Speed UTV

I have to admit he is right with this one. My dad stuffed his can am when we first got it. It was a weird bowl transfer and he misread it. Stuffed the front and we didn't notice anything so we all got back in our cars to leave and my dad says wait i'm overheating. we hadn't even moved yet. So i go look at the front radiator and the stock bumper had bent back pinching the radiator fan against the piece behind it so it wasn't spinning. A few yanks on the bumper and we got the fan to spin again and made it back to camp. After that the first thing we did with any can am we bought was put a front bumper and bulk head kit on it.
A hard hit on the nose has taken out some Can Am radiators.  The plastic top mount is not the greatest of ideas.   Bumper helps eliminate the issue by and large.  

Reading the issues with taking out the radiator maybe I should invest in a relocation kit on my X3. 

I meant in comparison to the Turbo cars...
I think in the top 10 compared to the turbo cars.  The winning turbo car was over an hour ahead of the Pro R.  I do not think a Pro R has one over all UTV in Baja yet or even top 3.  They have done it in the states. 

Not sure where in the start order the Pro Rs are in Baja.  I imagine they have several classes in front of them.  

If he does, it will be fun to watch it happen. Be great to see an "American Shelby" story happen in our time.

Speed will never be a big box mfg, nor should they ever IMHO, that would ruin what they can do outside the corporate world.

Support, Longevity and Rising costs will determine how the story will end....will still be a great story.
I respectfully disagree with this statement. Robby will sell the company to the highest bidder and walk away with a big fat pay check.  It will be sooner rather than later when he sells.  But it is within in his right to sell whenever he wants to.  The company is named "speed" for a reason, and his name is not on any of the product, only "speed" or "S"  is branded on everything.  And the manf. done in china and mexico both by hinson only makes this eventual sale even more painfully obvious.  All the patents will be sold as well, all for big, big money.  Heck, he will more than likely get a piece of the royalty pie.  He might even get a piece of "by unit" also.  And wouldn't surprise me if they kept him on payroll as a technical advisor also. 

All within his right, not bashing one bit, just saying. 

Again, not hating on anything, just making a prediction is all.  

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Robby will sell the company to the highest bidder and walk away with a big fat pay check.  It will be sooner rather than later when he sells.  But it is within in his right to sell whenever he wants to.  The company is named "speed" for a reason, and his name is not on any of the product, only "speed" or "S"  is branded on everything.  And the manf. done in china and mexico both by hinson only makes this eventual sale even more painfully obvious.  All the patents will be sold as well, all for big, big money.  Heck, he will more than likely get a piece of the royalty pie.  He might even get a piece of "by unit" also.  And wouldn't surprise me if they kept him on payroll as a technical advisor also. 

M&A is huge right now. Robby and Todd could do and be set for life. Hope I get my car before then. 

Yep, better start position for Pro R for sure.

Also the SS300 doesn't count for much.
I think the Pro R starts behind the turbo class.  The Turbo class is still the top UTV class.  The Open class (formerly unlimited) was the back of the pack starting class. 

I think the Pro R did well at Vegas to Reno, but I would have to double check.   Car is still new to desert racing so it will be a full season of sorting stuff out.  Turbo UTVs are fast so I think it will be a while before the Pro R is battling consistently for top 3 spots in UTV over all. 

Negative. The turbo guys have to deal with the slower Open cars in front of them. The turbo cars would be even faster without them slacking.

View attachment 44264
Interesting they start the open class before the turbo class.  I guess they plan on building the class up to be the trophy truck of UTV classes.  The unlimited class was the ugly duckling for so long.  

American Way :usa:

None of us would blame him either $$$

I fully disagree with this statement. For one, Robby has been very clear in the long term future and the multiple projects he wants to do. This is not work for him this is fun. Like @Grant@Funco said no one works longer or harder then Robby, and that’s by choice. No way Robby takes a check and sits by the pool. 

Speed is not new. It started back in the Cup days with a production called Speed Factory TV. It was awesome and wished they did that for the UTV. I talked to BC about it one time. That was the gateway to building Speed Energy. From there we have seen tools, RC cars, clothing, UTV’s and soon to come motorcycles. I know a kids quad was discussed. There are a few more models of UTV to design, and he’s got his eyes on a super car and a full sized street legal truck to compete with the Raptor. Many of the patents on the UTV will find there ways into these other vehicles. 

Speed UTV will become the financial Capitol to build these other visions he has. Hisun could be the perfect partner for his parts manufacturing needs and they build their own Speed assembly factory? I know a new TT is in the planning stages. I know Robby still wants to build and win Dakar. With the new manufacturing knowledge he has I can’t wait to see what come out of his brain! 

Now maybe at some point Robby & Todd decide it’s time to bring someone in to be the CEO of Speed Brands, so Both Robby & Todd can go do & build what they desire, and not worry about the daily runnings. I’m sure as Max’s race carrier starts Robbys going to be by his side too. 

But a very much don’t see both of them selling anytime soon. 
We shall see, money talks.  He still can go race all he wants if he sells, just will have more money to do it with.  And in regards to financial capitol, this would give him that and more.  Don't worry, folks can still admire him even if he sells.  

But everyone said these cars were promised in 2019  and that they’re 10 years late. Math reading and comprehension isn’t for everyone I guess. 🤣
Who said 10 years late? Lol

Looks like 3 years late. Bummer since if they had come out in 2020, they’d have been “game changers”. Right now, they’re just best choice (on paper since 0% delivery status). 

In a couple of years, Can Am will come out with their X3 replacement and competition will be on his heels. 

Reading the issues with taking out the radiator maybe I should invest in a relocation kit on my X3. 
I have yet to see someone in person smash up a radiator to the point it leaks. Closest was a buddy rolled his in Ocotillo onto a rock. Radiator was C shaped, but held pressure the entire weekend and another trip to Glamis (Covid supply shortage).

It’s really only a problem if you lawn dart it hard enough to smash the front end up. Don’t do that. :biggrin:

Also: we’re comparing the failures of thousands of vehicles that’ve been in customer hands for years to a vehicle that’s been in the hands of the guy who’s duckets are on the line if bad juju happens.

Let’s all calm down and see where the chips land in 5 years with John Q behind the wheel. The guys mashing the shifter and slamming doors are the ones that are driving Can Ams, yard saling them, and complaining on the Internet. 

I couldn’t agree with you more, isn’t this the American dream these days to get bought out and keep collecting.  Also this allows RG to save face with possible cash flow and shipping issues. ( if any)  I believe it is important to RG the car gets into the hands of his customers that have put the money down and have believed in him.   Last thing RG wants, is his reputation tarnished in the off-roading community.   I do believe he needs to get the doors resolved completely.  They were very disappointing at the show.  Also, now it was become painfully obvious the rear trailing arm mounts need attention too.  Either they need to be gusseted and or redesigned for massive side loading/ fatigue over time.  I know the engineers have been great on this project, but they are also very young.  I think he said at show the oldest was 26/27 years old.  Wisdom and past experiences come with age and time spent in the industry…  I felt bad for the young engineer that was involved with the doors as he tried to take credit for them at the Sand Show explaining them to us.  My friend mentioned to me, he wouldn’t be admitting that if I were him. 
I just hope RG does the right thing and steps up and resolves the issues instead of brushing them under the rug,  because chassis are already being powdered coated.  No reason to believe he won’t.  Time will tell, at this point. 

Back