The official Honda Thread

I think it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to all the members running Honda engines. One place to discuss all things Honda. 

I will kick it off with my current build. Brand new short block and brand new heads. 

Installed the heads yesterday and now am working on the timing components but having an issue with the timing belt cogs matching up to the drivers side cam gear. 

any tips on how to align them? They are all at TDC.

View attachment 1521

View attachment 1522
Did you find out your belt setup? I found some photos that you can zoom in on and see it if needed

Did you find out your belt setup? I found some photos that you can zoom in on and see it if needed
I did, I was off on the bottom pulley and was my first time doing it so had a bit of struggle but I think it is good. Still have not fired it up yet as I am waiting to have some fab work done, but the motor is ready.

Thank you for offering to help!!

Moving along on my Subie/Honda swap. Picked up a harness from @Kraut_n_Rice and have 3 weeks to go before my engine adapter should be ready. 

I have a couple of questions on the water crossover:

I vaguely remember that there were mods needed on the water crossover.  I know that the heater lines need blocked off, but is there something else that I am missing?

Secondly, what is the part circled and can I delete it and the lines that are associated with it? 

52FA41EF-E5B0-4029-BE6E-E4AB5E8B7242.jpeg

Moving along on my Subie/Honda swap. Picked up a harness from @Kraut_n_Rice and have 3 weeks to go before my engine adapter should be ready. 

I vaguely remember that there were mods needed on the water crossover.  I know that the heater lines need blocked off, but is there something else that I am missing?

Secondly, what is the part circled and can I delete it and the lines that are associated with it? 

View attachment 10179
You can just cap the bigger hose. Or, remove it and weld on a blocking plate. You have to weld up when they go in the lower plenums too.

The only small hoses you need are for the fuel pressure regulator and pcv.

Photo of last one I did. The tube on right end you can also tap and plug. I braised mine shut. Also the raised boss to the left of tig welded plug I drilled and taped for water temp sending unit.

IMG_1583.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 10179
Yes, delete it.

Ok, lets talk belt tensioners.  The engine I picked up was a J35A4. It didnt have a belt tensioner so I ran off to the junk yard.  Grabbed one that looked just like this off a Honda Pilot.

image.png

When I got home, it looked like trying make a peg fit in the square pole.  No drilled holes in the block for the ears.  The middle bolt wasn't the right size.   WTH...

image.png

I ended up having to go back for a fuel line, found an Odyssey motor and pulled this style off.

image.png

so it looks like I have an "odyssey" block for the tensioner.

I remember reading on the old board about what size of belt to us as well as modifications to attach the tensioner to the right spot so that its not too close yet not too far.  Can anyone help me out?

Ok, lets talk belt tensioners.  The engine I picked up was a J35A4. It didnt have a belt tensioner so I ran off to the junk yard.  Grabbed one that looked just like this off a Honda Pilot.

View attachment 12761

When I got home, it looked like trying make a peg fit in the square pole.  No drilled holes in the block for the ears.  The middle bolt wasn't the right size.   WTH...

View attachment 12763

I ended up having to go back for a fuel line, found an Odyssey motor and pulled this style off.

View attachment 12762

I remember reading on the old board about what size of belt to us as well as modifications to attach the tensioner to the right spot so that its not too close yet not too far.  Can anyone help me out?
So mine I used the ac bracket and cut it for my mount.

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

I should add, you can make your own bracket and I have done that. Brandon mentioned using the a/c bracket and after doing so I thought it worked much better, as that is how Honda designed it. Now on the last one I did I cut a little off one of the peaks of the hex head you use for adjusting just for a little more belt clearance.

If you do not want to use the ugly tensioner off the Odyssey, you will have to drill and tap the holes to mount the other tensioner. It is not too difficult, you just have to be careful how far you drill.

You can call Marked MotorSports and I believe he can give you the correct size bolts to run. 

In regards to the bet, I ran a shorter version as it spaced out the belt so it would not rub under high RPM. I used Autozone part number: 6PK1065.

If you do not want to use the ugly tensioner off the Odyssey, you will have to drill and tap the holes to mount the other tensioner. It is not too difficult, you just have to be careful how far you drill.

You can call Marked MotorSports and I believe he can give you the correct size bolts to run. 

In regards to the bet, I ran a shorter version as it spaced out the belt so it would not rub under high RPM. I used Autozone part number: 6PK1065.
Now that I think about it, I pulled the bolts off an Acura at the junk yard. I think you can use them of a J32. I cant remember which model of Acura though. I am sure someone can chime in.

You can get a power steering pump bracket that is adjustable, and ditch the tensioner all together, That's what I did on mine before installing into chassis, dirty from ocatillo and spilled drink cooler! no oil leaks here

16301190558587590090834574653015.jpg

Grab the factory A/C compressor mount, or fab piece into you engine mount to hold tensioning rod.

You can get a power steering pump bracket that is adjustable, and ditch the tensioner all together, That's what I did on mine before installing into chassis, dirty from ocatillo and spilled drink cooler! no oil leaks here

View attachment 12836
Where did you get that crankshaft pulley? Does it still retain the factory dampener?

Finally got my brand new oem Honda engine running the lifters were super loud and kept throwing misfire codes and would big around 4K RPM. Decided to do a valve adjustment and looks like these heads do not have jamn nuts. This does not look correct. These were brand new in box oem heads from Honda. Can anyone verify if there J35A4 has them?

image.jpg

Finally got my brand new oem Honda engine running the lifters were super loud and kept throwing misfire codes and would big around 4K RPM. Decided to do a valve adjustment and looks like these heads do not have jamn nuts. This does not look correct. These were brand new in box oem heads from Honda. Can anyone verify if there J35A4 has them?

View attachment 12864
I've had 2 j35a4 engines, both had jam nuts. Otherwise you have self adjusting valves....

does anyone make J35 turbo mount headers for buggy applications? or are they mostly custom fabbed? 

interested in how much clearance I would need behind the crank and in front of the engine subframe for a turbo set-up. 

thx

does anyone make J35 turbo mount headers for buggy applications? or are they mostly custom fabbed? 

interested in how much clearance I would need behind the crank and in front of the engine subframe for a turbo set-up. 

thx
Reach out to Dave at HotHead Headers. He can set you up with anything you need turbo header related. 

View attachment 12761

View attachment 12763

View attachment 12762

I just drilled and tapped my block to fit the other smaller tensioner.  Pull the oil pan off and shove some paper towels up where you are drilling as one of the holes will go through.  Tap them and seal the one hole that goes through when installing your tensioner, and your good to go.  I pulled the paper towel out and used some degreaser spray to clean out the block of any shavings.  No problems with it. 

I just drilled and tapped my block to fit the other smaller tensioner.  Pull the oil pan off and shove some paper towels up where you are drilling as one of the holes will go through.  Tap them and seal the one hole that goes through when installing your tensioner, and your good to go.  I pulled the paper towel out and used some degreaser spray to clean out the block of any shavings.  No problems with it. 
I havent looked at the center hole to see if it misses that large one that I have, but what did u do with that?  Also, which belt did you use.  Looks like there is one that is 42-7/8" (K060423) and 42-3/4" (6PK1065).  Only 1/8" of inch, but still feeling I might just do the shorter one as is.

Back