The Transaxle Thread

Question, I have an 091 bus in my car, I notice that one of the side flanges that holds the cv has a lot of up and down play.  what causes this? does it need a new case? 

Thanks, awesome thread!!!
That could be a few things, but most likely the diff carrier itself is worn out, allowing the side gear shaft to have play in the bore. There should be minimal movement in these parts. Certainly worth taking care of sooner rather than later before something breaks and causes more damage. 

That could be a few things, but most likely the diff carrier itself is worn out, allowing the side gear shaft to have play in the bore. There should be minimal movement in these parts. Certainly worth taking care of sooner rather than later before something breaks and causes more damage. 
Thanks for the quick reply, tranny's coming out this weekend.

Volkswagen Type 1 Transaxles:

The type 1 has the smallest R&P and differential gears, which typically limit how much power they can handle and how hard they can be driven. A fully built Type 1 can reliably handle around 200 HP at the crank in a lightweight sand rail.

Type 1 transaxles were used in the VW Beetle and were very common to use in early off-road buggy's. This is where it all started.

Early units from 1961-1968 are known as Swing-Axles. These have fixed length axles and axle tubes attached at the trans which have a single pivot at the transaxle housing. These have limited wheel travel due to the max angle allowed at the pivot and fixed length axles. 1968 model years have longest length axles and are the best to use for off-road buggy's for max wheel travel. 

1969 and later units are known as IRS units. These use the common CV joints that are still used today and allow for a lot more wheel travel with longer length axles and double jointed pivots, which allow for more articulation of the suspension pivots. 

Both swing axle and IRS transaxles have the same R&P and 1st-4th gear sets, with some minor variations in early to later internal designs. Any new transaxle built today would incorporate the best of early and later parts to make for a strong gearbox.

Parts for all VW transaxles today are becoming obsolete everyday and cost is rising. The days of a "cheap" VW transaxle are quickly fading as more parts are having to be remanufactured at higher costs and lower volumes.
Will all the gears on a 091 six rib bus type 1 if they're weddle parts go into mendiola's D-2 case what all would you need thanks

Or what case would be easiest to transfer to that is stronger than stock thanks

Will all the gears on a 091 six rib bus type 1 if they're weddle parts go into mendiola's D-2 case what all would you need thanks
Or what case would be easiest to transfer to that is stronger than stock thanks
No, 091 and 2D gears are not the same, with the exception of 4th gear which is an 091 gear.

A MD4E will use Type 1/002 gearset. the MD2D uses it's own 1st-3rd gear (wider than VW gears).

@Sean@Weddle

Thanks for being at the SSSS. Had a nice discussion with one of your guys.  Curious when the updated shift housing assembly will be available for the S4.

Thanks

GM

@Sean@Weddle

Thanks for being at the SSSS. Had a nice discussion with one of your guys.  Curious when the updated shift housing assembly will be available for the S4.

Thanks

GM
I wasted a couple hours of Sean's time Friday night... I learned a little about SxS gearboxes too - that was very interesting ... thanks again @Sean@Weddle for all the support

Mendeola/Weddle S4/S5 and S4D/S5D (procured by Weddle Ind. in 2013)

These units were the next level up from a 2D transaxle for many years. These utilized a racing style "sequential shift" design that eliminated the H-pattern shift system in the VW and MD transaxles. The sequential shift works on a ratchet mechanism where one push/pull of the shift lever is one upshift or downshift, the same way any motorcycle gearbox is operated. These are also "Dog engagement" gears by design, which allow for extremely fast shifts, and can also be shifted without the clutch with proper shift techniques.  

These have large gears that can handle lots of power, as well as a full size reverse gear that is such stronger than the weak VW and MD reverse gears.

The S4/S5 units have a 10" R&P and can handle upwards of 700 HP at the crank, with no larger than 35" tires. The R&P becomes the weak link under higher power and harder driving. These are available standard with VW bell housings, or a Chevy V8/LS bell housing that will use a larger 10.4" and 11" clutch's for much better drivability. 

https://weddleindustries.com/products/S4-TRANS/S4-TRANS

The S4D/S5D units are identical in function and use the same gears the S4/S5, but with a larger 11.5" R&P to handle more power and bigger tires. These can handle upwards of 1000 HP at the crank in most applications. 

https://weddleindustries.com/products/S4D-TRANS/S4D-TRANS

Weddle Industries procured the rights to produce these units in 2013. Many improvements and design changes have been incorporated into these since then. The new "Gen 3" shift mechanism released in 2020 allows for faster, crisper shifts, as well as allows for "no-lift-shift" capabilities with proper ECU's and tuning. External paddle shift systems can also be added with the use of a proper ECU and tuning.

Oil Capacities:

S4/5: 5 Quarts

S4D/S5D: 6.75 Quarts
Are these the most comparable to the Albins?  Are parts going to be easier to obtain?

S5D SEQUENTIAL TRANS - COMPLETE
Sequential 5-speed with a hefty 11.5" R&P. Originally known as the Mendeola S5D, the Weddle S5D features 85mm shaft centers, heavy-duty gears, larger bearings, and a full size, fully functional reverse gear paired with a heavy duty 11.5" ring and pinion set. The Weddle S5D is an excellent choice for desert pre-runners and/or street legal buggies running high-horsepower V-8 engines. Three different ratios of Weddle Racing ring and pinions and a wide selection of Weddle Industries propriety 1st through 5th gears make it easy to tailor this trans for your specific applicati

Are these the most comparable to the Albins?  Are parts going to be easier to obtain?

S5D SEQUENTIAL TRANS - COMPLETE
Sequential 5-speed with a hefty 11.5" R&P. Originally known as the Mendeola S5D, the Weddle S5D features 85mm shaft centers, heavy-duty gears, larger bearings, and a full size, fully functional reverse gear paired with a heavy duty 11.5" ring and pinion set. The Weddle S5D is an excellent choice for desert pre-runners and/or street legal buggies running high-horsepower V-8 engines. Three different ratios of Weddle Racing ring and pinions and a wide selection of Weddle Industries propriety 1st through 5th gears make it easy to tailor this trans for your specific applicati
We are starting to feel ok with saying a S4D will be able to handle about 1200 HP/TQ at the crank. There are other running more than that right now, but we don't have enough practical data from services to know if they are holding up to that power.

The S5D will still be limited to about 850 HP/TQ at the crank based on a bit narrower gears.

The S4/S5 units have a 10" R&P and can handle upwards of 700 HP at the crank, with no larger than 35" tires. The R&P becomes the weak link under higher power and harder driving. These are available standard with VW bell housings, or a Chevy V8/LS bell housing that will use a larger 10.4" and 11" clutch's for much better drivability. 
Sean,

Is there a Chevy bellhousing available for the S4 today.  Curious if I can convert the VW pattern to the Chevy bellhousing.  My last car had and older version of this on the S4.

Sean,

Is there a Chevy bellhousing available for the S4 today.  Curious if I can convert the VW pattern to the Chevy bellhousing.  My last car had and older version of this on the S4.
Yes, we make a Chevy bell housing for the S4/S5 that uses the Albins internal slave cylinder, and will utilize a full size clutch/flywheel and block mounted starter. 

Yes, we make a Chevy bell housing for the S4/S5 that uses the Albins internal slave cylinder, and will utilize a full size clutch/flywheel and block mounted starter. 
Great, any obstacles internal to the trans if I wanted to do this or have it swapped?

Is there any sort of downloadable service manual with backlash specs, gear tolerances, etc? MD4E is what im looking for

Great write up, What I have done in the past for conversion from 2D to S4, is -  the very end of the Hockey stick in a 2D is about where the end of the S4 rear plate, (not shift Sensor) will be, 

so for example if your hockey stick is hanging over the Trailing arm housing, then the housing most likely will have to get cut out, 

This will get the ball rolling on planning with a quick look at the car without pulling out a measuring tape,   

Great, any obstacles internal to the trans if I wanted to do this or have it swapped?
Need to change out the input shaft, which requires a set of decent snap ring pliers. There is a procedure to removing and installing the bell housing though, requires loosening the nuts on one of the side covers to release the preload on the housing and bell housing interface so you don't wallow out the dowel holes on the new bell housing. Not hard, just need to know the right steps.

Is there any sort of downloadable service manual with backlash specs, gear tolerances, etc? MD4E is what im looking for
We are working on these, have been for the past few years as time allows. The E-box is mostly a VW Type 1 as far as the gear section is concerned. The other diff components are not terribly difficult for anyone that has been in and out of a typical rear end on a pickup truck or Jeep. The major key with these is having the proper shift jig to work on them. Cannot adjust shift forks or reverse without the proper shift jig.

Great write up, What I have done in the past for conversion from 2D to S4, is -  the very end of the Hockey stick in a 2D is about where the end of the S4 rear plate, (not shift Sensor) will be, 

so for example if your hockey stick is hanging over the Trailing arm housing, then the housing most likely will have to get cut out, 

This will get the ball rolling on planning with a quick look at the car without pulling out a measuring tape,   
Sent u a pm 

Back