The official Honda Thread

How difficult was the assembly and also installing the block guards?

Thanks.  Can't wait to finish it up.  Still waiting on a few parts.

Very Nice.  Care to share some additional details?  What numbers are you hoping for?
Halferland block guards
ARP Head Studs
BC rods
Traum Pistons (89.5mm)

Still waiting for a water pump and a few other misc parts to finish it up.

The rest is stock but new as I want this to be a drop in engine replacement.  I'm running 10psi boost on a stock engine with premium pump fuel at the moment.  Hoping to bump that number up a little with a more reliability.  I threw a rod in the previous engine because I forgot to lower the rev limit when I installed the AEM ECU.  After I found that mistake its been a very good engine.  My goal is 500hp.  I'll take is as far as pump fuel will let me (probably close to the limit), then I'll jump to 50/50 with race fuel and see how she does.

which rods and pistons are you using? 
BC rods
Traum Pistons

How difficult was the assembly and also installing the block guards?
Block guards are super simple.  Line them up and gently tap them down walking it from side to side and top to bottom with a plastic tip hammer.  On their website (halferlandperformance) says you can use an adhesive around it or just tap it down.  I chose to install without adhesive as I think the heat transfer will be better.  Webiste also recommends to install it about 2mm below the top.  Took about 5 mins total to install both.

Block guards are super simple.  Line them up and gently tap them down walking it from side to side and top to bottom with a plastic tip hammer.  On their website (halferlandperformance) says you can use an adhesive around it or just tap it down.  I chose to install without adhesive as I think the heat transfer will be better.  Webiste also recommends to install it about 2mm below the top.  Took about 5 mins total to install both.
Do you know the HP threshold where blackguards become recommend? ie. over 450 hp, etc? 

The guys at OZ engineering have a few goodies for J series as well.  Rear sump oil pans. Reroute set ups to move the radiator hoses to the front of the engine.  Or, just J swap your Miata..lol

https://miatav6.com/

Let them know I sent ya.

Made some progress today.  Drilled and tapped the block for the tensioner. 

The middle hole was a little tight, so I filled it with JB weld.  The bottom hole was the only one that popped through, so added some sealant on that bolt when I installed the tensioner.  Got the belt on and and its pretty snug but plenty of clearance.

20210918_174507.jpg

20210918_180052.jpg

The middle hole was a little tight, so I filled it with JB weld.  The bottom hole was the only one that popped through, so added some sealant on that bolt when I installed the tensioner.  Got the belt on and and its pretty snug but plenty of clearance.

View attachment 14302

View attachment 14303
Nice Work!

Ok, next question.  What are people doing for throttle cable?  I have my intake flipped so the throttle body is at the rear.  Have a K&N air filter, but it is not going to clear the stock throttle cable connector.  I briefly saw @77charger connection where he had it go down, instead of back, which is what i want to do, but the throttle cable path will have an angle point after the radius of the spring.  It might not be an issue, but would like to have it tangent off the radius if possible.  Thoughts?  Pics?

Ok, next question.  What are people doing for throttle cable?  I have my intake flipped so the throttle body is at the rear.  Have a K&N air filter, but it is not going to clear the stock throttle cable connector.  I briefly saw @77charger connection where he had it go down, instead of back, which is what i want to do, but the throttle cable path will have an angle point after the radius of the spring.  It might not be an issue, but would like to have it tangent off the radius if possible.  Thoughts?  Pics?
I’m not at home now but will be tomorrow I can take a closer pic. I know mine comes up from the bottom. Has the cable bracket mounted below somewhere 

Hope this helps, my intake is flipped also but I'm running a J30. I routed it under the manifold and make a quick bracket. Throttle cable I used was from CB Performance since mine is in a baja bug. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3357.htm The length was perfect. The arm was a leftover I had off a weber carb.  

J30 throttle cable.jpg

View attachment 14302

View attachment 14303
Make sure you clean out the oil pan as you got some shavings in there from popping through.

is anyone running a dual in/dual out muffler on their car? I’m finishing up my exhaust and would like a muffler option that I can swap in with my straight pipe dune-mode set up. I’m not sure what options I have, will any dual in/out muffler work?

Thanks

2D8BA92D-948D-4570-89AE-BCE8A234FE7C.jpeg

Thanks.  Can't wait to finish it up.  Still waiting on a few parts.

Halferland block guards
ARP Head Studs
BC rods
Traum Pistons (89.5mm)
What compression ratio are you going with? Assume Traum was able to make the dome calc for you, when you told them what compression ration your wanted. 

Have you heard about any problems with running forged pistons in stock bores? The tuner I used for my motor does a lot of J35's and he said the stock cylinder liner, which is more of a coating? is pretty thin on the J35's and "fibrous" on the J35A4's?? He recommend new liners for his J35 builds, but he is going after big boost. 

I agree on the crossover like @Stugots has, and by the way, your old J30 is still ripping!

I had @juggernaut redo mine last year with an "X" pipe and it made a noticeable difference to the low end torque compared to the 3 into 1 dual outlets. People that heard my car before say it sounds expensive now haha. Easier on the ears too being I'm still street legal.

baja exhaust.jpg

Have you heard about any problems with running forged pistons in stock bores? The tuner I used for my motor does a lot of J35's and he said the stock cylinder liner, which is more of a coating? is pretty thin on the J35's and "fibrous" on the J35A4's?? He recommend new liners for his J35 builds, but he is going after big boost. 
The few that I've had apart still had cross hatching in the cylinders with well over 100k miles.  One was severely overheated, melted pistons to the cylinder walls overheated...

The few that I've had apart still had cross hatching in the cylinders with well over 100k miles.  One was severely overheated, melted pistons to the cylinder walls overheated...
just curious, were the ones you had apart running forged pistons? thx...

Back