Speed UTV

Great updates, fun to read the good, the bad...that's what we all wanted to read....the tech of how it operates, how they fix it etc.

:thumb:

Reactions: FOG
Wow the Textron XX has this same issue

The Speed can't be driven with 2 feet, I feel they created a safety setting to prevent people from blowing belts, but when you are half way up a rock slab, on the brakes for dear life, you cannot bump the RPM's and slowly proceed.

I had to get the ALBA tune to remove it. First rock I tried to climb almost full rolled due to the limp mode 2-foot.

Do the Canned-Hams and Poolais do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a quick note from Nick (Chubacabra)

The first leak of fluid was indeed a loose hoes clamp on the coolant overflow, We lost maybe 2-3 ounces total and discovered when we removed the bed and rear side panel to access the PS reservoir.

Front diff has leaked since I took it, I think I know where it's coming from and I added a little Friday night.

PS system is self bleeding- but I have to mention RG, Brian and Daniel took all of my calls and gave me tips on how to help it self bleed, which we did, and ran all day Saturday with no leaks, on Double Sammy, and the dunes.

Steering feedback has been improved with the new servo, but they also have another item coming, I'll let them explain.

Had my spare axle so we installed the fresh unit, fairly simple and clever design, RG sent a CV boot kit Next Day Air to fix the damaged (now) spare.

I got a lot of questions about climbing performance, and I'm starting to put together my "240ish" mile review, which encompasses Havasu, local ride, and Sand Hollow weekend. Learned a ton.

Learned a ton! I lost the PS fluid, and discovered the right rear torn CV after the 20 minute ride I gave Jon Crowley. Originally we saw the pool of fluid and assumed the worst, but I lost the power steering at the end of the ride and didn't really realize. Hit 72 mph on that ride with him on the fence line, it's chewed up! I know my X3 is a 2 seater, but its laughable how much better the Speed is in that section, or any whoop section. And I LOVE that X3, its dialed as well.

Most importantly the suspension and handling:

Stock spring rate, crossover ring height, and Comp/ REB settings are FANTASTIC. Only downside is the stock springs loose height. RG told me we need to be at 16" WITH PEOPLE IN THE CAR, so we had it at 17-17.25" static when we loaded up for UTAH. The preload rings are beautiful, but also a huge pain in the ass. Give me the standard 2 rings, hammer and punch any day.

I'll put together a comprehensive video and have ready this week.

A YouTube video is going live tomorrow am regarding a "oh crap" moment I had climbing the Chute (2nd time, Saturday). The Speed can't be driven with 2 feet, I feel they created a safety setting to prevent people from blowing belts, but when you are half way up a rock slab, on the brakes for dear life, you cannot bump the RPM's and slowly proceed. I assume it's a simple ECU setting that hopefully I can have overridden, this will help immensely for crawling. I learned this the first day at Double Sammy, so the second time I ran it, I just got my lines and kept momentum on the few sections I needed to, so I wouldn't get into this pickle. I think the Speed has great crawling potential, a Diablo on 35" stickies and that magic 110" wheelbase would be sick!

Nick

Like Reply

A quick note? 😂

• Haha
I guess we will find out. 

Pretty cool to be able to call up and have them overnight a new CV boot kit. 
this was my point exactly, is it a special case because of who it is and or will a regular joe consumer get this treatment or the standard RG response of :joe: lol

if they get that far... these were sold direct were they not? 
Yeah.  It's definitely a conundrum for now.  I'd be pissed if I had to call Robby and crew to order parts from Havasu every time.

this was my point exactly, is it a special case because of who it is and or will a regular joe consumer get this treatment or the standard RG response of :joe: lol
LOL!   I think it will be dealer issues once they get that all set up 

Yeah.  It's definitely a conundrum for now.  I'd be pissed if I had to call Robby and crew to order parts from Havasu every time.
I thought they had a parts warehouse set up.  

Pre-production cars were hand built with pre-production parts.  First 77 cars are hand built with production parts in china.  The 500 batch will be the first cars actually off the assembly line with production parts from vietnam.  Those are the ones we need to closely watch for quality control issues.  It's going to be hard to believe that they are going to have less issues than the handbuilt ones but we will see.  It takes a while to dial in an assembly line.
So you just unintentionally said the first pre -500 cars (77 of them)  are worth nothing  (or far less)) resale wise - they are inferior to the later cars -  that might piss some people off

But I am not sure that is the case  -  no guarantee the next 500 if they happen will be better. 

possibly.  LOL!

I would look back in the thread about the warehouse, but the "deleters" took it with them. 
It was the McKinney, TX facility I’m 99% sure. They spent PAGES talking about how impressive the facility is, how much better than Can Am since it’s made in the US, how the parts system is automated and dealers wouldn’t have to carry stock, but can order direct from the warehouse, blah blah blah. 

When someone pointed out there wouldn’t be any ability to just go to Coyne and buy a part to save a trip, this was met with much hostility from the Acolytes of Speed.

When people pointed out that made in China is about a gazillion times worse than Mexico: “well, Robby never stated they’d be made in TX”

It was the McKinney, TX facility I’m 99% sure. They spent PAGES talking about how impressive the facility is, how much better than Can Am since it’s made in the US, how the parts system is automated and dealers wouldn’t have to carry stock, but can order direct from the warehouse, blah blah blah. 

When someone pointed out there wouldn’t be any ability to just go to Coyne and buy a part to save a trip, this was met with much hostility from the Acolytes of Speed.

When people pointed out that made in China is about a gazillion times worse than Mexico: “well, Robby never stated they’d be made in TX”
That sounds about right.   Lol! 

the question is, Will Robby and his crew take everyone's phone calls like that or is this a special case because of who it is??? Real question, not being smartass...
I think it’s a valid question. I’m thinking RG is doing this because he still considers these test cars. How far and how long will he continue to consider them test cars is a mystery that only RG  can answer. Time will tell as others have said. 

Back