Speed UTV

anyone know the northernmost dealer for speed? i've asked speed a couple times without response. i'm in washington state and am interested in one but the shipping might kill the deal?
Been gone  a week or so - did I miss it ?  Speed UTV's are at dealers now?  

I knew when RG said first 50 cars April/May he was not far off...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think the angle was that severe. It was going fast when it landed. I’ve seen cars land at more extreme angles and he landed pretty much on both right side wheels at the same time so it’s not like the full load was just on the right front corner. But what I think happened is the suspension geometry the Pro R has with the wheels at full droop is kinda like a I-beam Ford Ranger. The front tire probably had 10 more degrees of camber tuck then the car was at. That angle cause the wheel to dig & grab which caused the ball joints to fail & shear in the soft sand. Remember a ball joint does not offer a center point of the pivot or double sheer to support the load. Lots of leverage on the end of that ball joint. 

I think the reason Polaris had to add that  “I-Beam” Camber effect to the front suspension at full drop was because of CV angles. Due to them trying to achieve suspension travel numbers the CV can’t handle it so they added camber to reduce CV degree angles. 

Notice it lands with both right wheels and is not at an extreme angle. 
View attachment 34384

Notice the front tire digs and turns hard right, and that’s the ball joints shearing at that point. ST and a few others have reported rack failures too. So it’s possible the rack failed with the side load causing the wheel to turn and shearing the ball joints? 

View attachment 34385

Regarding the rear, the side that failed was not the side it landed on. Which is also surprising as the radius rod design actually pulls the suspension down and under as it unloads. That’s actually what happened on the left side when it flipped onto its left side. It’s not like the car cartwheeled. It just flipped onto its side while going backwards. It pushed the suspension down which over extends the shock pulling the shock apart. The shock acts as the limiting strap. Once that shock pulled apart the radius rods are going to keep rotating under the chassis and eventually bend or break as they get weaker the more angle added to the inner & outer pivot points. Does not matter if they are 4130 or 7075. Would probably not have bent or sheared if the rods were perfectly parallel to the pivot points. This is also why the axle completely pulled out of the trans due to angle. 

Remember a radius rod design as it cycles, narrows the wheel track. All the load is on those two or 3 rods. Also as the suspension unloads it actual lifts the rear of the car up higher and narrows the wheel track. 
Yeah.  Reason I said the arms were near vertical was in line with this.  If you look, despite HUUUUGE air and only landing on 2 wheels, it never bottoms the suspension (though the failed suspension stuffs the tire almost instantly) until it goes flat.  I think the angle was enough to bind the suspension a little and put a lot of load into that balljoint. 

image.png

You can see the sand shooting at warp speed out the side right after it lands, and in your pics the wheel traveled more into the ground than the suspension compressed. There's some physics involved here, and if it had uniballs, it would've just murdered the next thing in line, LOL.

Either way: more capability just means people push the limits until chit goes (literally in this case) sideways.  NFW he goes big air like that in a near stock RZR XPT hours into getting it into the dunes. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir. The canam did have fabwerx fixxins but yes, been way more stretched out than that. Not as high admittedly. But most likely faster and repeatedly.

That really isn't that bad, but we are talking stock ball joints So i guess it makes sense.

ETA: Nobody has talked about the Pro Rs at the 500. What's the straight dope?
That car weighs a ton compared to the Can Am.  That looked like a lot of force and some really bad luck with those guys.  The fact it sheared the ZRP radius rod should be enough evidence that was a really hard hit.   

I think Wayne had a DNF at the 500 and his wife finished.  Not anywhere near the winning turbo cars.  Impressive was Brandon Sims in a new Tubro R getting 3rd.  

Yeah I know... I was just throwing it out there since everyone has had a hard on since SS300.

Tough luck for Wayne for sure. There's going to be some growing pains on the big races for sure.
They will get it sorted out.  The real test will be the Baja 1000.   I would think they will be racing Vegas to Reno this year to get things sorted out and get more testing done.   

V2R in my mind is a longer parade than SS300. Everybody is leaving BITD. Even the staff. Competition is being spread thin in the US races.

As you said B1k will be test. But the 500 is just as big of a test.

Do we know for a fact a belt took Wayne of the race?
I am not sure what took him out of the race.  It would of been nice to see Guthrie race his Pro R in Baja.  

This years 500 course looked tight in a lot of areas and rough.   Vegas to Reno is a good test for maintaining higher speeds for a long distance.  Plus the heat and altitude changes.  Good for durability testing and it gives Matlock more opportunity to sort things out before the Baja 400 and 1000. 

LOTD maybe can explain how the clevis survived.   LOL!
When Sand Shark is wondering why something on a Rzr DIDN'T fail, it kinda tells you something. My guess is the same reason Sand Shark is still alive. Pure luck.

:lol:

I feel bad for the SxSblog guys. While they have proven that they could break a bowling ball, and Sous did launch it pretty hard off that jump, those guys probably spend 50 hrs fixing that thing for every hour that poor Sous gets to drive it.

I feel bad for the SxSblog guys. While they have proven that they could break a bowling ball, and Sous did launch it pretty hard off that jump, those guys probably spend 50 hrs fixing that thing for every hour that poor Sous gets to drive it.
Yeah, but carnage brings in the views and the views brings in the money and the money brings in more toys to buy and break and the cycle continues. Everyone loves CARNAGE!! 

When Sand Shark is wondering why something on a Rzr DIDN'T fail, it kinda tells you something. My guess is the same reason Sand Shark is still alive. Pure luck.

:lol:

LOL!  I think you are wondering why the clevis did not fail.  I mean there are pages of you arguing about the design flaw.    

Those SXSblog guys have been destroying stuff for a long time.  The trailer flipping was probably the only one that was not self inflicted. 

LOL!  I think you are wondering why the clevis did not fail.  I mean there are pages of you arguing about the design flaw.    

Those SXSblog guys have been destroying stuff for a long time.  The trailer flipping was probably the only one that was not self inflicted. 
I thought the trailer flipping was also self inflicted. I thought they forgot to lock the gooseneck on the ball. Did the ball break off? 

Back