Speed UTV

Apparently there's a video of it jumping. For the record I don't think it's a big deal, chit breaks.

Edit.. video link https://www.facebook.com/reel/1544270139361304?extid=a&s=yWDuG2&fs=e

View attachment 43785
And thats why I am rather happy I have a 1950 unit.  The guys 1000 and under should have serious miles under the belts and should more chit break at least they will stop manufacturing till its fixed before I take delivery of mine.  But like other said this was one of the pre prod models torture tested.  Aint it also the one RG unofficially raced?

Yeah I think it's one of the very early pre-production units. Might not even be the same mount design as the production unit. Even so, not a great look. 
I hope those are early mounts, but they look similar to the recent chassis video in China.

Inner:

4C685422-A681-4D1E-8989-E94F83E3E821.jpeg

Outer:

01D6C6B4-9FE0-494D-8915-F525A2D38E83.jpeg

Just a little bit of steel across the top or bottom (depending on clearance) would help a ton. Stock style VW IRS pivots have this:

image.jpeg

I hope those are early mounts, but they look similar to the recent chassis video in China.

Inner:

View attachment 43789

Outer:

View attachment 43790

Just a little bit of steel across the top or bottom (depending on clearance) would help a ton. Stock style VW IRS pivots have this:

View attachment 43788
I’m in total agreement with you here. Wish I would’ve bumped into you but no one was throwing cabbage so made it kinda hard. Lol.

Here’s a closer pic I got. What are some of you professional welders thoughts?  Looks pretty rusty and maybe they had welded on it before? CFA56F20-013A-4CD0-89F7-20D40F0CDFD0.jpeg

I’m in total agreement with you here. Wish I would’ve bumped into you but no one was throwing cabbage so made it kinda hard. Lol.

Here’s a closer pic I got. What are some of you professional welders thoughts?  Looks pretty rusty and maybe they had welded on it before? View attachment 43791
Non professional welder here. As a non-professional, I easily recognize this type of welding with direct experience. Lol. :biggrin:

Looks like it’s been repaired more than once. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Here’s a closer pic I got. What are some of you professional welders thoughts?  Looks pretty rusty and maybe they had welded on it before? View attachment 43791
Somebody in the speed group said that the arm had previously broken in the same spot and was rewelded.

I found good quality video of the entire run. He hit the jump 3 times. The first jump was fine. The second damaged the mount and the car had a bunch of negative camber on that wheel. He obviously didn't know and continued. The third jump finished it off. 

Speed car was impressive in person in that it was designed and built with a racers mentality around performance and reliability. 

Overall they are on the small side for other cars in the same hp range. 

I think a base model would give you all the best they have to offer, anything else is lipstick on a pig and extra $$$ on accessories that are sub par in fit and finish. 

Keep it race minded, thats were this utv will shine. It's not a bells and whistles car.

Let the other mfgs rule the aftermarket segment, thats how bad design can be covered up for the masses.

Nice race utv, but i felt underwhelmed is the best explanation. 

So after you purchase the speed utv you won’t need to buy anything else…. Except maybe a gusset kit?
No, you need a 10,000 watt sound system to blast out songs that the people can hear in Utah... Multiple whips that change color with the "music".....Oh and a huge ice chest...then you are all set.  

Speed car was impressive in person in that it was designed and built with a racers mentality around performance and reliability. 

Overall they are on the small side for other cars in the same hp range. 

I think a base model would give you all the best they have to offer, anything else is lipstick on a pig and extra $$$ on accessories that are sub par in fit and finish. 

Keep it race minded, thats were this utv will shine. It's not a bells and whistles car.

Let the other mfgs rule the aftermarket segment, thats how bad design can be covered up for the masses.

Nice race utv, but i felt underwhelmed is the best explanation. 
I believe they are No longer selling any base models you cannot order one if you look on the website you push the button it says out of stock when I spoke to a few of the Speed guys they were telling me that they’re just not planning on building those anytime soon With all the other ones they have to build in front of them RG models and LE models and the cost have gone up high enough for the base models are not making sense

Hard from me to believe the new cars will have a weak point here. Didn't Robbie put a million miles on these things testing? I have to think they constantly tried to break it.

For those that care, here's the video. Grabbed it off facebook. The second jump that partially broke it is at about 2:05. You will see the camber way off after that. Then it completely let's go at 3:15.

Bottom line. Not very good publicity to run an "OLD" raced car that wasn't even checked? Why don't they have the "NEW" stuff? That's showing the reliability. Remember it's the masses that see it in a negative light because they don't know the better. I thought 40000 cars was to be delivered? before dune season? :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JBL
Back