Speed UTV

I'm confused by these mechanical issues. I thought LOTD and Nikal said RG was using the best Nascar engine builder and they were going to run these motors 24/7 on dyno's and rack up 10,000 hrs, etc. to make sure all the bugs were worked out. Guess that didn't happen ?
These race cars they say, not production vehicles.  Lol!

Certainly not to well in race dress.  I thought some of the golden ticket holders were saying the Speed UTV was going to crush the other desert cars.  

winning Can Am finished the race in 7hr 47 minutes.  

I'm confused by these mechanical issues. I thought LOTD and Nikal said RG was using the best Nascar engine builder and they were going to run these motors 24/7 on dyno's and rack up 10,000 hrs, etc. to make sure all the bugs were worked out. Guess that didn't happen ?
Pfftt...  Simple dyno hours don't mean sht.  What they should've done is data logged one of the shop guy's ol' lady's minivan for a month or two. 

Replicate that torture for 10k hours.  Make Baja look like an ice cream cruise......

Speed is not go anywhere, the real big money investors are way to pot committed to quit now.  The amount of orders is staggering.  But they need to get all the little fine details  ironed out on this car quickly.  It all comes down to small details.  My guess is the production parts and details have been compromised with lack of solid quality control in Vietnam.  Robby needs to have full time US Speed quality control engineers there over seeing everything daily. You can’t just show up there every 2 months and hope for the best. 
The Chinese are famous for cutting corners to save a buck    Overall this car is solid,  it’s just gonna take more time to work out all of  the kinks. 

Speed is not go anywhere, the real big money investors are way to pot committed to quit now.  The amount of orders is staggering.  But they need to get all the little fine details  ironed out on this car quickly.  It all comes down to small details.  My guess is the production parts and details have been compromised with lack of solid quality control in Vietnam.  Robby needs to have full time US Speed quality control engineers there over seeing everything daily. You can’t just show up there every 2 months and hope for the best. 
The Chinese are famous for cutting corners to save a buck    Overall this car is solid,  it’s just gonna take more time to work out all of  the kinks. 
Or move production to McKinney, TX like the Acolytes of Speed said ad nauseum. 

Founders may have that sense of blind determination, but there is nary an "investor" who will not reach the "Fish Or Cut Bait" moment.

I voiced my opinion/concern about the Hisun QC I had witnessed, and was basically dismissed early on. Experience has proven to me that even a well paid leopard does not change his spots.

I have heard of hot spots and improper cooling from unrestricted flow. I am not on Insta, but apparently(allegedly) RG posted that running with no thermostats caused it "to run too cold too many times".  I don't know if they are running alcohol, so I'll reserve judgement on that aspect, but on gasoline, that would seem to be a head scratcher to  me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
I have heard of hot spots and improper cooling from unrestricted flow. I am not on Insta, but apparently RG posted that running with no thermostats caused it "to run too cold too many times".  I don't know if they are running alcohol, so I'll reserve judgement on that aspect, but on gasoline, that would seem to be a head scratcher to  me.
Too cold running can cause issues with the oil not burning off impurities, tolerances, etc…

But head gaskets die from heads lifting, warping, or detonation. I don’t see how running too cold would cause those conditions. 

Too cold running can cause issues with the oil not burning off impurities, tolerances, etc…

But head gaskets die from heads lifting, warping, or detonation. I don’t see how running too cold would cause those conditions. 
I second this. Head gasket issues come from too much heat causing head studs to stretch or warping a head. Another bad showing for RG. His car took issue first lap and chit the bed by the second. Max’s car broke and ran out of time to finish. Funny how they fixed it and put it on the finishing pedestal as if it actually made the 4 laps and finished. Two cars entered and both cars DNF. 

I don't give a crap what you do with your money.   Congrats on being able to retire at 52 years old that is a fantastic accomplishment.  I wish I could retire at 52.

Sorry for pointing out people have more than $1,500 tied up for the last few years in their Speed UTV.  
Was Speed one of the start Ups with Money in  SVB?

You all assume normal reasons for head gasket blowing, how about just a poor design or poor materials? Cracked tranny cases, you would not see those kinds of issues with the other manufactures. This is not promising. Thermostat or lack of is not any excuse and if it was why would he have been running sans thermostat anyways?  So new designed tranny and perhaps redesigned engine. I’m not sure knowing a tranny case and engine parts casted in China would ever make me happy. China is China

Last edited by a moderator:
You all assume normal reasons for head gasket blowing, how about just a poor design or poor materials? Cracked tranny cases, you would not see those kinds of issues with the other manufactures. This is not promising. Thermostat or lack of is not any excuse and if it was why would he have been running sans thermostat anyways?  So new designed tranny and perhaps redesigned engine. I’m not sure knowing a tranny case and engine parts casted in China would ever make me happy. China is China
I have to think they tested these parts for 1000s of miles. Maybe race conditions different?

Yep. That’s why I asterisk’d RG’s reason for the headgasket dying: it’s pure and utter bullshit. 

I have to think they tested these parts for 1000s of miles. Maybe race conditions different?
The difference seems to be that the cars with all the miles on them were built here. Hand built parts made here I believe. Now the cars that are breaking are all cars built from production. It seems the production cars are being built with inferior parts and materials. At least that’s how it looks to me.

How would no t-stat cause a head gasket to go bad? Might warm up slower but once to temp the cooling system operating properly should keep it cool. 
No, the  cooling system does not operate  at speed correctly when  the thermostat  removed.  

At slow speeds and idle its typically okay. 

The water flows too quickly through radiator and doesn't transfer heat properly. 

Tim

Back