Speed UTV

The only problem I had with my 800 was the fuel tank splitting open in the middle of nowhere... I mean not a big issue..just gas all over the passenger compartment. 

Correct if I’m wrong (maybe Robbie patented a new type of alternator? :biggrin: ), but isn’t the other end of the alternator wire connected to the battery? I had a bolt on the 200A wafer fuse I use on my Jeep (upgraded alternator) get a little loose. I found this out because I could smell burning plastic. It had melted the insulation back 6”.

Good thing they found this now, loose wires on 100A connections aren’t to be facked with. Would've made PoPo’s voltage regulator issue look minor. 

Correct if I’m wrong (maybe Robbie patented a new type of alternator? :biggrin: ), but isn’t the other end of the alternator wire connected to the battery? I had a bolt on the 200A wafer fuse I use on my Jeep (upgraded alternator) get a little loose. I found this out because I could smell burning plastic. It had melted the insulation back 6”.

Good thing they found this now, loose wires on 100A connections aren’t to be facked with. Would've made PoPo’s voltage regulator issue look minor. 
If I remember correctly, the xp1000 had a recall for misrouted or loose hanging wires along the frame near the driveshaft? It might have even been the fuel line? I’ve busted RG’s balls with the best of them but now I think it’s time for me to let the cards fall as they may. Cars are finally making it to people so that’s a plus. Yes, they have to wait for a new transmission and that sucks. They need to figure out the starter issues and possible clutching issues as well. The small stuff, I can let slide! The true tests will be when people can go bash them for a weekend unsupervised.

Key word, unsupervised.

Zero cars have been delivered. Zero.  Oh, they signed all kinds of paperwork, but not one has gone home to the soon to be unicorn owners. Nada

If I remember correctly, the xp1000 had a recall for misrouted or loose hanging wires along the frame near the driveshaft? It might have even been the fuel line? I’ve busted RG’s balls with the best of them but now I think it’s time for me to let the cards fall as they may. Cars are finally making it to people so that’s a plus. Yes, they have to wait for a new transmission and that sucks. They need to figure out the starter issues and possible clutching issues as well. The small stuff, I can let slide! The true tests will be when people can go bash them for a weekend unsupervised.
The real test is how it will hold up when the owners friends barrow it .

This is the scary part...

So Robby sold X number of cars for a guaranteed pre-covid price. included in that price was him recovering his research and design as well as a bit of profit & overhead.  If he has any of the profit and overhead left we all would be surprised.  Now he has a new batch of cars that are going to cost the next generation of owners almost how much more? 

We all know in that new improved pricing is profit and overhead but how many does he have to sell before he gets to start seeing some of the P&O. Plus with the softening SxS market how big of a share is he going to get and even if he got a market share as large as any of the smaller brands ( Honda, Yamaha or Kawi) is that enough cars to cover his loss from round one ? 

Then there is the fact that Can-Am  & Polaris can take a recall hit financially. They have plenty of other irons in the fire to absorb the financial impact. Does Speed have the capital? They have three models of the same basic design so if one is toast the others are in the jam unlike Polaris who have the Watercraft market, Quad market and the Snowmobile market all still moving product while things sit idle. 

59 minutes ago, DOGGY said:

That video would make me nervous as a customer. I don't want to beat a dead horse but weren't we told that he put 10,000 mi on these things to iron out the hiccups? "" Not releasing till it's perfect""

The first customers are definitely the guinea pigs on this.

Question on all the fault codes and tuning on the fly that he was talking about. Wouldn't the tune that he gave the EPA be the only "legal" tune? I figured that tune would be pretty dialed in. If they're going to bump up idle to mask the no idle problem that screws with emissions, correct?

Has anybody seen that carb cert?

Last edited by a moderator:
2 hours ago, DOGGY said:

Fair assessment.  When he says transfer case he must be talking about the rear transmission.  Someone must of hit a rock really hard or the stock skid plates are super thin.  

That video would make me nervous as a customer. I don't want to beat a dead horse but weren't we told that he put 10,000 mi on these things to iron out the hiccups? "" Not releasing till it's perfect""

The first customers are definitely the guinea pigs on this.

Question on all the fault codes and tuning on the fly that he was talking about. Wouldn't the tune that he gave the EPA be the only "legal" tune? I figured that tune would be pretty dialed in. If they're going to bump up idle to mask the no idle problem that screws with emissions, correct?

Has anybody seen that carb cert?
Sounded like Speed may have gone into each car to set up some safety parameters for the first ride.   Does seem weird that they are tuning cars.  

This is the scary part...

So Robby sold X number of cars for a guaranteed pre-covid price. included in that price was him recovering his research and design as well as a bit of profit & overhead.  If he has any of the profit and overhead left we all would be surprised.  Now he has a new batch of cars that are going to cost the next generation of owners almost how much more? 

We all know in that new improved pricing is profit and overhead but how many does he have to sell before he gets to start seeing some of the P&O. Plus with the softening SxS market how big of a share is he going to get and even if he got a market share as large as any of the smaller brands ( Honda, Yamaha or Kawi) is that enough cars to cover his loss from round one ? 

Then there is the fact that Can-Am  & Polaris can take a recall hit financially. They have plenty of other irons in the fire to absorb the financial impact. Does Speed have the capital? They have three models of the same basic design so if one is toast the others are in the jam unlike Polaris who have the Watercraft market, Quad market and the Snowmobile market all still moving product while things sit idle. 
Didn't he win a $$hit ton of money from the lawsuit? Even if it goes to appeals I'm sure he'd have people backing him financially on that.

Maybe he has plans on getting the support from hisun

Last edited by a moderator:
The car that stalled out had the wiring get loose and end up in the driveline.

11 hours ago, DOGGY said:

BLUF:

Positives: 

Power
Stout construction
Suspension ("snappy, rode well")
Electronic gizmos 
Wheels/tires work well
Good visibility

Negatives:

Power steering yanks back to center (fix investigation underway)
Suspension bottoms/springs sag
Stickers falling off due to dust
Wiring issues (loose wiring on multiple cars, 2 DNFs as a result)
Odd GUI/manual/app written by Chinese people
Window nets annoying
Roof caves in at speed
Brakes are weak
Insufficient base model skid plates (someone windowed their transaxle/whatever)

BLUF:

Positives: 

Power
Stout construction
Suspension ("snappy, rode well")
Electronic gizmos 
Wheels/tires work well
Good visibility

Negatives:

Power steering yanks back to center (fix investigation underway)
Suspension bottoms/springs sag
Stickers falling off due to dust
Wiring issues (loose wiring on multiple cars, 2 DNFs as a result)
Odd GUI/manual/app written by Chinese people
Window nets annoying
Roof caves in at speed
Brakes are weak
Insufficient base model skid plates (someone windowed their transaxle/whatever)
Good write up! That was a long winded video. Seems like there are quite a few smaller issues popping up after just one day of riding. I couldn’t help but chuckle when he talked about the stickers coming off already and dust getting under them so they wouldn’t stick anymore. Brought me back to when RG somewhat lost his chit for someone pointing out the sticker kit coming off the back of one of the cars last year! Guess that didn’t get addressed. Also, I don’t have an aftermarket skid plate on my rzr. I’ve bashed tons of rocks without trashing my driveline. Wonder how that happened?

That video was one report with his issues from one of the cars.   I’m sure other drivers had their own list of issues. 
It appears that there is additional work to be done before the Speed UTV is ready for the general public. 
Even though there are supposedly additional production cars on the way, will Speed release them with these known issues?  And what will be the timing, weeks or months?

And as someone said earlier, has anyone seen the carb certification?

Back