Speed UTV

This even was great! They were giving out free speed blow up dolls, if you added additional options to your master #

Supposedly the dolls are double sheared in all the right places
How many dolls did you get? I heard the Speed ones perform better than the Can-Am and Polaris dolls. Although I’m only going by the specs.

Not this guy.  No desire to ride a motorcycle in So. Cal. and get splatted on the street. 
I agree. Things have changed since I first started to ride at fifteen and a half. 
Probably less risky riding my bicycle down China Wall nowadays. 

I went to FBC at lunch and saw Todd & the Speed car., again! Lol. Spent half my time talking with Todd and half talking with friends I ran into there. A few were guys I used to race against or with. Saw Nate with Alba checking it out. 

Pretty fun to talk to racers who don’t have one on order and know very little about it. I guess you could say they were more open minded with experience. These guys have Alumicraft & a older Tatum’s chassis for prerunners. One races a Jimco class 12 and the other has a Curry (I think?) class 10 car. A course they saw the obvious flaws and issues we have all seen, but they also were explained that this is a preproduction test car with over 3000 miles on it. They also seemed impressed with allot of the details and deigns and how Prerunner buggy like it was vs a RZR or Can Am. I don’t think either is ready to sell their expensive paid for prerun buggy’s, but one said this would be his choice vs all the other UTV’s sitting on that showroom floor. He said he wants to drive one and who knows? . He said having the 4wd for going slow and scouting race lines would be sweet. 

I think Nate at Alba is excited to get one in his shop on the dyno to test & play with to see what they can do with it. Todd said that Nate should be able to get some big power out of it, as there is so much potential left in that engine. 

I got to look at the steering closer and to understand exactly what they did, and what was happening. It’s interesting as it was said the PS pros were going the direction with bigger pistons and fluid volume & pressures. When none of that was computing out Robby and the guys at the shop concluded it was flexing. When they welded a plate from one tie rod rack end to the other, all the flex went away as did the chatter feed back felt in the steering wheel. Something as simple as a tie brace was the fix. When I first heard about this feedback chatter I was thinking this was possibly where it could be coming from as the tie rod end pieces bolt on the ends of the rack gear and ram. If you make the part bigger you will either lose rack throw back & forth, or you move the tie rod pivot location out, effecting geometry. 

Here is the plate they welded from rack end to rack end. 

View attachment 31626

This is the first time I saw this front dif oil fill sight glass. Pretty cool small detail. 

View attachment 31627
Here is two more views

E573E3EB-FF67-42D8-B6F1-095D62A2182B.jpeg

5877624F-1ABF-4934-A481-A06A3C41C6A0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
NIKAL so that entire hunk of steel braces moves side to side keeping the tie rods locked together?

Like the OG spreaders on the sand car racks?

She's growing into a big (LBS) girl. Motor will need some love ($$) to get her moving in the dunes!
I think Speed expects to stay under 2300lbs for the 4 -seater.

The ProR (2-seater) just weighed in at 2300lbs. Not sure what the 4-seater ProR weighs.

My "love"/speed key was only $1.00 and unlocks 300hp so I'm not complaining!!

EDIT: Polaris ProR 4 has a DRY WEIGHT OF 2480 LBS!! (ONLY 900LB left for payload)

Last edited by a moderator:
She's growing into a big (LBS) girl. Motor will need some love ($$) to get her moving in the dunes!
The Pro R is a big girl and seem to scoot around the dunes with no issue.  I do not foresee the Speed UTV being any different.  

It will be interesting to see how close in weight the Speed UTV and Pro R 4 seaters are going to be.  

Back