Speed UTV

The problem wasn’t the bead lock it was the inside of the rim. I don’t think it was a big enough inside lip for the tire to pop  over. It was always the inside that came off.  
Yep, and the solution was to never run less than 15 psi in them (or something like that).  

Which negates the need for a beadlock. Might as well save the hassle/possible failure point and go with regular wheels.  Could always do what rock crawler guys do with non-beadlocks and add some Gorilla tape to help hold the bead.

No he rather shows us the most complicated oil change ever.  Ferrari is jealous.   LOL!!!!
Worse than a Can Am?  If so, that's an accomplishment.

It think it might be, which might be the real reason why michael.gonzalez's motor let go. They said the boost cut threshold wasn't there and it lifted the head, but it could be cylinder pressure/detonation from running leaner.

Reason I'm not believing the boost threshold story is in the E85 tests, you can see the power dying off:

Scaling makes it look worse than it really is, but I don't think that wastegate is open.  If the boost pressure was lifting the head, then the E85 tune would definitely lift the head.
Did Speed design the engine? I've seen that it closely matches an Artic Cat design but can't seem to find much info on it. 

Did Speed design the engine? I've seen that it closely matches an Artic Cat design but can't seem to find much info on it. 
They contracted one of the NASCAR suppliers IIRC.  

It seems to be a copy of the R1 or whatever motor it was everyone used to swap into RZRs.

Watch the video.  They needed to hook up a laptop to clear codes to get it to start after the oil change.  Robby had to blow in a tube with his mouth to prime the pump.  They had to pull the bed off to pull the spark plugs and put oil in.  You have to pull off 3 filters and bleed the system after.  It's the most complicated oil change I have seen.

Watch the video.  They needed to hook up a laptop to clear codes to get it to start after the oil change.  Robby had to blow in a tube with his mouth to prime the pump.  They had to pull the bed off to pull the spark plugs and put oil in.  You have to pull off 3 filters and bleed the system after.  It's the most complicated oil change I have seen.
Baja Born, Race Ready.

You clearly never won a Baja Race...

What a nightmare for a Mass Market UTV SxS.....unless they are not made for everyone. 

What in the actual fawk?  There are F1 engineers that have an easier time changing oil.

Yep, and the solution was to never run less than 15 psi in them (or something like that).  

Which negates the need for a beadlock. Might as well save the hassle/possible failure point and go with regular wheels.  Could always do what rock crawler guys do with non-beadlocks and add some Gorilla tape to help hold the bead.

Can Am is just messy, not overly complicated.  

I am shocked you don't have to pull the motor to do the oil change.  LOL!!!

I am shocked you don't have to pull the motor to do the oil change.  LOL!!!
Perhaps they hired some Germans...

m13jkm3cpxf81.jpg

BTW, Googled that picture since I figured it had to be a photshop job...  Nope.  It's the BMW N63.  The Reddit thread on this topic is hilarious, with the winner:

image.png

Can Am owners…..changing the X3’s oil is such a pain in the ass…..Robby Gordon, hold my beer and watch this

As long as the engine keeps breaking down before the oil does then free oil changes for life

RG's patented service contract;

Free engine with every oil change 

or

Free oil change with every engine?

Here's the speed key contract.

Hmmm.. for some reason it won't upload in full resolution.

Screenshot_20240620_151105_Facebook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back