Speed UTV

The saddle tank deal was GM.
Yup, you're right! I conflated the GM saddle tank fiasco with the Ford F-150 fuel tank recall. Following big daddy's logic, you'd think Ford would know how and where to install a fuel tank by now.

Ford Recalls 1.1 Million Pickup Trucks Over Fuel Tank Fire Hazard

PUBLISHED MON, AUG 1 20116:14 PM EDTUPDATED FRI, SEP 13 20134:33 PM EDT

Ford Motor is recalling 1.1 million pickup trucks because the gas tanks can fall off and cause fires.

There is not one single ball joint in the entire Speed UTV. The all new and bloated Pro R still uses ball joints and that will be it's weak point. The front arms look beefy, but nobody looks at the ball joints, which is what the front spindles will be dangling from in a wreck. They finally made a strong one piece chassis and roll cage, but the suspension is still not up to the power of the engine if one wrecks at high speed.
If you wreck at high speed in any vehicle parts are going to break.  Something has to give and help absorb the energy of a crash and help protect the occupant(s).  I guess you think modern cars with crumple zones are poorly designed because parts fail in crashes.   

Exactly how many ball joints have you seen fail on the Pro R ? I am going to say you have seen none.   How many have you seen on any of the current sport UTVs just fail absent a crash?  Going to guess you have seen none. 

Exactly how many suspension failures have you seen with the Pro R (a-arms or trailing arms)?   Only suspension issue I am aware of was Wayne Matlock's race Pro R during the Baja race. He broke the lower shock mount.  No ball joints, no a-arms, no trailing arms.  Have not heard of any failing for the thousands of owners out there. 

Even the Speed UTV will break parts in a high speed crash.  

That was gnarly.  
Yep I feel sorry for those guys. Glad no one was hurt though. On top of that they still got to fix the brand new 4 seater pro r that Heavy D guy smashed up. Lots of work ahead for them. These guys are putting the test to the pro r. They also blew up the motor in the 4 seater doing spins on the ice. That video shows the internals of the 4 cylinder 2 liter in detail. Here is an hours worth of video if you have time.

If you wreck at high speed in any vehicle parts are going to break.  Something has to give and help absorb the energy of a crash and help protect the occupant(s).  I guess you think modern cars with crumple zones are poorly designed because parts fail in crashes.   

Exactly how many ball joints have you seen fail on the Pro R ? I am going to say you have seen none.   How many have you seen on any of the current sport UTVs just fail absent a crash?  Going to guess you have seen none. 

Exactly how many suspension failures have you seen with the Pro R (a-arms or trailing arms)?   Only suspension issue I am aware of was Wayne Matlock's race Pro R during the Baja race. He broke the lower shock mount.  No ball joints, no a-arms, no trailing arms.  Have not heard of any failing for the thousands of owners out there. 

As I've said before, even a Rhino is fine until you wreck it. All of the thousands of pics and videos of broken Rzrs and X3s could have held up better if they had heim joints or uniballs instead of ball joints. I'd rather see people be able to run out of talent and still be able to drive it back, than the current "I G'd out in a bowl and now I need to get towed back to camp or Joe Fab."

Thousands of Pro Rs????  C'mon...    :lol:

As for the Speed, I'm sure time will prove to you what I've been trying to tell you here in your entertainment thread. Uniballs are a LOT stronger than ball joints. There's a big difference in the forces involved between hitting something at 30 mph and hitting something at 60 mph.

As I've said before, even a Rhino is fine until you wreck it. All of the thousands of pics and videos of broken Rzrs and X3s could have held up better if they had heim joints or uniballs instead of ball joints. I'd rather see people be able to run out of talent and still be able to drive it back, than the current "I G'd out in a bowl and now I need to get towed back to camp or Joe Fab."

As for the Speed, I'm sure time will prove to you what I've been trying to tell you here in your entertainment thread. Uniballs are a LOT stronger than ball joints. There's a big difference in the forces involved between hitting something at 30 mph and hitting something at 60 mph.
I am pretty sure the number is in the thousands for the Pro R.  

In those videos and pictures the heim or uniball may have survived, but odds are an a-arm is bending or something else is bending.  

I never said ball joints were better than uniballs or stronger than uniballs.  My point is that the ball joints hold up better than you think.  If you hit something at 60 the last thing you will be worrying about is driving your ride back to the trailer.   

Borrow my wife's X3 whenever my buggy chit's out an R&P or CV or whatever...  I've G'd out LOTS of times forcing that poor thing to keep up on rides with LT cars, never towed back.  Hell, buddy of mine lost his ignition unit and stalled out right in front of her in a blind transition, forcing her to slam on the brakes at the tippy top of a dune (or crash into him).  She rolled 5 times down a hill.  Flipped it on its wheels, put the chit that fell out of the glove box back, popped a tail light back into place and she towed the stalled buggy out.  

Is it the strongest thing in the world?  Nope.  But don't be dumbass, use it normally, and it'll be fiiiiine.  Guaranteed the general public will find ways to smash Speed UTVs into oblivion just as much as they do the current crop of SxSs.  People in this sport push things to the limits.  Raise the limits, people will just crash at that speed instead.

Borrow my wife's X3 whenever my buggy chit's out an R&P or CV or whatever...  I've G'd out LOTS of times forcing that poor thing to keep up on rides with LT cars, never towed back.  Hell, buddy of mine lost his ignition unit and stalled out right in front of her in a blind transition, forcing her to slam on the brakes at the tippy top of a dune (or crash into him).  She rolled 5 times down a hill.  Flipped it on its wheels, put the chit that fell out of the glove box back, popped a tail light back into place and she towed the stalled buggy out.  

Is it the strongest thing in the world?  Nope.  But don't be dumbass, use it normally, and it'll be fiiiiine.  Guaranteed the general public will find ways to smash Speed UTVs into oblivion just as much as they do the current crop of SxSs.  People in this sport push things to the limits.  Raise the limits, people will just crash at that speed instead.
Maybe people will crash at higher speeds if the industry raises the speeds that UTVs can attain, but there's no doubt that uniballs are stronger than ball joints. The difference in strength means that there will be a different outcome at less than max speeds.

We shall see. 

Maybe people will crash at higher speeds if the industry raises the speeds that UTVs can attain, but there's no doubt that uniballs are stronger than ball joints. The difference in strength means that there will be a different outcome at less than max speeds.

We shall see. 
Yep. And a big block Chevy will be way less stressed making 225hp than a 1L 2-banger. 

Doesn't mean it’s necessary either. It’s a 2500lb vehicle, not a 6,000lb trophy truck. Ball joints haven’t been a problem for the others. 

We shall see. 
All it means is they will just break something else. 

200.gif

No way absolutely no way will it EVER break ANYTHING!!!! Not as long as we have been waiting.  :classic_biggrin:

I don’t think you get it bro. Here let me help!

Speed is radically different. RG makes the final decision, and it's based on the best solution, not the cheapest. - LOTD

View attachment 32955
Yup had a couple misses. But, that’s a preproduction car. Those cars will never end up being “sold” to a customer. And I’m pretty confident the actual production cars will not have these types of mistakes. 

Yup had a couple misses. But, that’s a preproduction car. Those cars will never end up being “sold” to a customer. And I’m pretty confident the actual production cars will not have these types of mistakes. 
If I were RG I would leave one ugly weld somewhere.  Call it find Weldo.  Lol

Back