Speed UTV

Breaking in a belt is nonsense.   Just go drive it.  Your right foot will determine belt life along with the type of terrain you ride in.  Sand will take out belts sooner then desert.

I just broke a belt after 1700 miles yesterday here in Glamis.  Trying to race my friend in his new Funco on the flats after a long dune run.  Belt went boom at 78 mph.  Lol!

I now have a nice window in my inner clutch cover.

The belt snapped, not the typical breaking into a bunch of pieces. Clutches were not crazy hot.  

View attachment 27941

View attachment 27942

View attachment 27943
Was that what you were trying to do race a Funco? LMAO!  Thats a good one.  Hell I did everything I could to keep up with him in the dunes and it tired me out!  Glad I didnt blow my trans!

Last edited by a moderator:
The second gear is just you normal high gear like all other SXSs.  I think people are thinking this is a sequential gear box like you would have in a rail and it is not the same.  What they should really be saying is you can shift on the fly from low to high and to the highway gear and do the same in reverse.   That is all this set up really is doing. 

Sure seems like something Joe public will be able to screw up
Is the sequential trans a cost option or standard on all Speed UTVs?

I guess RG and company were out in Parker testing the vehicles this weekend.  I had some friends camping out there and they ran into RG and company at the Desert Bar.  Robby came by their camp later that evening and gave them rides in the Speed UTV.  

This is what they said:

Very smooth through the washes, doing about 70.

The suspension definitely was working.
Acceleration on the pavement had us at 90 in no time.

It definitely will be a legitimate car whenever it gets finished.

Robby did say that production should start this summer, with 50 prototype cars.

Pretty cool that he stopped by and gave them rides.  

Re: Transmission:

The transmission will be able to be shifted sequentially on-the-fly while the vehicle is moving, meaning you do not have to come to a complete stop to shift into low/high like you do with most of the other manufactures (excluding Yamaha and Honda). This will require some knowledge and understanding of how to shift these without causing damage to the gearbox. 

This feature will not be used by the majority of users. Most people will simply select 2nd gear (high) and drive these like the other manufactures (Polaris, Can-Am, Arctic Cat). The CVT belt/clutch system works the same way at the previously mentioned systems.

1st/Low gear will generally still only be used for slow speed technical hill climbs or rock crawling type situations. 

3rd/Overdrive will typically only be used on long dirt road sections or on pavement to lower the engine RPM at highway speed. 

The main advantage to the sequential ability of the gearbox will mostly only be used in racing circumstances like a KOH race or some desert races where there are technical, slow speed hill climbs and longer wide open runs to utilize 3rd gear.

Re: Transmission:

The transmission will be able to be shifted sequentially on-the-fly while the vehicle is moving, meaning you do not have to come to a complete stop to shift into low/high like you do with most of the other manufactures (excluding Yamaha and Honda). This will require some knowledge and understanding of how to shift these without causing damage to the gearbox. 

This feature will not be used by the majority of users. Most people will simply select 2nd gear (high) and drive these like the other manufactures (Polaris, Can-Am, Arctic Cat). The CVT belt/clutch system works the same way at the previously mentioned systems.

1st/Low gear will generally still only be used for slow speed technical hill climbs or rock crawling type situations. 

3rd/Overdrive will typically only be used on long dirt road sections or on pavement to lower the engine RPM at highway speed. 

The main advantage to the sequential ability of the gearbox will mostly only be used in racing circumstances like a KOH race or some desert races where there are technical, slow speed hill climbs and longer wide open runs to utilize 3rd gear.
Thanks for the thorough explanation as usual. 
But why make it standard if it won’t be used by the majority of users. Especially if, “This will require some knowledge and understanding of how to shift these without causing damage to the gearbox.”

But why make it standard if it won’t be used by the majority of users. Especially if, “This will require some knowledge and understanding of how to shift these without causing damage to the gearbox.”
Easier from a production stand point to put them on all the cars. 

Easier from a production stand point to put them on all the cars. 
True, but you’re paying for something that you may not use and may damage if you don’t have the understanding and knowledge of how to use it. 

True, but you’re paying for something that you may not use and may damage if you don’t have the understanding and knowledge of how to use it. 
(my opinion) because RG started this venture to build a race car. He had to build 500 to be allowed into the production class. The sales took off and has become what it is now. But these are built to race. RG is/was not aiming for the average SxS person. Now some of the non-racers/Baja guys will be buying these and the car might be overkill for them. He is not looking to be the next Can-Am or Polaris. He is aiming for a niche group. My.02

That is the risk Speed UTV is willing to take.   Honestly I do not think 99% of the buyers will use it much.  Certainly not going to use it in the dunes. Out in the desert you may find a few sections to use the 3rd gear or feel a need to drop to 1st if encountering a steep hill.  Even then depending on how long it is you might be able to power up in 2nd gear (high).

People that go to Baja will enjoy the 3rd gear for the highway sections and the racers. 

Reactions: FOG
if its true the "newbie" can damage it. thats a huge warranty exposure ...

Not something a CFO or investment firm would sign off on.   I have to say the "other SxS makers"  have made the cars mouth-breather friendly, albeit many roll over and even more tear off  suspension component in 1-2 trips, but those are insurance Co worries not warranty exposure.  

I am 100% certain with the other makers (especially a public company), overall warranty protection was a huge consideration - (cost control)  - was definitely a consideration, otherwise you have to reserve cash from your profit margin against future warranty if your actual warranty claim % exceeds  your Projected estimated %. Banks loan against these numbers in order to fund production.

This is also why so many manufacturers outsource high wear or high warranty components like Shocks, electronics, etc.  The warranty cost is transferred to the outsource company and your exposure is minimalized. I have been in those make/buy discussions so many times....

(my opinion) because RG started this venture to build a race car. He had to build 500 to be allowed into the production class. The sales took off and has become what it is now. But these are built to race. RG is/was not aiming for the average SxS person. Now some of the non-racers/Baja guys will be buying these and the car might be overkill for them. He is not looking to be the next Can-Am or Polaris. He is aiming for a niche group. My.02
Sure you may be correct - but he has no way to control who buys the car. It is likely to be the status symbol for the "cool" car to have, and lets face it, if he gets 10% market share from the other guys - thats a HUGE number of cars.  Most buyer (mostly not on this board)   look at the cool factor and if "chicks dig it"  and  what the payments are.  

There is something to be said about too much success is worse than too little ....

Two different gearboxes is more expensive to make than one. 

As mentioned, the vast majority of people who will be using these cars in a recreational way, will never need to shift them on the fly. 1st gear is still really low for crawling/slow speed technical sections, and 3rd gear is too tall to really use for anything other than an overdrive. 2nd gear will be the best gear to use, and let the CVT work as intended. 

I don't know how Speed UTV is going to approach the shifting aspects. I have had a brief conversation with Robby a few weeks ago about this. Robby was considering language in the user manual along the lines of what I said above, that is the last that I heard about this.

For what it's worth, I highly suggested using some sort of lock out feature that would prevent these from being shifted on the fly. That lockout feature would need to be removed for shift on the fly operation, and therefore would void any warranty on the gearbox. This lockout would be a complicated feature to design and implement, so it was decided to move forward without it.

Regarding the aspect of shifting through the gears to improve belt life/efficiency, this is really only something that sound good on paper, but there is no real data to back this up. I have put a lot of thought into this over the past few years, and there are some aspects that are simply unknown until it is implemented. 

I do know that the Speed UTV team has been playing around with shifting these as seen in some of the videos, and that part does seem to be working so far. The effect it has on belt life is yet to be seen. 

Also, I do not speak for Speed UTV. All I can do here is respond to specific questions about gearbox and front diff that I am a small part of. 

Back