Speed UTV

That's a lot of SXSs in the desert.... Where do they all go???  I think there is a black hole that eats, volkswagen bugs, Rhino's 800 rzrs and now it's eating the 1000s...........Whoever finds the resting place is gonna be rich....kind of like the elephant grave yard.....they don't just vaporize. Do they????????

That's a lot of SXSs in the desert.... Where do they all go???  I think there is a black hole that eats, volkswagen bugs, Rhino's 800 rzrs and now it's eating the 1000s...........Whoever finds the resting place is gonna be rich....kind of like the elephant grave yard.....they don't just vaporize. Do they????????
www.copart.com

If you watch Matt's Off Road Recovery, the answer in southern UT/northwestern AZ is towed out behind one of his rigs on the flat bed trailer. Lots of Rzrs and X3s wreck, roll and end up getting trailered out.

Great hair, for one!

successful energy drink brand? Nah

successful nascar driver? Nah

successful owner of a global racing series? Nah

successful tool brand? Nah

owns an RC car company? Nah

kept his first wife? Nah.
Net Worth / $40 Million Dollars - Getting to do what you love for a living and be rich.......PRICELESS !!!

:lol:   He is doing just FINE I'd say!

:poule:

Does the bumper come from the factory as standard equipment?
No there is no bumper per se.   They have the bulkhead piece but it does not go out past the plastic.  Not many UTVs come with a traditional bumper.    They all offer it as an accessory. 

3 hours ago, jginsandiego said:

They have parts because he has been messing with the car long before it was released.    

This is a passion play for him and he's enjoying building a better mousetrap, embarrassing the other UTV companies with their 200 layers of worthless executives and bean counters and making a few bucks in the process. Could he make tons more money selling out? Absolutely! However, he's stated many times that Polaris bean counters over rode him and made final decisions, so this time his name was going to be on the bottom line on this design and he was going to build it the way he knows it should be built.

I don't know everything, but I understand enough to realize the wisdom and engineering behind all of his decisions and that's why I laugh at guys who never rode in a trophy truck much less designed one, claiming that RG is wrong and they know more about suspension geometry and design than he does.

:lmao:  
Too bad RG could not get Mason Motorsports to help design the Speed UTV or even Geiser.  Then he could get SDG to tune the suspension.  Then we would have a winning design with strong tabs and amazing working shocks.  LOL!

Polaris said no to RG and still managed to be a multi-billion dollar company.  How did they do it with out the great one?  LMAO

If you watch Matt's Off Road Recovery, the answer in southern UT/northwestern AZ is towed out behind one of his rigs on the flat bed trailer. Lots of Rzrs and X3s wreck, roll and end up getting trailered out.
Did you see that super wrecker that he is building on like 44 inch tires or something with the A-frame on the back basically he said that thing is built to lift razors off the ground so he doesn’t have to tow the trailer out there he’s not really going to use it for any of the heavy recovery he’s only building it for the razors his own words I know they recover hundreds of those a year I was out there last Easter week and talk to them. 

I can’t wait for Shock Therapy’s episode with Robby and Speed UTV.
Me either they’re gonna beat that thing to chit when they get a hold of one. Which is I hope what a lot of you other guys will do. I am way down the line and it wouldn’t bother me to wait till next September 2023 to get mine if anything needs to be beefed up or reworked.

They should have measured the front positive camber at droop. If the rear had 1.5 degrees then the fronts got to be 4-5 degrees, because it’s very visible. Also I’d like to see them measure the bump steer on another Pro R besides just the shop car. As we know Polaris is inconsistent with their assembly lines. I heard a guy at the Sand Show saying he bought the ST bump steer kit as his Pro had 2 inches of bump steer. But I’m not sure if that was a Pro R, Pro Turbo or the XP Pro? 

Shocked, not shocked to hear the X3 has 4 plus inches of bump steer, and the XP Pro like the Turbo S has horrible rear toe, or as I call it rear steer. 
I assume the Speed will have some positive rear camber gain.  Likely not much, but since it's trailing arm, what goes up, must come down.

Also, a lot of manufacturers dial in some safety with bumpsteer to bias the handling balance to one end or another.  4" on the Can Am is too much, IMO, but it definitely handles "safe" stock: front end refuses to take a set on turn in.  You have to trail brake the chit out of it, or wait until the suspension completely settles in a corner, to get it to pivot.  Is this optimal for guys like us?  Heeeellllll no.  But for the gas and go crowd, it keeps them out of the ambulance.

Did you see that super wrecker that he is building on like 44 inch tires or something with the A-frame on the back basically he said that thing is built to lift razors off the ground so he doesn’t have to tow the trailer out there he’s not really going to use it for any of the heavy recovery he’s only building it for the razors his own words I know they recover hundreds of those a year I was out there last Easter week and talk to them. 
That build is fun, and Matt has quite the business recovering vehicles there.  The next generation of SxSs with 200-300hp will probably be nice for him. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the fit and finish. Waited a whole year for them to address it and it was better but not quite there yet. Welds looked great!! Overall pretty impressive. 

I was a little let down when they didn’t have a production Bandit to showcase. Just the pre production one on slicks for the VIP crowd only to view. Thought that was stupid. Tried getting  my buddy in so he could take a look at it since he’s a potential buyer of one , but they said he wasn’t allowed in. 😠😡

Also, where the heck was the production Diablo at? I’m surprised no one has mentioned it. Another let down as I would’ve loved to have seen one all dolled up. 

And finally STILL NO EPA CERTS!?? 

Those certs are in the mail! :laugh1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad RG could not get Mason Motorsports to help design the Speed UTV or even Geiser.  Then he could get SDG to tune the suspension.  Then we would have a winning design with strong tabs and amazing working shocks.  LOL!

Polaris said no to RG and still managed to be a multi-billion dollar company.  How did they do it with out the great one?  LMAO
It's very simple.   The same way Microsoft did.

By selling a slightly less crappy product yr after yr after yr to the masses. Remember how many versions of DOS, then Windows there were? Each was a lousy OS, but people kept buying the new version hoping for something more stable than what they had bought the last 10 times.

Polaris does the same thing. How many versions of Rzr have they sold? Who can remember? Yet each newer one was a tiny bit better, including BNG!!!! They've sold 5 different versions to some people despite every single one of them having one or multiple stop ride/stop sells on them.

I think the current Pro R has 4 simultaneous SR/SSs on it. Maybe a new record!    :lol:   

Keep in mind Ford sold a lot more Pintos than Ferrari sold cars from 1971 to 1980. By your logic, the Pinto was far superior to a Ferrari. Not surprising you bought an X3, it disintegrated at 8,000 mi, then you bought another one and spent over $10K in gussets, brackets, braces, upgraded suspension parts, etc before driving it.  That's quality right there, plus brand loyalty.

Imagine how many lives could have been saved if there had been an aftermarket for Pinto rear bumpers, like we have for UTVs.

It's very simple.   The same way Microsoft did.

By selling a slightly less crappy product yr after yr after yr to the masses. Remember how many versions of DOS, then Windows there were? Each was a lousy OS, but people kept buying the new version hoping for something more stable than what they had bought the last 10 times.

Polaris does the same thing. How many versions of Rzr have they sold? Who can remember? Yet each newer one was a tiny bit better, including BNG!!!! They've sold 5 different versions to some people despite every single one of them having one or multiple stop ride/stop sells on them.

I think the current Pro R has 4 simultaneous SR/SSs on it. Maybe a new record!    :lol:   

Keep in mind Ford sold a lot more Pintos than Ferrari sold cars from 1971 to 1980. By your logic, the Pinto was far superior to a Ferrari. Not surprising you bought an X3, it disintegrated at 8,000 mi, then you bought another one and spent over $10K in gussets, brackets, braces, upgraded suspension parts, etc before driving it.  That's quality right there, plus brand loyalty.

Imagine how many lives could have been saved if there had been an aftermarket for Pinto rear bumpers, like we have for UTVs.
I think there’s a bit larger gulf between a Pinto and a Ferrari than Speed and Polaris…

I disagree with about 80% of what you previously posted.

I don't know what brand of sand rail you own, but there's a good chance that the Speed UTV chassis looks much more like a sand rail chassis than any of the other UTVs. Then you mentioned the power of the Pro R... that's only 225hp, the Speed has 300 hp. 

If you don't see the difference, then you don't. It's there, you just don't see it and that's fine. There are plenty of differences and they're all mentioned in the weekly tech videos. 
In comparing the two motors from above, do you know how many pounds of boost is being applied with the 300hp Speed key?

Back