Speed UTV

Well lets see, i have a full aluminum body, the roof is .125" thick., my floor is steel expanded metal, my tranny has to weigh more than a 300hp mini tranny and a front diff (and my trannys can support 6-800 hp.) rear trailing arms with 12" brakes, 4 934 cvs and my axles weigh more than any mini driveshafts.  I might be missing two rear seats but my car is still a four seater. the rear doors are not there but i have steel tubing there in its place. in the place (of the back two seats) i have a radiator full of water that is 31" wide by 19" tall and (hardly the size of the sxs radiator).  with all that water weight and two large 16 paddle blades, my intercooler is twice the size and weight with two large 12" paddle blades. lastly my 6 cylinder engine clearly is easily twice the weight of a two cylinder engine.  Its still baffling the weight but i get it....................
The Pro R is a 4 cylinder motor.  Not sure how much it weighs.  The cars will shed a little weight with a paddle tire set up as those 32" dirt tires/wheel combo are in the 65lb+ range.  All the little stuff they put on the UTV just add up.  

I thought you did a lot of stuff to shave some weight off you car.  

I will be curious to see how much my friend's Funco will weigh when he is done with his remodel.  He has a Gen 4 that he is removing the back seats and making a 2 seater. Adding a big fuel cell, converting the suspension to the bigger stuff, and he will be running a turbo Honda motor.  

Where are you seeing any experts predicting these kinds of numbers for mortgage rates? Of course right now at over 5% we have exceeded what many experts said we would climb to this year.
I have several friends in the business.  One of which owns a mortgage company.  I was talking to him the other day about this.  The Feds are raising the rates to make money expensive to get inflation in check.  There will be another increase in the interest rates soon. 

The Pro R is a 4 cylinder motor.  Not sure how much it weighs.  The cars will shed a little weight with a paddle tire set up as those 32" dirt tires/wheel combo are in the 65lb+ range.  All the little stuff they put on the UTV just add up.  

I thought you did a lot of stuff to shave some weight off you car.  

I will be curious to see how much my friend's Funco will weigh when he is done with his remodel.  He has a Gen 4 that he is removing the back seats and making a 2 seater. Adding a big fuel cell, converting the suspension to the bigger stuff, and he will be running a turbo Honda motor.  
My concentration was a little about shaving weight but more about weight relocation. Best thing I ever did. Have him post a thread. I have a cool gas tank I can sell for $1000. Multiple baffles to control slosh too

The part John didn't emphasize is his chassis and suspension is all chromo. Since it's stronger than whatever Polaris uses, in order for Polaris to beef up their chassis and suspension and lack of proper triangulation, they used thicker fence posts, added more non structural tubing, and added all kinds of weight, like the solid steel bars on the rear arms just to band aid a horrible suspension design with too much toe change. If they did a better job at engineering it, they wouldn't have had to add more weight to the unsprung portion of their suspension, which according to physics, automatically results in a worse ride from the rear suspension. This in turn leads to another band aid - electronic shocks. More weight. Eventually all of the bad choices and band aids add a huge amount of weight.

I would have mentioned the pool noodles attached with zipties, but those don't weigh much, they just make me laugh harder.

:lol:
Yet you have never seen one up close or ridden in a Pro R, but yet your engineering degree and keen eye have you making all those conclusions.  LOL!!!

Yes Polaris increased the diameter of the tubing used as well as the wall thickness to strengthen the car.  Yes there are some dead tubes used that add to the weight.  As well as  I believe it was 3" diameter drive shafts (can't remember what the polaris guy said when I saw the Pro R in person, bigger hardware, and bigger everything compared to previous models

The El Jeffe will probably end up weighing very close to what the Pro R 4 seater weighs. They have not given their official weight yet.  

My concentration was a little about shaving weight but more about weight relocation. Best thing I ever did. Have him post a thread. I have a cool gas tank I can sell for $1000. Multiple baffles to control slosh too
He is not a member here, but I will see if I can convince him to sign up and do a thread.  His car will be nice when he is done.  What size is the gas tank?  I will pass on the information. 

Thank you for your fake concern. We'll see how Polaris and CanAm escape these same economic conditions and possible sales slump. They're all in the same economy.
Difference is Polaris and Can Am are not start up companies trying to make a go of it.  Both have already survived economic 

I'm going to ignore all of your spelling errors and concentrate on your unfounded faith in Polaris and BRP.

While they do make a variety of products, most of them are in the "nice to have" categories, rather than the "essential for life" categories. We don't need UTVs, ATVs, PWCs or small aircraft, or even small commercial aircraft. As the economy slows down, so do sales of those items, especially commercial aircraft.

Now if they produced food or bombs, they might be in a recession proof sector of the economy. They might have more money in the coffers, but then look at GE or IBM now, compared to what they once were. Even the giants of their sectors go the way of dinosaurs, because they move like dinosaurs.
I guess you forget that Polaris has huge military contracts.  BRP also has sizable military contracts.  Both companies survived the 2008 recession.  Although BRP barely survived.  

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/09/06/polaris-a-resilient-company-for-hard-times.aspx

If there is any industry that is the epitome of boom and bust it is marine, and Polaris went on a big buying spree, including big luxury stuff. I think they stand to take a huge hit when this phony economy goes bust. Scott Wine flew away on his golden parachute and the current guy is likely to take the fall.

If there is any industry that is the epitome of boom and bust it is marine, and Polaris went on a big buying spree, including big luxury stuff. I think they stand to take a huge hit when this phony economy goes bust. Scott Wine flew away on his golden parachute and the current guy is likely to take the fall.
Boat and RV industry take big hits when the economy takes a big hit.  Going to be interesting to see how many people back out of RVs they ordered a year ago.   

Boat and RV industry take big hits when the economy takes a big hit.  Going to be interesting to see how many people back out of RVs they ordered a year ago.   
I foresee a big glut of 1 - 2 yr old luxury RVs for sale in the near future. Between storage costs, huge fuel price increases, campground price increases, campgrounds being full, dispersed camping areas getting closed due to trash and the realization they're paying a house payment for something they use only once every couple of months after the novelty wears off, there's going to be a big group who are going to sh1t their pants when they see how upside down they are when they try to unload the thing in a buyer's market.

I'm sure the boat sales will follow the same pattern.

When you guys are talking about "walking away". Do you think someone would just walk away from their deposit/accessories? Or by walking away, you mean selling their spot? If selling the spot, then it is just replacing a person for another person. No lose to Speed. Other than potently they could of had 2 customers and now only have one.  

I had all my Speed cash invested. Right now, with the market, the Speed is going to cost me $60,000. Hopefully this dip will be over once the cars some out. I really am in no rush now. Unless of course I keep losing money everyday. #thanksJoe

Yet you have never seen one up close or ridden in a Pro R, but yet your engineering degree and keen eye have you making all those conclusions.  LOL!!!

Yes Polaris increased the diameter of the tubing used as well as the wall thickness to strengthen the car.  Yes there are some dead tubes used that add to the weight.  As well as  I believe it was 3" diameter drive shafts (can't remember what the polaris guy said when I saw the Pro R in person, bigger hardware, and bigger everything compared to previous models

The El Jeffe will probably end up weighing very close to what the Pro R 4 seater weighs. They have not given their official weight yet.  
So in your first paragraph you question my ability to tell sh1t from shinola, then in your second paragraph you agree with everything I pointed out.  :lol:

As for the weights, the 4 set Pro R weighs 2600 lbs and I'm predicting the 4 seat Speed will weigh under 2300 lbs with the same amount of fuel. If the El Jefe weighs over 2400 lbs with a 1/2 tank, I'll buy you a beer.

I had all my Speed cash invested. Right now, with the market, the Speed is going to cost me $60,000. Hopefully this dip will be over once the cars some out. I really am in no rush now. Unless of course I keep losing money everyday. #thanksJoe
Don't blame your bad investments on POTUS.  :classic_laugh:

All my profits these past few years are what is paying for my Speed! 

So in your first paragraph you question my ability to tell sh1t from shinola, then in your second paragraph you agree with everything I pointed out.  :lol:

As for the weights, the 4 set Pro R weighs 2600 lbs and I'm predicting the 4 seat Speed will weigh under 2300 lbs with the same amount of fuel. If the El Jefe weighs over 2400 lbs with a 1/2 tank, I'll buy you a beer.
No fair putting helium in the Speed tires. 😳

Well except for the use of fence post.  LOL!!   Now if you said muffler tubing and Can Am, then I would totally agree.  LOL!

Hopefully in the next 6 months they will throw El Jeffe on the scale to see if it will be El Gordo.  LOL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I foresee a big glut of 1 - 2 yr old luxury RVs for sale in the near future. Between storage costs, huge fuel price increases, campground price increases, campgrounds being full, dispersed camping areas getting closed due to trash and the realization they're paying a house payment for something they use only once every couple of months after the novelty wears off, there's going to be a big group who are going to sh1t their pants when they see how upside down they are when they try to unload the thing in a buyer's market.

I'm sure the boat sales will follow the same pattern.
I hope so.  I will be in the market for a new RV in the next year or so.  

When you guys are talking about "walking away". Do you think someone would just walk away from their deposit/accessories? Or by walking away, you mean selling their spot? If selling the spot, then it is just replacing a person for another person. No lose to Speed. Other than potently they could of had 2 customers and now only have one.  
That is a good question. I think you would first see people trying to sell their spots.  If they can't sell the spot then maybe they get a refund on the accessories and walk away losing whatever the non-refundable deposit amount they put down.  The latter I think would only occur if the person could not qualify for a loan, which could happen if the banks decide to make it much tougher to get a loan like they did back in 2008-2012.   

At first, no loss.  Sustained sales, definitely a problem if that happens. The person coming in to buy someone out is not only replacing a paying customer, they're buying it for "less" as far as SpeedUTV is concerned. @Fullthrottleguy talked about that a couple dozen pages or more ago. :biggrin:

@Sand Shark 

I'd make sure to get one of these before drinking that beer... :biggrin:

https://www.amazon.com/DrinkSafe-Date-Rape-Drug-Detection/dp/B0001ZNZYC

Back