Speed UTV

And it will show that it is "all over the place"...
It sounds like drivers of other SXSs have no prayer of keeping them on 4 wheels.  So if a Speed UTV ends up flipping was it merely because the driver messed up? 

You and Rockwood lost me with all the lines and technical talk.  I am going to stay at a Holiday Express tonight and learn engineering.  LOL!!!

SXSs have a tendency to flip when people do doughnuts with a vehicle that does not have an open rear diff and when they drive beyond their abilities.  Some flip because s--- happens.

I would be curious to see that the roll center is on the other brands.

I have a feeling once the Speed UTV orders are filled and dealers have units to sell the price is going to be more than a Pro R.  
Roll center is gonna be super similar on the X3 since it's parallel too:

can_am_tube_rear_suspension_links_web-2_1.jpg

Wildcat XX uses trailing arms.  Would need to see the offset on the pivots from above to determine roll center, but assume it's close to what Robby says (2").

YXZ1000 appears close to RZR, with maybe a slightly lower RC since there's a marginal offset on the links:

6000000022.jpeg

And it will show that it is "all over the place"...
LOL.  There's a total change in track width of 15%, which corresponds to change in roll center relative to ride height.  That's hardly "all over the place" and at no time does it get remotely close to the CoG of the vehicle, so not really going to see a bunch of jacking forces that will cause it to geometrically roll over like grandpa's Corvair...

Keep in mind that we're nearly measuring suspension travel in feet at this point.  Roll centers will move.  Considering the ride height of the vehicle changes by 22" during cycling, the roll center getting increased by 3" at full droop isn't chit.

Like I said: if it's so bad, why does he use that exact same geometry up front?  Shouldn't he have used his "patented shocks" to control the suspension and get the geometry right instead of chasing travel numbers to lower roll centers?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Roll center is gonna be super similar on the X3 since it's parallel too:

Wildcat XX uses trailing arms.  Would need to see the offset on the pivots from above to determine roll center, but assume it's close to what Robby says (2").

YXZ1000 appears close to RZR, with maybe a slightly lower RC since there's a marginal offset on the links:

LOL.  There's a total change in track width of 15%, which corresponds to change in roll center relative to ride height.  That's hardly "all over the place" and at no time does it get remotely close to the CoG of the vehicle, so not really going to see a bunch of jacking forces that will cause it to geometrically roll over like grandpa's Corvair...

Keep in mind that we're nearly measuring suspension travel in feet at this point.  Roll centers will move.  Considering the ride height of the vehicle changes by 22" during cycling, the roll center getting increased by 3" at full droop isn't chit.

Like I said: if it's so bad, why does he use that exact same geometry up front?  Shouldn't he have used his "patented shocks" to control the suspension and get the geometry right instead of chasing travel numbers to lower roll centers?  
I am saying the roll center moves A LOT more with radius rods than with trailing arms...

A LOT more.

I am saying the roll center moves A LOT more with radius rods than with trailing arms...

A LOT more.
15%, ish by my guesstimates. Maybe it's 30%. 

Either way, that geometry is on the front of his vehicle, so if it's so atrocious, why did he handicap the front?  He made his own bulkhead, and he could've very easily decreased the vertical separation at the inner pivots to lower his instant centers if it were that important (causing rollovers seems important, no?).  He didn't.  Why?  Either he made a huge mistake...

Or it doesn't matter all that much.

The video jumped around a little on the explanation. Radius rods don't cause vehicles to flip, their geometry does.  Saying "our chit doesn't have geometry" (trailing arm) isn't a good explanation on why vehicles roll.

Roll centers determine how much body roll your vehicle will have, and is determined by drawing a bunch of imaginary lines.  All those lines break down like this: having a higher roll center means the sprung mass has less leverage over the suspension, meaning less body roll.  Like all suspension geometry, there's a tradeoff.  He's correct that if the roll center is too high, you end up with jacking because the suspension geometrically binds and instead of body roll, you get the whole vehicle rolling.

But, how bad is it? For the PoPo, my MS Paint skills sorta failed me because the geometry hilariously puts the instant centers somewhere in China, and NFW I'm taking the time to model it in SW or whatever... Either way, at ride height, here's my rough guesstimate on roll center:

View attachment 41022

And here's one at full droop:

View attachment 41023

Looking at the above, I think Robby's statement on jacking isn't 100% accurate.   It doesn't "go all over the place" like said in the video, but it does increase because the arms on a RZR are mostly parallel to each other.  This means the roll center will increase at about the same rate the track decreases.  Since the thoughts are 10" of track reduction at full droop, that's about a 15% rise in roll center beyond the normal amount of increase in ride height.  This will cause the jacking forces to increase as the suspension droops, but I don't think the roll center is so egregious that there's some terminal point of jacking and you get geometrically thrown over. I think the rollover tendency has more to do with the fact that it's a tall ass car with only 64" of total width than suspension geometry.

In any case, if the roll center geometry was such a problem, why'd he use it up front?

It's the same parallel geometry that puts the instant centers in China, so he's going to have the same jacking forces and changes in roll center.  Is he saying the Speed UTV will cartwheel around the front tire instead of just rolling over on its side? :biggrin:

That aside, with the 2" roll center in the rear, this means he'll have a downward sloping roll axis that increases non-linearly the more the car squats.  Driving style wise, I think the Speed might be more "drifty" as a result.  The RZRs and Can Ams, as we already know, understeer more and REALLY don't want to drift.

In the end, trailing arms aren't really superior for suspension, just different.  No suspension geometry is perfect, since you have a gazillion competing priorities that will change the characteristics of the vehicle.  Parallel links/control arms allow you to dial out bumpsteer, and give consistent CV angles so you don't need plunge.  Non parallel will give you the ability to dial out jacking forces and increase grip through camber gain (like a Funco's front suspension), but you won't be able to dial out bumpsteer and driven axles will require plunge.  It's all in the compromise you want and to say something is "wrong" like that it just dismissing the design goals. 
I’m pretty sure I agree with what your saying. A bit over my head but sounds right to me. 😜Check out this clip from RG explaining roll center and geometry. Start at the 39 minute mark. I’m very interested in what your thoughts are. He explains geometry much  better here. I also believe Kawasaki doesn’t have as much track width change even though it has radius rods. Speed uses trailing arms and dual plunging CVS to help. 

15%, ish by my guesstimates. Maybe it's 30%. 

Either way, that geometry is on the front of his vehicle, so if it's so atrocious, why did he handicap the front?  He made his own bulkhead, and he could've very easily decreased the vertical separation at the inner pivots to lower his instant centers if it were that important (causing rollovers seems important, no?).  He didn't.  Why?  Either he made a huge mistake...

Or it doesn't matter all that much.
Front suspension geometry has VERY DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS than rear suspension geometry...

Ground Vehicle Dynamics is not simple

the guys at sxsblog already had to rebuild onee of there pro R engines after they did some hurricanes rotations on some frozen pond. Lack of oil pressuress I think. Any ways they showed part of there rebuild and said they thought the bottom end was built strong enough for turbo applications.Maybey they are correct.
I did see that video.. makes sense.. The Black One was on it's lid for 30 minutes and it cooked the motor.. weak internals for sure... Fortunately warranty covered it.. no scratches.. forgot to mention the 'slow roll'...  :rofl:

abc

flop.PNG

Front suspension geometry has VERY DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS than rear suspension geometry...

Ground Vehicle Dynamics is not simple
Yep.  But for the phenomenon of jacking, it's the same physics whether it's the front of the car or the rear since we're talking about body roll.

image.png

Roll centers will be "all over the place" here as well.  Just because it's on the front, doesn't mean the "problem" goes away.

But yes, vehicle dynamics is a consideration on every vehicle, which is why I don't like Robby's team pointing at one minor problem (in the grand scheme of suspension design) and saying "their cars suck, mine rules".  You're making my point: there's a lot of design characteristics to consider and there isn't a "correct" suspension design as the goals can vary wildly.

For example, if handling balance for the everyday Joe is a consideration, causing dynamic changes in the elevations of the front and rear roll centers (roll axis) will cause a vehicle to be a bit rear balanced and can cause problems.  Trailing arm rear/parallel link front arms will make it handle more like a "buggy" since trailing arms don't have great A/S and the front geometry's "all over the place" roll center will make the downward sloping (trends towards oversteer, all else equal) roll axis increase at a non-linear rate.  There's a gazillion other things the chassis engineers can do to combat this, but in the end, that's the geometric balance, so anything you do will have some other knock-on effect elsewhere. 

For guys like me, this oversteer bias is good.  For idiot Joe Schmoe Arrive and Drive, this may result in a trip to Brawley.  All in what you want. :biggrin:

The video jumped around a little on the explanation. Radius rods don't cause vehicles to flip, their geometry does.  Saying "our chit doesn't have geometry" (trailing arm) isn't a good explanation on why vehicles roll.

Roll centers determine how much body roll your vehicle will have, and is determined by drawing a bunch of imaginary lines.  All those lines break down like this: having a higher roll center means the sprung mass has less leverage over the suspension, meaning less body roll.  Like all suspension geometry, there's a tradeoff.  He's correct that if the roll center is too high, you end up with jacking because the suspension geometrically binds and instead of body roll, you get the whole vehicle rolling.

But, how bad is it? For the PoPo, my MS Paint skills sorta failed me because the geometry hilariously puts the instant centers somewhere in China, and NFW I'm taking the time to model it in SW or whatever... Either way, at ride height, here's my rough guesstimate on roll center:

View attachment 41022

And here's one at full droop:

View attachment 41023

Looking at the above, I think Robby's statement on jacking isn't 100% accurate.   It doesn't "go all over the place" like said in the video, but it does increase because the arms on a RZR are mostly parallel to each other.  This means the roll center will increase at about the same rate the track decreases.  Since the thoughts are 10" of track reduction at full droop, that's about a 15% rise in roll center beyond the normal amount of increase in ride height.  This will cause the jacking forces to increase as the suspension droops, but I don't think the roll center is so egregious that there's some terminal point of jacking and you get geometrically thrown over. I think the rollover tendency has more to do with the fact that it's a tall ass car with only 64" of total width than suspension geometry.

In any case, if the roll center geometry was such a problem, why'd he use it up front?

It's the same parallel geometry that puts the instant centers in China, so he's going to have the same jacking forces and changes in roll center.  Is he saying the Speed UTV will cartwheel around the front tire instead of just rolling over on its side? :biggrin:

That aside, with the 2" roll center in the rear, this means he'll have a downward sloping roll axis that increases non-linearly the more the car squats.  Driving style wise, I think the Speed might be more "drifty" as a result.  The RZRs and Can Ams, as we already know, understeer more and REALLY don't want to drift.

In the end, trailing arms aren't really superior for suspension, just different.  No suspension geometry is perfect, since you have a gazillion competing priorities that will change the characteristics of the vehicle.  Parallel links/control arms allow you to dial out bumpsteer, and give consistent CV angles so you don't need plunge.  Non parallel will give you the ability to dial out jacking forces and increase grip through camber gain (like a Funco's front suspension), but you won't be able to dial out bumpsteer and driven axles will require plunge.  It's all in the compromise you want and to say something is "wrong" like that it just dismissing the design goals. 
I've been driving The Black One and The Orange One (I know they are NOT Pro R's) both bought with less than 1 mile on them.. they run great in a straight line and can eat ANYTHING, but the body roll is significant. I had to 'save' The Orange One a few times when I ran it solo at my Mom's in Rialto. 

Brother-in-Law and I are running The Twins Saturday in Green Valley and I'll be making sure he understands the 'body roll' risk.. no room for error on those BIG drop-off switchbacks ..

abc

I've been driving The Black One and The Orange One (I know they are NOT Pro R's) both bought with less than 1 mile on them.. they run great in a straight line and can eat ANYTHING, but the body roll is significant. I had to 'save' The Orange One a few times when I ran it solo at my Mom's in Rialto. 

Brother-in-Law and I are running the Twins Saturday in Green Valley and I'll be making sure he understands the 'body roll' risk.. no room for error on switchbacks ..

abc
CoG on a RZR is pretty high, and the track is narrow.  Not the best to fight body roll.  X3 has the same geometry, but CoG is lower (plus you sit way lower, so it "feels" better), and body roll is considerably reduced (at least to me).  I've driven the 64" X3 and RZR back to back, so it's not the 72" RS model's track advantage.  X3, however, has to put the gas tank in an odd spot to allow the seats to be so low...

CoG on a RZR is pretty high, and the track is narrow.  Not the best to fight body roll.  X3 has the same geometry, but CoG is lower (plus you sit way lower, so it "feels" better), and body roll is considerably reduced (at least to me).  I've driven the 64" X3 and RZR back to back, so it's not the 72" RS model's track advantage.
The Canned Ham (buddy has one) is much MUCH lower COG.. trade off, he can't take the 4 seater anywhere like I can with mine.. forget rock crawling altogether, but I have to 'turn out' in G when he doesn't occasionally. 

We really noticed COG when he sold me his off-road jack,.. wouldn't even slide under his X3.. and I could put the same jack under The Twins with a 6" block on top. Maybe I had Shock Therapy jack mine too high as well..

I'm just a driver.. I don't understand many of the dynamics like camber, COG and stuff.. just drive by the seat of my pants...

.. but we all acknowledge that..

635984516134033883-TopGun-Still-KS-5413---NOT-APPROVED.jpg

abc

images

“No suspension geometry is perfect, since you have a gazillion competing priorities that will change the characteristics of the vehicle”.

Again I agree with you @Rockwood  but I also believe that due to Speeds lower roll center and lower center of gravity and no track width change in the rear is a much better design than having a radius rod designed car that is far more prone to have track width change higher center of gravity and roil center which causes it to become way more tippy. Not to mention it’s just another piece thats always breaking. Trophy trucks don’t have radius arms.

Anyways everyone is entitled to what they believe. I like coming on here and learning. And I’m way over my head on this subject, but I’m trying. 

“No suspension geometry is perfect, since you have a gazillion competing priorities that will change the characteristics of the vehicle”.

Again I agree with you @Rockwood  but I also believe that due to Speeds lower roll center and lower center of gravity and no track width change in the rear is a much better design than having a radius rod designed car that is far more prone to have track width change higher center of gravity and roil center which causes it to become way more tippy. Not to mention it’s just another piece thats always breaking. Trophy trucks don’t have radius arms.

Anyways everyone is entitled to what they believe. I like coming on here and learning. And I’m way over my head on this subject, but I’m trying. 
I hear you.  Like all things, it depends though. :biggrin:

Trailing arm is going to be harder on CVs.  Just ask any buggy guy.  You don't hear about SxS guys arguing about what grease to use, complaining about pitting stars, etc.  Part of it's the power, but another part is plunging CVs pump grease and need more maintenance.  You also can't really dial any anti-squat in, so you're at the mercy of the spring rate to dial that out.

Yeah, the track width change is sub-optimal, but I don't think it's make or break.  I go from a trailing arm buggy to a Can Am all the time, what I notice is the lack of turn in and "pointy front end" more than the rear suspension tracking funny.  Lack of turn in is because it's tuned "safe" geometry and spring rate wise.  It's fine, and I can get it to hustle quickly enough, it just requires driving style adjustments that are less fun.  Compared to most buggies, the stock Can Am soaks up bumps way better.

Parts break.  Trailing arms will have more stress on the two pivots since they see more leverage, forcing you to run much heavier components, and if something breaks it's usually terminal. Definitely an easier design to make beefy though.

Trophy trucks don't have trailing arms (they're technically trailing links) either. :biggrin:

Either way, Robby pointing at one geometric aspect of a vehicle and saying "mine's bigger" is misleading.  Look at the whole system, make your judgement. I think conversations like this are educational and fun, no hard feelings here. :biggrin:

Back