Speed UTV

No, the  cooling system does not operate  at speed correctly when  the thermostat  removed.  

At slow speeds and idle its typically okay. 

The water flows too quickly through radiator and doesn't transfer heat properly. 

Tim
I disagree. There are cases where removing the thermostat helps.

As long as there is a difference in hose sizes top/bottom, flow restriction should happen naturally.

The more you cool water, the slower it continues to cool due to temperature delta. Keeping water in the radiator and away from the engine would just slow the transfer of heat to the atmosphere. 

It can be a problem if you remove a thermostat that controlled water flow to other areas and it just keeps flowing through the bypass instead of the radiator (like in an LS).

Lots of engines actually benefit from complete removal of the thermostat because you can then ditch the bypass circuit (usually goes to the heater) that recirculates hot coolant even with the thermostat open. 

Here’s a write up I did for a racecar:

https://motoiq.com/project-infiniti-g20-racecar-even-more-power/4/

Went from occasionally getting hot-ish (210*) normally aspirated, to needing parts of the grille taped off unless it was above 100* or it wouldn’t get above 150*F coolant temps. My buggy has the same setup, never gets hot and I use the fans to regulate temperature since airflow is compromised (no ducting to the radiator).

That being said, that’s for passenger car engines that need to run heaters and throttle body de-icing and worry about startup emissions, not a sport SxS. You shouldn’t need to remove the thermostat in a SxS. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a v6 swap in the 80's into a mini truck. Datsun to be precise. 

The truck ran hot and overheated.  When I finally solved it, the wrecking yard motor had no T stat. Put in a T stat and never had cooling issues again.  

Tim

I did a v6 swap in the 80's into a mini truck. Datsun to be precise. 

The truck ran hot and overheated.  When I finally solved it, the wrecking yard motor had no T stat. Put in a T stat and never had cooling issues again.  

Tim
Word. Takes more than just removing to make it work correctly.

Either way… Somehow the Speed was too cold and lost the HG per RG:

image.jpeg

Which is a facking mystery…

I’m totally lost.. someone get me up to SPEED (pun intended)…

There are 9 pre-production cars out there… made in China or hand built? Production will now me in Vietnam?

RG and crew are racing one-off hand built cars?

What is the overall picture?? Time table on/where true production is…? 

I’m seriously lost.

Thanks,

abc

0A1E520F-190A-45C8-A981-A8D434565999.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. That’s why I asterisk’d RG’s reason for the headgasket dying: it’s pure and utter bullshit. 
Maybe there is a reason why companies Like Polaris, GM, Ford etc hire "engineers" to valid the work of their out sourced contractors?  Who'd a Thunk it 

Or lets take China's word that QC on "One off, golden unit" test mule is exactly the same the "production run"

I am sure they have incredibly perfect integrity.   I know I trust them in my business - I have never seen the most outrageous differences imaginable in quality from Pre to actual production  (sarcasm)

Ask yourself why Apple has  "Many" people on 6 week rotation to plants in China  ....

Maybe there is a reason why companies Like Polaris, GM, Ford etc hire "engineers" to valid the work of their out sourced contractors?  Who'd a Thunk it 

Or lets take China's word that QC on "One off, golden unit" test mule is exactly the same the "production run"

I am sure they have incredibly perfect integrity.   I know I trust them in my business - I have never seen the most outrageous differences imaginable in quality from Pre to actual production  (sarcasm)

Ask yourself why Apple has  "Many" people on 6 week rotation to plants in China  ....
Yeah. Or shipping raw parts to the US for finishing/QC like Scat and other companies do.

But hey, I remember seeing piles of parts just loose in a box, no wrapping or packaging with sketchy finish and questioning quality…

Couple of guys called me a hater for pointing this out. Wonder where they are now…

So what I understand is the cars they are racing are hand build chassis.  The motor, drivetrain, shocks, suspension are all production meaning they were built in the factory in China.

RG said they removed the thermostat but had a restrictor in the cooling line.

Why is nobody talking about what Max broke on his Speed UTV.  Something with the front suspension.  Not real clear on what he broke.  He did finish the race 8th in his class, but only finished 3 laps of the 4 lap race. I am guessing he did not complete the 4th lap under the time limit.  

So what I understand is the cars they are racing are hand build chassis.  The motor, drivetrain, shocks, suspension are all production meaning they were built in the factory in China.

RG said they removed the thermostat but had a restrictor in the cooling line.

Why is nobody talking about what Max broke on his Speed UTV.  Something with the front suspension.  Not real clear on what he broke.  He did finish the race 8th in his class, but only finished 3 laps of the 4 lap race. I am guessing he did not complete the 4th lap under the time limit.  
Ok so what’s the latest on production delivery?

Total sh__ show it seems.

abc

Ok so what’s the latest on production delivery?

Total sh__ show it seems.

abc
Allegedly April for the next round with the new transmissions.  The 500 cars are allegedly still slated for May, but I do not know where they are going to put those 500 cars if they are intending on sending everything to Havasu for final inspection/prep for delivery. 

Allegedly April for the next round with the new transmissions.  The 500 cars are allegedly still slated for May, but I do not know where they are going to put those 500 cars if they are intending on sending everything to Havasu for final inspection/prep for delivery. 
Leave them in shipping containers? 

Seems if the starters can’t handle the motor without a compression release because they die at 9500rpm…

Maybe reinstall it and not rev that high? It has a 3spd shift on the fly trans, why do they need more RPM?

And hey, whadya know: the rod end register broke… Could it possibly be because the rod end is in…

DUH DUH DUUUUUH!

Single shear?

Lol. :biggrin:

9500 rpm?  Is that where it makes the 225hp?  Really starter issues still? 

Seems silly to not have the car set to the RPMs of the production cars and actually race with a production spec motor.   

Gen 3 transmission?  Was that a typo in the screenshot and they meant Gen 2. 

You would think race suspension arms would be stronger and better than the stock arms.  Wait why were they not racing on the production suspension?  That stuff looked beefy and better than a lot of aftermarket stuff you see for other UTVs.  

Reactions: FOG
Back