Padres Road to the World Series

"Always", people that say any team in Baseball is a choker have no idea how hard it is to win in baseball.  Padre fans got their real first taste of playoff baseball since 1996.  The game is so mental when you get this far, it is more than just hitting and catching, but let me digress, only losers call other teams chokers  :classic_biggrin:

Next year the Padres will be considered favorites, virtually everyone is coming back (along with the 3rd highest payroll in baseball).  After next year, the firesale will begin, they better win it all or they are just chokers............haha j/k
The Dodgers are considered Chokers for doing the same thing every October with what is usually one of, if not the best teams in baseball, so that's where that comes from. Don't take it personal.   As far as baseball knowledge goes, 95% of baseball is mental, and any baseball guy knows that.  I have played/coached and been around the game my entire life.   Padres were in the playoffs in 2006, WS 98,  and as a Padre fan you think I dont know hard hard it is to win ? Now That's funny!  Common man !  The Astros will be tuff to beat

The Dodgers are considered Chokers for doing the same thing every October with what is usually one of, if not the best teams in baseball, so that's where that comes from. Don't take it personal.   As far as baseball knowledge goes, 95% of baseball is mental, and any baseball guy knows that.  I have played/coached and been around the game my entire life.   Padres were in the playoffs in 2006, WS 98,  and as a Padre fan you think I dont know hard hard it is to win ? Now That's funny!  Common man !  The Astros will be tuff to beat
We didn't choke in 2020, how soon Padre fans forget, how well did the Padres do that year??  Choking in my definition would be if your team was up 3-0 on another team and then lose.  The Dodgers expected to win, yes...... but they got beat by a team playing better....it happens. 

You could call the Padres chokers against the Phillies by your definition (expectations), favored, home field advantage, better starters and bullpen, best additions at the trade deadline...........but they got beat.

I am happy that Padre fans are getting a taste of real playoff baseball, it has been a long time.  Alot of fair-weather fans came out and supported the team, about time.  I got text from people that I haven't heard from in 20 years about the Pads vs Dodgers..........

All good, love me baseball (not just Dodgers), has been my life for longer than I can remember.  What makes Baseball better than any other sport is the unpredictability, in every facet of the game.  Thus the reason I think the term Choker is used by the uniformed fan, not the true fan.

Astros are one of the best teams I have ever seen, but they could still get beat.

We didn't choke in 2020, how soon Padre fans forget, how well did the Padres do that year??  Choking in my definition would be if your team was up 3-0 on another team and then lose.  The Dodgers expected to win, yes...... but they got beat by a team playing better....it happens. 

You could call the Padres chokers against the Phillies by your definition (expectations), favored, home field advantage, better starters and bullpen, best additions at the trade deadline...........but they got beat.

I am happy that Padre fans are getting a taste of real playoff baseball, it has been a long time.  Alot of fair-weather fans came out and supported the team, about time.  I got text from people that I haven't heard from in 20 years about the Pads vs Dodgers..........

All good, love me baseball (not just Dodgers), has been my life for longer than I can remember.  What makes Baseball better than any other sport is the unpredictability, in every facet of the game.  Thus the reason I think the term Choker is used by the uniformed fan, not the true fan.

Astros are one of the best teams I have ever seen, but they could still get beat.
How sweet it would of been to have a Dodgers/Astros World Series. 

Well said.  At this point the Dodgers are the Atlanta Braves of the 90s with their Big 3.  They only got one ring, but they were there. Every year . . .

Some salty Dodger fans to be expected!  That ass whoopin from Little Brother must really sting, something you will remember for a long time !!

Haha!  That's the worst thing we have ever seen, not sure why KUSI would put those clowns on tv.

@South Bay How is this holding up for you ? Lmao!!  Meanwhile they only win 1 game in postseason.

Dave Roberts Guarantees Dodgers Win 2022 World Series: 'Put It On Record'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10030841-dave-roberts-guarantees-dodgers-win-2022-world-series-put-it-on-record

Here's the other comment that Roberts said in the same interview, which is omitted in the bleacherreport article because it wouldn't get as many clicks if they'd kept it in:

“But to answer your question, we are winning the World Series if — if our starting staff stays healthy. I know that’s vague, but that’s my answer,” Roberts added. “I think it’s about starting pitching. Just keeping our guys healthy.”
Towards that end,  Kershaw went on the IL for a minute as usual and the Dodgers then lose Walker Bueller for the whole year and Tony Gonsolin at the end when he was needed .

Question:  What do Padres have in common with the following teams?

2016 Chicago Cubs

2017 Houston Astros

2018 Boston Red Sox

2019 Washington Nationals

2021 Atlanta Braves

Answer, NOTHING as all of those teams actually won the World Series after playing the Dodgers in the post season . . . 

That's a Choketober list for LA!!  :classic_laugh:   2022 Eliminated by little Brother in the first round :classic_laugh:

Funny shiz!   Every single team deals with injuries, that's exactly why the Dodgers cant win a real WS in 162 game season.

Sheesh!  1988 was a LONG time ago, BTW, Padre fans are very aware that we have never won, that doesn't mean we cant talk smack when we bounced your wanna be Dynasty 111 win team in the playoffs.  Glad you are happy with your Doyers getting eliminated every October.   Maybe next year  :classic_tongue:

11 years and $280 million for a 30 year old  Xander Bogaerts ?  ?     

11 years and $280 million for a 30 year old  Xander Bogaerts ?  ?     
YES SIRR!

2X WS WINNER

4X SILVER SLUGGER

4X ALLSTAR

CAREER .292 AVG

He is a great addition to the team, we will get at least 5 good years out of him and can trade him anytime we want.

Who is playing SS for the Doyers next year ? Seems like no one wants to play there, Anderson, and Trea walked away from that team.

Who is playing SS for the Doyers next year ? Seems like no one wants to play there, Anderson, and Trea walked away from that team.

No clue, it won't be Carlos Correa.  It's being said they want to get under the luxury tax threshold this year and are going to back up the Brinks Truck for Shohei Ohtani next year . . .

No clue, it won't be Carlos Correa.  It's being said they want to get under the luxury tax threshold this year and are going to back up the Brinks Truck for Shohei Ohtani next year . . .
Agree, they dont want that Cheater on their team for good reason.  Word on the street is the Dodgers cant win with a stacked line up, so they are going to try with a mediocre line up next year.   Looking forward to spring training already !

Did the Padres BUY a World Series this off season? Peace

For years, The Padres have been complaining about the Dodgers buying division titles, now it is the Padres doing it.  The Pads have to win the World Series in the next two years, or this is all a bust. This franchise will be in last place 5 years from now, with big contracts that they will have to pay.  Farm System is gutted, signing these long term contracts for big bucks isn't good for the long term.

I just don't get the Bogaert signing, he is going downhill in Avg, HR, and defense. He also is going from a small ballpark to a large one, he will be lucky to have 5 HR total next year. Signing him to a long term contract is going to backfire.  I truly think the Pads just signed him so SF or LA didn't.  LA always does this, they are rumored in all trades and signing, they do this so other teams overpay.

Padres are now the Yankees of the West, huge Payroll with no direction.

need 2 more quality starters to go with Snell, Musgrave, Darvish

They signed Bogaerts because Manny has an opt out after 2023 season, Tatis is a question mark at this point, and we needed another good bat. Contract includes no opt outs for SD and a no-trade clause so a pretty sketchy contract to give a 30-year-old dude. I would have rather spent that money on a front-line starting pitcher, but we'll see...AJ Preller isn't done yet. No way they spend this kind of money and not shore up the pitching. 

Back