longer take them apart to install the larger inner bushing to fit over the larger guide sleeve on the S4/5. There are still a few of them floating around, but that supply will not last forever. We are working on a solution to use an adapter and the Albins style press on throw out bearings. 

Which requires some time to very accurately measure since you can't adjust the clutch once buttoned up like an external slave. :biggrin:

Which requires some time to very accurately measure since you can't adjust the clutch once buttoned up like an external slave. :biggrin:
Pro tip: If you buy a clutch from us, we make sure you get the appropriate length slave cylinder to match it.

The hydraulic slave cylinders are self adjusting. The throw out bearing is only pushed back as far as the clutch fingers push it back, therefor it is always right at the fingers with no air gap, so no need to readjust for clutch disc wear and pressure plate finger movement. The clutch pedal should never have to travel more than 3-4" to release/open the clutch (depends on master cylinder bore size).

The only time these can be an issue is if you do not run a clutch pedal stop and over extend the piston and pop it out of the housing, which requires one to pull the engine to pop the slave back together. Or if it over extends into the pressure plate and causes fingers to contact the disc. (This can also happen with VW type arm and external slave cylinder for what it's worth)

Pro tip: If you buy a clutch from us, we make sure you get the appropriate length slave cylinder to match it.

The hydraulic slave cylinders are self adjusting. The throw out bearing is only pushed back as far as the clutch fingers push it back, therefor it is always right at the fingers with no air gap, so no need to readjust for clutch disc wear and pressure plate finger movement. The clutch pedal should never have to travel more than 3-4" to release/open the clutch (depends on master cylinder bore size).

The only time these can be an issue is if you do not run a clutch pedal stop and over extend the piston and pop it out of the housing, which requires one to pull the engine to pop the slave back together. Or if it over extends into the pressure plate and causes fingers to contact the disc. (This can also happen with VW type arm and external slave cylinder for what it's worth)
I'll have to tell my buddies that next time, LOL.  

Overall, it wasn't too bad, just a little annoying with most pressure plates since the fingers aren't 100% consistent and you don't want to F it up and help a buddy yank a motor in the dunes. :biggrin:

Sachs changed the design on their VW throw out bearings this year and we can no longer take them apart to install the larger inner bushing to fit over the larger guide sleeve on the S4/5. There are still a few of them floating around, but that supply will not last forever. We are working on a solution to use an adapter and the Albins style press on throw out bearings. 
So basically the 6 I bought from you last year are now highly valuable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the bushings in stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back