Speed UTV

1264bda7-9b5c-4e9e-a33e-f2e31108fefd-jpeg.287244

I'd definitely keep an eye on these.  No nylon reinforcement I can see in them.  

I found one on my car like that, actually looks like the same location. There have a few people notice it. It looks like those chinese children everyone talks about have strong hands.
I think it's just low grade material, probably some sort of plastic rather than silicon.  $10-15 on eBay or Amazon for a silicon replacement and you're golden.  

The rolled edge on the clamps looks jagged as well, but could be the shittake material giving it up prom-night style.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just low grade material, probably some sort of plastic rather than silicon.  $10-15 on eBay or Amazon for a silicon replacement and you're golden.  
I'm sure Speed will offer a retrofit kit for all the couplers that they claim is only a "racing part" not a required fix for the cars... and only at like $1500. 

-TJ

The rolled edge on the clamps looks jagged as well, but could be the shittake material giving it up prom-night style.  
The actual boot does not seem that cheap, and the hose clamps don't either. It seems like they are just waay over tightened.

I am curious as to why there are different types of failures on the same part? The long slit/crack and then shorter jagged cuts that appear to go in different directions? Does that pipe twist or just vibrate?  

That's just the inlet to the compressor housing.  No boost leaks to worry about there.   :bag:

The actual boot does not seem that cheap, and the hose clamps don't either. It seems like they are just waay over tightened.
I've tightened T-bolt clamps on silicon couplers to the point where the 5/16" bolt broke (don't judge me, we were all young once).  Zero facks given by the coupler.  Overtightening would only be a problem on something with a lot of void area in the material (i.e. cheap chit).  That, or....

I am curious as to why there are different types of failures on the same part? The long slit/crack and then shorter jagged cuts that appear to go in different directions? Does that pipe twist or just vibrate?  
The material is cheap, not so flexible sh!t from the HD plumbing aisle with insufficient support, so it tears because it can't handle vibration well.  Put a hand on it and yank it back and forth.  If it's moving all over the place and stretching the coupler, winner winner, chicken dinner.  My guess is it's moving a lot, as it's noticeably off-center in the picture.  If it's connected to something mounted to the body, there really needs to be a flex section in there if you're gonna use cheap couplers like that. 

s-l1200.webp

That's just the inlet to the compressor housing.  No boost leaks to worry about there.   :bag:
LOL.  Naw.  Nothing to worry about cuz

Sub $10 Amazon special for comparison:

61PjuibEIaL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

High-temp silicon layers, nylon reinforcement.  Not hard.  That, or something like this crusty 20+ year old boost coupler from Nissan:

s-l1600.jpg

Thick rubber, nylon reinforcement.  You can see someone tightened the chit out of it.  Still skookum.

I've tightened T-bolt clamps on silicon couplers to the point where the 5/16" bolt broke (don't judge me, we were all young once).  Zero facks given by the coupler.  Overtightening would only be a problem on something with a lot of void area in the material (i.e. cheap chit).  That, or....

The material is cheap, not so flexible sh!t from the HD plumbing aisle with insufficient support, so it tears because it can't handle vibration well.  Put a hand on it and yank it back and forth.  If it's moving all over the place and stretching the coupler, winner winner, chicken dinner.  My guess is it's moving a lot, as it's noticeably off-center in the picture.  If it's connected to something mounted to the body, there really needs to be a flex section in there if you're gonna use cheap couplers like that. 

LOL.  Naw.  Nothing to worry about cuz
what is that piece?  doesn't look like the one in the picture? 

what is that piece?  doesn't look like the one in the picture? 
It's from a 5.3L Chevy.  Just as an example of what you're supposed to use to connect the moving engine to the non-moving (relatively speaking) airbox if you're gonna use cheap chit like those couplers.

Sub $10 Amazon special for comparison:

High-temp silicon layers, nylon reinforcement.  Not hard.  That, or something like this crusty 20+ year old boost coupler from Nissan:

Thick rubber, nylon reinforcement.  You can see someone tightened the chit out of it.  Still skookum.
somebody must watch uncle bumbleEff.. :lol:

Looks like some El Diablos are going to be delivered to customers soon.  

Back