Speed UTV

I was surprised to see that the Polaris Pro R belt from this video held up after the abuse it took! I’m Guessing sand dunning may add more stress to the belts. Hopefully these new clutches and belts from RG will hold up as well.

Shocks absorbers were invented in 1907.   I would not say a shock is still a shock. I’d say those have developed allot since then and even today they are evolving, just in the off road world alone. Rick Hasselo made the first bypass tube for Micky Thompson in the early 80’s. No one had any idea what the hell that tube was. But the mid 80’s a select few and not just the big dogs had tubes. They were very crude by todays standards of check valves and springs. Now we have electronics controlling our shocks. 

So just because the CVT has been around forever in several different applications, does not mean someone can’t or has not created a better one using a different concept then what you typically would see. 

How many have the internal adjustable cams to change the ramp angle of the weights making the CVT fully adjustable without having to manually change the weights or adding washers or bolts to the end of the weights to make clutch changes? None that I have seen before the TAPP clutch. 

As far as alignment. Robby has come up with a fix for that by intergrading the cover into a tie bar which creates a double shear support and holds the two clutches in alinement at all times. This extra support also takes that huge rotating mass hanging off the crank shaft and distributes the weight and load and supports it in two places. No other UTV does that. 

If there is a need or desire, everything can change or be improved upon. In 1995 Amazon started selling books online. That changed how we buy things today. 

Time will tell - but tube shock and CVT are apples and oranges, but they have gone through similar tuning -  Tube Shocks have not changed much at all - just the way you control the flow has gotten more precise.  same with CVT the way you control the torque curve (cams and weights etc.) have changed - Both are incremental tuning changes

You could say the GM/Lotus magnetic shock flow system is a complete innovation,  and I would say its really smart, but in the end all is does is control the flow. Shocks just control fluid flow to slow down the speed of the shaft.  

So here is how I see it - IMO, but a little of fact how a CVT works ... (not looking to argue)

CVTs are kinda the same, they all are a set of pulleys that adjust to make the belt ride higher or lower in the pulley (sheave). I love the simplicity of the design. as you move up or down the sheave the pulley ratio changes its like having a large number of gear ratios. 

Changing the cams, springs and weights can match the torque curve to the engine power  so the gearing is correct.  Thats the main reason people Upgrade their CVTs to either adjust the powerband or to accomodate the increased power when you add power to the engine.

Its  cool and simple design, but like any automatic it has slippage and slippage means wear - and thats belt wear on our cars 

So the key to longevity is tuning for less or no slip.  The key to performance is matching the cams etc. to the powerband of the engine and the tire size, weight of the car etc.  ... when you get that right you get the best compromise of performance and longevity and then the quality of the belt is not as important because you are not heating it slipping too much  - probably why racers can use a factory belt and have great luck with them 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes EVO make an adjustable helix which is for the secondary clutch on the Can Am. Nice part, price too! I think their complete “tuning kit” is $900? 

I think EVO is another company that jumped on the TAPP clutch bandwagon. 
They did jump on the Tapp.  It is a much better option then the STM clutches for the high hp cars.  Much better design and it appears the Tapp guys don’t leave you hanging on tuning like STM does.  

STM clutches need lots of maintenance and tuning then is a pain in the ass.  

Do all of the Speed UTVs have a sequential trans?

I was watching the last video where Robby was talking about the sequential trans and how it will reduce belt temperatures. 
So what if you’re in a higher sequential gear then slow down without down shifting and take off again. Will that cause belt slipping and heat?  Or will the Speed UTV prevent you from doing that?

There were times in my LS sand car where I should have down shifted my sequential but didn’t.  Like “oh chit G outs”.  I would hit the throttle to spin the tires trying not to lug the motor. How would the Speed UTV fair in this scenario?

Do all of the Speed UTVs have a sequential trans?

I was watching the last video where Robby was talking about the sequential trans and how it will reduce belt temperatures. 
So what if you’re in a higher sequential gear then slow down without down shifting and take off again. Will that cause belt slipping and heat?  Or will the Speed UTV prevent you from doing that?

There were times in my LS sand car where I should have down shifted my sequential but didn’t.  Like “oh chit G outs”.  I would hit the throttle to spin the tires trying not to lug the motor. How would the Speed UTV fair in this scenario?
That 3rd gear (overdrive/highway gear) would not be friendly to the belt if you tried to go up a steep dirt hill or sand hill.  The only time out in the dunes you might use that 3rd gear would be cruising the Sand Highway to Duners Diner.   I do not see any scenario where you would use it while duning.  

That 3rd gear (overdrive/highway gear) would not be friendly to the belt if you tried to go up a steep dirt hill or sand hill.  The only time out in the dunes you might use that 3rd gear would be cruising the Sand Highway to Duners Diner.   I do not see any scenario where you would use it while duning.  
What about second gear in the dunes?  Or do you think most people will leave the sequential in first and drive it like a regular UTV?

What about second gear in the dunes?  Or do you think most people will leave the sequential in first and drive it like a regular UTV?
The second gear is just you normal high gear like all other SXSs.  I think people are thinking this is a sequential gear box like you would have in a rail and it is not the same.  What they should really be saying is you can shift on the fly from low to high and to the highway gear and do the same in reverse.   That is all this set up really is doing. 

I would say 1st gear is to get rolling or rock crawling or loading in the trailer. 2nd is for everything else. 3rd highways. Here’s a clip start at the 5 minute mark. 

Breaking in a belt is nonsense.   Just go drive it.  Your right foot will determine belt life along with the type of terrain you ride in.  Sand will take out belts sooner then desert.

I just broke a belt after 1700 miles yesterday here in Glamis.  Trying to race my friend in his new Funco on the flats after a long dune run.  Belt went boom at 78 mph.  Lol!

I now have a nice window in my inner clutch cover.

The belt snapped, not the typical breaking into a bunch of pieces. Clutches were not crazy hot.  

View attachment 27941

View attachment 27942

View attachment 27943
Great looking Funco!

1 hour ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

I would say 1st gear is to get rolling or rock crawling or loading in the trailer. 2nd is for everything else. 3rd highways. Here’s a clip start at the 5 minute mark. 

Sure seems like something Joe public will be able to screw up

4 hours ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

I have not paid great attention to all of the spec's anyone know what Engine ECM RG is using  - looks very nice and sophisticated ...

Emtron out of Australia
Isn't that the same country that is still in full lock down for COVID.  The same country that builds all the parts for the transaxles everyone is having a hard time getting ? 

Emtron out of Australia. Yes very sophisticated and another example of not going the easy China way or normal route for a UTV. 

Originally I was told they were looking to work with Continental Automotive Electronics because of the current relationship with Continental tire & SST. But for some reason they went a different route. Maybe they could not do what he wanted with multiple tunes or the ability to custom map? , Maybe the cost to produce was to much? Don’t know? 

I will say I think the Emtron is going to be much better as it’s a true performance ECM that has tuning software that they can play with. I can’t imagine the Continental electronics which are more suited for OEM automotive vehicles being able to do what the Emtron can do. 

In one episode they showed Daniel playing with the ECM programming and mapping to open a exhaust valve a split second sooner to make the engine turn over easier during cold 30 degree weather start ups. Watch the last 1:30 minute of this video to see how Daniel was doing it with the Emtron system. 

Speed UTV cold weather testing

Thanks  - I know the Emtron I should have recognized it. I knew they used continental on the SST, and knew that was not it.  

Luckily the Chinese are far better at Hardware than Software , so hardly any difficult SW comes out of there  (so far, although more of them are taking CS than Americans in our universities)

Isn't that the same country that is still in full lock down for COVID.  The same country that builds all the parts for the transaxles everyone is having a hard time getting ? 
Its not the labor I would worry about, its the semiconductors no one can get  - I have one Holley ECM SKU  thats been on Backorder since November 2021 -

Back