Speed UTV

So 11.9 might just be straight up atmosphere for him... kinda curious that cruising a couple MPH at ~2500 RPM the MAP would just be straight up atmosphere.  Unless that display is a calculated value of atmosphere + (but only plus) boost.  Of course, I watched it again more closely and right when he cracks the throttle you see the display dip to 11.5 before it begins climbing:

View attachment 86058

So, how are you liking the car?

-TJ
I dig it, I haven't gotten as many miles as I would have liked on it yet, my last trip out to AZ,, I was there for 10 days, but it was a heat wave, like every day over 100, so the wife shut down the offroading, and wanted to bat.

I think I've got 150 miles on it only.

As far as that boost gauge, I wanna say I'm seeing around 32-34lbs on it when I'm wide open, but I really haven't paid much attention to that.

53 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

So, here's the thing... watch this vid:

It took a bit for my brain to wrap around what you're saying here, since I know that turbos aren't effected by altitude other than pumping loss for the compressor, but based on what you said here, they should be.  Here's what those cobwebs spat out: a mechanical wastegate would not have a lower MAP reading than an electronic one that  is referencing MAP as a target because "boost" just is over-pressure to what the engine can naturally ingest, so it's a mass-flow thing.  This boost level shouldn't have any bearing on what atmospheric pressure is at that elevation unless it's low enough that the turbo can no longer supply it. 

Superchargers, yes: altitude has an effect.  NA will also never show "14.7psi" on the MAP sensor at altitude.  Turbo is looking to over-pressure the intake manifold by XX psi and the wastegate isn't opening until it does.  Everest or not, as long as there's enough air for the turbo to work with, MAP readings should be the same regardless of elevation.

All of the above is assuming your floorboards stay attached.  If you lose them, well...

fast-and-furious-danger.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
47 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

So, here's the thing... watch this vid:

Kind of odd that Speed would set up the clutches for a 300hp tune that only a small percentage actually purchased.     Getting the clutches dialed for the 225hp will certainly make it more responsive and might next you 500 RPM. 

It took a bit for my brain to wrap around what you're saying here, since I know that turbos aren't effected by altitude other than pumping loss for the compressor, but based on what you said here, they should be.  Here's what those cobwebs spat out: a mechanical wastegate would not have a lower MAP reading than an electronic one that  is referencing MAP as a target because "boost" just is over-pressure to what the engine can naturally ingest, so it's a mass-flow thing.  This boost level shouldn't have any bearing on what atmospheric pressure is at that elevation unless it's low enough that the turbo can no longer supply it. 

Superchargers, yes: altitude has an effect.  NA will also never show "14.7psi" on the MAP sensor at altitude.  Turbo is looking to over-pressure the intake manifold by XX psi and the wastegate isn't opening until it does.  Everest or not, as long as there's enough air for the turbo to work with, MAP readings should be the same regardless of elevation.

All of the above is assuming your floorboards stay attached.  If you lose them, well...

Yeah, it's a complicated case... 

Perhaps I was thinking about mechanical boost control wrong... I really never ran it 'cept in my Extreme Double Throwdown that basically had no gauges and I never tweaked with.  Basically the WG spring in a mechanical setup is being acted upon by MAP not boost, per say... so it's going to create the same MAP at all altitudes so long as the turbo can support it... right? 

-TJ

Kind of odd that Speed would set up the clutches for a 300hp tune that only a small percentage actually purchased.     Getting the clutches dialed for the 225hp will certainly make it more responsive and might next you 500 RPM. 
Right, even if it doesn't give more top MPH because that is electronically limited, I *ass*ume these motors peak higher that ~7,900 RPM, so getting it running in the mid/upper 8s would probably provide more RWHP and get it up to that 93 MPH limit more quickly.  I hope somebody puts one on a dyno and messes with clutching and gets accurate pulls to see if it really does make more power with more than 7,900 RPM, or if that's actually where this combo peaks and the clutch tuning actually is right for the 225 HP tune.

-TJ

what is your point of reference.  its all pretty simple until you are trying to control something. 

Right, even if it doesn't give more top MPH because that is electronically limited, I *ass*ume these motors peak higher that ~7,900 RPM, so getting it running in the mid/upper 8s would probably provide more RWHP and get it up to that 93 MPH limit more quickly.  I hope somebody puts one on a dyno and messes with clutching and gets accurate pulls to see if it really does make more power with more than 7,900 RPM, or if that's actually where this combo peaks and the clutch tuning actually is right for the 225 HP tune.

-TJ
They did put one on a dyno and RG said they did it wrong. LOL!   

The clutching may be fine and it is all the safety parameters they built into the tuning that is holding back the car.   

At least with the new Can Am there is no worries about dialing in a CVT clutch. 

22 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

what is your point of reference.  its all pretty simple until you are trying to control something. 

Manifold Absolute Pressure gauge, with most reading from pure vacuum to "0psi", some reading between 1-3 bar above atmospheric, depending on application.  There is no external reference on MAP sensors to account for current atmospheric pressure.

They did put one on a dyno and RG said they did it wrong. LOL!   

The clutching may be fine and it is all the safety parameters they built into the tuning that is holding back the car.   

At least with the new Can Am there is no worries about dialing in a CVT clutch. 
I did see that, the result was like 150 WHP which is pretty low, but not toooooo far off from 225 flywheel through a CVT with big heavy wheels/tires, etc.  That said, the vid I posted sure didn't look like a 2400-2600lbs car (plus driver) with only 150 WHP getting to 93 MPH...

-TJ

I did see that, the result was like 150 WHP which is pretty low, but not toooooo far off from 225 flywheel through a CVT with big heavy wheels/tires, etc.  That said, the vid I posted sure didn't look like a 2400-2600lbs car (plus driver) with only 150 WHP getting to 93 MPH...

-TJ
For comparison the new Maverick R appears to get there a lot quicker.  Same guy in this video.  From a dead stop

3 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

For comparison the new Maverick R appears to get there a lot quicker.  Same guy in this video.  From a dead stop

It looks like the Mav R he is going from a dig, and hits it about 12 seconds, it hits 90 MPH at about 22 seconds (so 10 seconds 0-90) and hits 100 MPH at 26 (so 14 seconds 0-100).  On the Speed run in 3rd he's already rolling ~10mph so it's hard to get apples to apples, but he jumps on it at about 2:21 seconds into the vid... it hits 90 at about 2:35, so 14-seconds for 10-90.  Like you said, a good bit slower.  That said, I'd expect the Mav R to be faster with 240hp vs. 225hp, lighter (the Mav R was a 2 seater, so I think we're talking about 2250lbs vs. 2450lbs right?), and the big one: DCT vs. CVT (DCT is way more efficient, so less of that 240hp is lost through the drivetrain).  I'm not making excuses for the Speed, just saying nobody should have an expectation that a Jeffe on the 91 tune is going to be as fast as a 2 seat Mav R.

-TJ

It looks like the Mav R he is going from a dig, and hits it about 12 seconds, it hits 90 MPH at about 22 seconds (so 10 seconds 0-90) and hits 100 MPH at 26 (so 14 seconds 0-100).  On the Speed run in 3rd he's already rolling ~10mph so it's hard to get apples to apples, but he jumps on it at about 2:21 seconds into the vid... it hits 90 at about 2:35, so 14-seconds for 10-90.  Like you said, a good bit slower.  That said, I'd expect the Mav R to be faster with 240hp vs. 225hp, lighter (the Mav R was a 2 seater, so I think we're talking about 2250lbs vs. 2450lbs right?), and the big one: DCT vs. CVT (DCT is way more efficient, so less of that 240hp is lost through the drivetrain).  I'm not making excuses for the Speed, just saying nobody should have an expectation that a Jeffe on the 91 tune is going to be as fast as a 2 seat Mav R.

-TJ
That was in 3rd as well.

This run was all 3.

Oddly, it's from a roll at 10mph and he hits 90 in 15 seconds, so similar/slightly slower acceleration in 2nd...

El Diablo Master # 629

Had my Configuration Verification call yesterday.  Basicly to make sure that now is the time to install any additional options the factory can install, so they don't have to burden the PDI crew with additional work in California.  I was told they got ahead of themselves and built 125 DIablos already before they confirmed the configurations with those customers.  The batch run will be 500 cars and they couldn't tell me where I was in the production run, But was assured I would be in this 500 group.  When I originally ordered, I received the Master #629 and El Diablo #96.  

All cars are all shipped with front & rear bumpers and window nets.  I had not ordered those so he said they would be removed and put into parts inventory.  (unless I pony up they money)  I'm waiting to see what the after market comes up with since they are easy bolt on items.  

Mine will have a windshield,  Not the choice for warmer days.  The rep said no word on half windscreens, and that his also has a full windshield and is  waiting for the 1/2.  Again, aftermarket?

I'm still noodling the extended warranty.  The Rail makes about 7-10 outings a season if time allows.  The Speed should see a lot more service.  I expect (hopefully) all the infant mortality issues will be resolved, but new things keep popping up.  So far they appear to be handling them.  Extended warranty is $500 for every 6 months up to 4 yrs.  AND must be purchased prior to taking delivery.  We'll  see.

We live in Havasu and will be taking delivery here.

Rick 

FWIW I had my final (3rd I think) configuration call today.  My car is supposedly going into production next week and I was told to expect it in Feb/Mar.  Like everyone else they were up-selling any of the accessories they ship with.  I have to think on it, but I will probably take the bumpers and window nets... I'm not sure. 

-TJ

FWIW I had my final (3rd I think) configuration call today.  My car is supposedly going into production next week and I was told to expect it in Feb/Mar.  Like everyone else they were up-selling any of the accessories they ship with.  I have to think on it, but I will probably take the bumpers and window nets... I'm not sure. 

-TJ
Hopefully their estimate is correct so you have that good late winter and spring weather to enjoy your new ride.   

I had them take the window nets off. Didn’t care for them and kept hitting my head on them. I’m 5-10. We’ll use wrist restraints. 
I can tell you, those last 3 months or so are painful. Be patient. 

El Diablo Master # 629

Had my Configuration Verification call yesterday.  Basicly to make sure that now is the time to install any additional options the factory can install, so they don't have to burden the PDI crew with additional work in California.  I was told they got ahead of themselves and built 125 DIablos already before they confirmed the configurations with those customers.  The batch run will be 500 cars and they couldn't tell me where I was in the production run, But was assured I would be in this 500 group.  When I originally ordered, I received the Master #629 and El Diablo #96.  

All cars are all shipped with front & rear bumpers and window nets.  I had not ordered those so he said they would be removed and put into parts inventory.  (unless I pony up they money)  I'm waiting to see what the after market comes up with since they are easy bolt on items.  

Mine will have a windshield,  Not the choice for warmer days.  The rep said no word on half windscreens, and that his also has a full windshield and is  waiting for the 1/2.  Again, aftermarket?

I'm still noodling the extended warranty.  The Rail makes about 7-10 outings a season if time allows.  The Speed should see a lot more service.  I expect (hopefully) all the infant mortality issues will be resolved, but new things keep popping up.  So far they appear to be handling them.  Extended warranty is $500 for every 6 months up to 4 yrs.  AND must be purchased prior to taking delivery.  We'll  see.

We live in Havasu and will be taking delivery here.

Rick 
 Couple of the first 10 bought the 6 month extended warranty for the speedkey since that is the only way to cover it.  They are half way through the extended warranty now and still no sign of the speedkey.  They are not happy to say the least.

I had them take the window nets off. Didn’t care for them and kept hitting my head on them. I’m 5-10. We’ll use wrist restraints. 
I can tell you, those last 3 months or so are painful. Be patient. 
Might want to leave it on: if you're hitting you head on it currently, a flop on the side means your head will likely be outside the cage.  Would suck to smack your noodle on a rock or something.

Back