Speed UTV

Yes ver similar to a spreader bar on a sand car. 

Here are a few pictures of the finished production part. This is looking from underneath like the picture of the welded plate on the test rack. Looks allot cleaner and should help protect the race from debris. 

View attachment 31658

This second picture is a top view where you can see it was also boxed in on the top side and the tie rod end bolt goes completely through the upper and lower mounts. All together this is a very nice design change that does not interfere or change any of the steering ratio or geometry. 

View attachment 31659
Nice.  Was curious how they'd handle the fastener under the brace looking at the field repaired job since it's super exposed and likely to get annihilated by the guys who like the rock crawling aspect of SxSs.  

Even looks like the threaded insert is standard 19mm nut size for easy field replacement if you drop/lose it.

Good to know.  
Yeah, was gonna say: would be a shame to ruin that stressed-member diff on rocks and such.  

I think Speed expects to stay under 2300lbs for the 4 -seater.

The ProR (2-seater) just weighed in at 2300lbs. Not sure what the 4-seater ProR weighs.

My "love"/speed key was only $1.00 and unlocks 300hp so I'm not complaining!!

EDIT: Polaris ProR 4 has a DRY WEIGHT OF 2480 LBS!! (ONLY 900LB left for payload)
SXS Blog guys weighed the pro r 4 seater in at 2600#. These cars definitely got some fat. But fat is beautiful. 😁 Good thing Speed left some power in reserve on these little engines for the tuners to unlock. I think it will be plenty stock though…..for now.  :sraptor:

SXS Blog guys weighed the pro r 4 seater in at 2600#. These cars definitely got some fat. But fat is beautiful. 😁 Good thing Speed left some power in reserve on these little engines for the tuners to unlock. I think it will be plenty stock though…..for now.  :sraptor:
Does that kind of power to weight ratio affect performance in the dunes?

2600#?!

That is insane.
If you have seen a Pro R up close you can see why it weighs that much.  They did not skimp on tubing size.  Plus bigger hardware and suspension components and drivetrain.  It adds up quickly.   Surprisingly they it scoots around just fine in the dunes.  I have seen a few going around Glamis.  

The Speed UTV will be just fine in the dunes power wise.   

Momentum is your friend in the dunes and if you know how to use it you can keep a good pace no matter the weight.  We use to dune Rhinos with 4 people in them way back in the day.  Sure we were not climbing the big dunes, but we got around the dunes just fine.  

Suspension set up will be key to being able to keep that momentum going.  

If you have seen a Pro R up close you can see why it weighs that much.  They did not skimp on tubing size.  Plus bigger hardware and suspension components and drivetrain.  It adds up quickly.   Surprisingly they it scoots around just fine in the dunes.  I have seen a few going around Glamis.  

The Speed UTV will be just fine in the dunes power wise.   

Momentum is your friend in the dunes and if you know how to use it you can keep a good pace no matter the weight.  We use to dune Rhinos with 4 people in them way back in the day.  Sure we were not climbing the big dunes, but we got around the dunes just fine.  

Suspension set up will be key to being able to keep that momentum going.  
My buggy has a 6 cylinder subi, a super heavy S5 tranny, 3" shocks, all chromo steel 1.5" and only weighs 2200# 122' wheel base  i guess they didnt skimp, infact i think the tubes must be filled with lead

2600lb before passengers, for the most part loaded you are nearing 3200lb with passengers and all the Accessories people add to their golf carts...........that is heavy

I don't understand how these things get so heavy, I guess all the little stuff adds up. 

2600lb before passengers, for the most part loaded you are nearing 3200lb with passengers and all the Accessories people add to their golf carts...........that is heavy
The current crop of 4 seaters rolling around the dunes fully loaded are probably in the 2500lbs range.  

My buggy has a 6 cylinder subi, a super heavy S5 tranny, 3" shocks, all chromo steel 1.5" and only weighs 2200# 122' wheel base  i guess they didnt skimp, infact i think the tubes must be filled with lead
Your missing 2 back seats, a ton of plastic parts, plastic body and a front drive train.  

I am sure if I threw my X3 on the scales in dune trim it is close to 1850lbs.  

Heavy is OK, as Long as its a plush ride :wink:

51Ln90ZJwML._AC_SY355_.jpg

Your missing 2 back seats, a ton of plastic parts, plastic body and a front drive train.  

I am sure if I threw my X3 on the scales in dune trim it is close to 1850lbs.  
Well lets see, i have a full aluminum body, the roof is .125" thick., my floor is steel expanded metal, my tranny has to weigh more than a 300hp mini tranny and a front diff (and my trannys can support 6-800 hp.) rear trailing arms with 12" brakes, 4 934 cvs and my axles weigh more than any mini driveshafts.  I might be missing two rear seats but my car is still a four seater. the rear doors are not there but i have steel tubing there in its place. in the place (of the back two seats) i have a radiator full of water that is 31" wide by 19" tall and (hardly the size of the sxs radiator).  with all that water weight and two large 16 paddle blades, my intercooler is twice the size and weight with two large 12" paddle blades. lastly my 6 cylinder engine clearly is easily twice the weight of a two cylinder engine.  Its still baffling the weight but i get it....................

Well lets see, i have a full aluminum body, the roof is .125" thick., my floor is steel expanded metal, my tranny has to weigh more than a 300hp mini tranny and a front diff (and my trannys can support 6-800 hp.) rear trailing arms with 12" brakes, 4 934 cvs and my axles weigh more than any mini driveshafts.  I might be missing two rear seats but my car is still a four seater. the rear doors are not there but i have steel tubing there in its place. in the place (of the back two seats) i have a radiator full of water that is 31" wide by 19" tall and (hardly the size of the sxs radiator).  with all that water weight and two large 16 paddle blades, my intercooler is twice the size and weight with two large 12" paddle blades. lastly my 6 cylinder engine clearly is easily twice the weight of a two cylinder engine.  Its still baffling the weight but i get it....................
I still can’t see it myself

Man!

I thought you were cool until you posted this. 
Every red-blooded American male needs to own a Harley at least once in their lifetime. 
Funny!! I was at Street Vibrations in Reno a few years ago, talking with the vets working one of the booths, and this guy goes: You know what a helicopter pilot and a Harley rider have in common?

Of course the typical answer was “if it’s leaking oil, it’s good to fly!”

He smiled, “True; but what I’m referring to is the back pains and issues you get out of riding those damn unbalanced machines”

He has a point  🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

I still can’t see it myself
The part John didn't emphasize is his chassis and suspension is all chromo. Since it's stronger than whatever Polaris uses, in order for Polaris to beef up their chassis and suspension and lack of proper triangulation, they used thicker fence posts, added more non structural tubing, and added all kinds of weight, like the solid steel bars on the rear arms just to band aid a horrible suspension design with too much toe change. If they did a better job at engineering it, they wouldn't have had to add more weight to the unsprung portion of their suspension, which according to physics, automatically results in a worse ride from the rear suspension. This in turn leads to another band aid - electronic shocks. More weight. Eventually all of the bad choices and band aids add a huge amount of weight.

I would have mentioned the pool noodles attached with zipties, but those don't weigh much, they just make me laugh harder.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back