The official Honda Thread

Not really.  Unless someone blocked them off, there should be two small nipples that used to run to the IAC valve.
OK, thx...now that I know what I'm looking for think I found it, and made some red marks.  Not positive on the flow direction, but looks like water exits the thermostat housing thru vertical nipple to hose #2, eventually connects to hose #3 (thru a bunch of plumbing) and enters the throttle body, exits TB thru hose #1, and back into coolant manifold via the horizontal nipple. 

Does that look right? 

J35 water manifold.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thx...now that I know what I'm looking for think I found it, and made some red marks.  Not positive on the flow direction, but looks like water exits the thermostat housing thru vertical nipple to hose #2, eventually connects to hose #3 (thru a bunch of plumbing) and enters the throttle body, exits TB thru hose #1, and back into coolant manifold via the horizontal nipple. 

Does that look right? 

View attachment 16019
Pretty much, but the water flows the other direction.

UGH...

Guess I might need to do a bit of fire extinguishing.

Somehow, after offering a guy some of the quickest service I've ever really committed to, on multiple batches of 6+ harnesses each, he decides to openly call me out on his website.  He claims the harnesses are dirty and hacked up.  Well, I don't build them from scratch.  I reuse OE units from the Junkyard.  Junkyard parts are dirty.  I spray them down in SuperClean and rinse the off a couple times.  Are they spotless?  Nope.

To the best of my knowledge the only "issue" one of his customers had was actually their own fault.  I spent hours on the phone between them only to find out the guy routed the coil connections wrong.

He claims he "stopped using" me because of issues.  In reality, the guy never picked up the phone.  He would send me stuff to mod, or ask me for a batch, then go silent.  I simply couldn't get in touch with him.  Claimed he was "on the mountain".  Whatever that meant, hunting maybe.  No return calls, no text, not even a reply on his "contact us" part of their website. I currently have a box of his sht that I have know idea what he wants done.  Been in my office since April.  Guy won't pick up the phone..

Anyway....

Unfortunate, because he offers some neat stuff for Honda guys.  I'm not gonna try and burn him down.  Buy his stuff if you want.  We did some trades, and the stuff I got seemed to be good quality.

Interesting deep dive if anyone is interested -  

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/choosing-a-turbocharger/water-cooling-for-your-turbo/

The TLDR version: Water cooling’s main benefit actually occurs after the engine has been shut down. so if you are running ball a ball bearing turbo without water cooling, good idea to let turbo cool down before shutting down, to prolong bearing life. 
You should always let the turbo  cool a bit before shut down.  I always let me car idle for a minute or two when we stop, most people I know that have turbos do so.  it can't hurt

Not really.  Unless someone blocked them off, there should be two small nipples that used to run to the IAC valve.
So my coolant manifold has bene modified and doesn't really look like stock. Cann't see any coolant to throttle body nipples, or even where they have been blocked off (at least not with engine in buggy) 

- Any suggestions for where to tap into coolant with this kind of layout? 

- In second pic, is this looped hose coolant or something else?  

Trying to figure this out myself, but very little info online for J35 transplants with flipped intakes. 

Thx...

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

So my coolant manifold has bene modified and doesn't really look like stock. Cann't see any coolant to throttle body nipples, or even where they have been blocked off (at least not with engine in buggy) 

- Any suggestions for where to tap into coolant with this kind of layout? 

- In second pic, is this looped hose coolant or something else?  

Trying to figure this out myself, but very little info online for J35 transplants with flipped intakes. 

Thx...

View attachment 16190
First picture looks like someone hacked off the entire thermostat housing from the crossover tube.

drill and tap a NPT fitting in each circled area. if your turbo is on the other side, see if you have room on the other side of the crossover to drill and tap them. Then just hook up the hoses to the turbo. it doesnt matter what one goes to what side of the turbo

honda water nipple 2.jpg

honda water nipple.jpg

drill and tap a NPT fitting in each circled area. if your turbo is on the other side, see if you have room on the other side of the crossover to drill and tap them. Then just hook up the hoses to the turbo. it doesnt matter what one goes to what side of the turbo

View attachment 16192

View attachment 16193
appreciate the info! 

new to hondas and this motor, and still trying to sort it out. 

On the first photo, looks like we want to tap the lower half, correct? Appears the upper half of the manifold is the supply to the radiator and the lower half is the return from radiator? 

and in the second photo, the red circle is an area to pick up the supply?

thx...

appreciate the info! 

new to hondas and this motor, and still trying to sort it out. 

On the first photo, looks like we want to tap the lower half, correct? Appears the upper half of the manifold is the supply to the radiator and the lower half is the return from radiator? 

and in the second photo, the red circle is an area to pick up the supply?

thx...
return and supply arent really the correct terms to use here as it can get confusing. you just need to have ports on the car side that are on opposite ends of the water pump. those locations i listed do that so you get circulation. the turbo doesnt care which end is incoming and outgoing. 

Thanks again for the info, really appreciate the help understanding whats going on with my plumbing. 

This is what a factory one would look like.  The two small hoses, one behind the tstat, and the other to the right of it.

Don't orry other stuff..

DBAEE79A-2B44-417D-81D9-EDE4AF4B6B01.jpeg

This is what a factory one would look like.  The two small hoses, one behind the tstat, and the other to the right of it.

Don't orry other stuff..

View attachment 16201
good stuff, thx...like LtPyro said, looks like someone hacked off my themorstat housing....typical for sand car I guess, but does take a while to warm up 

BTW - this is what Garrett recommends for turbo cooling. More important for street cars (and semis) that log 100K+ miles, I'm sure, but still kinda interesting 

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 2.23.59 PM.png

Dear lord Honda............. way to make it simple.  LOL. 
LOL.  It does a lot of stuff.  Upper and lower radiator hoses. Heating for the throttle body.  Heater hose outlet. The valve at the very top with three nipples induces air right at the injector tip in the lower plenum.  EGR, ECT sensor, temp gauge sender (this is an earlier one), and fan relay control...  It's busy.

To the great gurus of the Honda conversions, what should i do with the big nipple coming off the valve cover next to the oil fill cap? I believe it was meant to run pre tb?

To the great gurus of the Honda conversions, what should i do with the big nipple coming off the valve cover next to the oil fill cap? I believe it was meant to run pre tb?
It goes to the pcv on the valve cover

16352818597788261548728014273353.jpg

16352818743747302228437719340369.jpg

Back