Speed UTV

Heard some have already received their calls and are finalizing their cars. Car #26 and the highest car that I’ve seen is car #42. View attachment 41099
Cool I hope some of these early people will put out some videos and likes and dislikes soon after they show up. Looking forward to the thread getting more technical or a new one starting for owners helping owners.

Cool I hope some of these early people will put out some videos and likes and dislikes soon after they show up. Looking forward to the thread getting more technical or a new one starting for owners helping owners.
Hey, me, Rockwood and Mike Gonzalez pretty much had a tech thread going on here. Show some love man. 🤣 Maybe the moderators can move this over when the real tech thread gets going. Lol. Just kidding. It was nice talking geometry with the @Rockwood and @michael.gonzalez  love learning this stuff. #Shoptalk #Sh1ttalk #havingfunandlearning. 

Hey, me, Rockwood and Mike Gonzalez pretty much had a tech thread going on here. Show some love man. 🤣 Maybe the moderators can move this over when the real tech thread gets going. Lol. Just kidding. It was nice talking geometry with the @Rockwood and @michael.gonzalez  love learning this stuff. #Shoptalk #Sh1ttalk #havingfunandlearning. 
I read it all, just figure once some of these are in our hands there could be a thread more on the subject of ownership, up keep, Belt stuff... (Never had one of those myself) any tweaking for our own accessories, customizing and getting together for some rides, ETC......Between river daves newer thread and race dez this one seems to get the most useful tech discussions going back and forth.

Problem I have is the engineers at his favorite targets also worked hard on their product. Shitting on them like they didn’t have a million choices to make is flat wrong. 
Working hard and working smart are two VERY different things!

Million choices to make?! #1 choice at Polaris is "HOW CHEAP CAN WE MAKE IT? HOW MUCH PROFITS CAN WE MAKE?"

Poor Polaris Engineers getting their feelings hurt. LOL!

Million choices to make?! #1 choice at Polaris is "HOW CHEAP CAN WE MAKE IT? HOW MUCH PROFITS CAN WE MAKE?"

Polaris, Can Am, Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Ram, Fiat, VW, Yamaha, and etc.......   Deal with the same thing.  Design it and let's see what parts we can get away with and still be reliable.  They all have to deal with a balance of making a reliable vehicle, make the price somewhat reasonable, and make a profit.  

Speed UTV is cutting their cost by taking the manufacturing overseas and getting materials overseas.   At some point the price of the Speed UTV is going to cost even more or they will have to figure ways to cut cost to maintain a profit that yields long term sustainability.  

Yeah. It's obvious you haven't worked at a big OEM. 

Either way, the "HOW CHEAP CAN WE MAKE IT" is what the customer wants.  TCO?  Fack that.  This one's $300 cheaper.  Speed UTV appears to be niche for those who actually look at TCO, and it's super cool, though the shift towards overseas manufacturing is getting concerning.  Constant Richard-measuring to a price-point engineered product like the 10 year old design XP is like a trans "female" swimmer being happy with winning a medal...

usa_today_17926019.0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Polaris, Can Am, Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Ram, Fiat, VW, Yamaha, and etc.......   Deal with the same thing.  Design it and let's see what parts we can get away with and still be reliable.  They all have to deal with a balance of making a reliable vehicle, make the price somewhat reasonable, and make a profit.  

Speed UTV is cutting their cost by taking the manufacturing overseas and getting materials overseas.   At some point the price of the Speed UTV is going to cost even more or they will have to figure ways to cut cost to maintain a profit that yields long term sustainability.  
"Value Engineering"

No such thing as a NON Refundable deposit in California. They cannot keep your money. It's the LAW. Believe me 33 years in retail vehicle sales. NO DEALER has a leg to stand on. They will fold, I promise.
Came across this and wondered what your thoughts are about it. Is it that California has a special law and other states do not? So is it possible somebody in Arizona or Nevada could get screwed?

FB_IMG_1661442439291.jpg

Came across this and wondered what your thoughts are about it. Is it that California has a special law on other states do not?

View attachment 41127
 Good luck to that dealer.  $6,000 deposit and you get the pleasure of paying $90,000 over MSRP.   In CA the deposit would be refundable if you decided not to buy the car.  

Imagine Guthrie in a Speed UTV!

I find it hard to believe he would be slower!!!
Maybe when they deliver one he can race it. :biggrin:

They'll need some lead time to cut the cage off though.  "DOM equivalent" (does it mean ASTM standards for DOM or not?) probably won't pass tech.  Will also need an actual diagonal brace instead of the "patented V bars front and rear".  

Came across this and wondered what your thoughts are about it. Is it that California has a special law and other states do not? So is it possible somebody in Arizona or Nevada could get screwed?

View attachment 41127
I was told the same thing by many Can am dealers last December when I was out shopping for a new helmet. Can am was only taking orders at that time and a 500 non refundable deposit had to be sent from the dealer to can am to get a spot in line of course that was at the height of supply chain issues.

The JImco Hammerhead is the only Class 1 car that I know of that has links. This car is Jimcos latest design for the Class 1's. I tried to upload a video of our first race with 179 but it was too big. I took a couple screen shots of the rear suspension. 

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

Maybe when they deliver one he can race it. :biggrin:

They'll need some lead time to cut the cage off though.  "DOM equivalent" (does it mean ASTM standards for DOM or not?) probably won't pass tech.  Will also need an actual diagonal brace instead of the "patented V bars front and rear".  
Cage is already approved by tech inspectors at SCORE/BITD. Where have you been?!

Just needs the bolted-junctions welded and door bars added.

The JImco Hammerhead is the only Class 1 car that I know of that has links. This car is Jimcos latest design for the Class 1's. I tried to upload a video of our first race with 179 but it was too big. I took a couple screen shots of the rear suspension. 

View attachment 41130

View attachment 41131
That is just a longer semi-trailing arm. No links or radius rods!

EDIT: OOPS. I was wrong. I guess it does have radius rods/links...

I need more coffee. Or less coffee? Nahhh, more coffee.

Back