Outdoor kitchen / BBQ Islands

For the bar, I would make the roof larger and the bar smaller.  I like more shade!

For the bar, I would make the roof larger and the bar smaller.  I like more shade!
If you meant re: my design, yup for sure.  The "bar" in the pool renderings is just a generic place holder.  Also, the sun sets to the front of the house, so we'll get good shade from that as well as the trailer shade structure that'll go up out past the bar thing on the other side of the lot. 

-TJ

Got a few renderings for our backyard in Vegas... but totally changed our minds on the "raised" section.  Here's what we had:

View attachment 14515

View attachment 14516

View attachment 14517

View attachment 14518

A couple things.  First, the color of the stacked stone was just a place-holder, it'll be more of a grey to match our backyard plans.  Second, it needs a big sink plus "bar sink" added (which we had asked for, not sure why it didn't make it in the plan).  Third, I think we've decided against the raised sections around the whole thing.  Fourth, there are way too many bar stools drawn in the rendering, imagine maybe 2/3rds that many, maybe less.  I don't know that many people, and I know there certainly aren't that many people that like me. 😛 Initially I really liked it, but the more I looked at it the more it felt like the center bar at a Chilis or Applebee's to me.  😉 For context, here's where it's going:

View attachment 14520

View attachment 14519

Those are the pool company's renderings, so totally ignore the style/color of the outdoor kitchen in these.  

Any other thoughts or input?  I'll have new drawings in the next few days. 

-TJ
TJ

On the spa, the way the water spills over are you going flat or are you going to do something different?

We did ours as a Champagne edge or negative edge. It actually slopes back towards the inside of the pool and creates a negative edge when it spills over. It's cool. What I also like about it is that there is always water on that top portion of the tile and not just sitting in the sun baking the grout. When flat, the water will evaporate and just leave that portion dry till the pool starts up again.

VID_159240904_040309_028.mp4

125.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
TJ

On the spa, the way the water spills over are you going float for are you going to do something different?

We did ours as a Champagne edge or negative edge. It actually slopes back towards the inside of the pool and creates a negative edge when it spills over. It's cool. What I also like about it is that there is always water on that top portion of the tile and not just sitting in the sun baking the grout. When flat, the water will evaporate and just leave that portion dry till the pool starts up again.

VID_159240904_040309_028.mp4 5.88 MB · 0 downloads

View attachment 14565
It's going to be a champagne edge all the way around the spa.  On the walls on either side of the spa there is a small water feature too. 

-TJ

It's going to be a champagne edge all the way around the spa.  On the walls on either side of the spa there is a small water feature too. 

-TJ
Please excuse my spelling errors! I edited just now! :lmao:

Dumb keyboard! :bag:

I live at the beach so I'm the wrong guy to ask on Vegas. 

But if you had the Ledge lounger chaises like we are going to get I don't see why not.

Whats the reasoning? The water is too warm?

Here's some inspiration to get your ass I to gear, still missing our pendant island lights. Been on backorder since Feb. Just snapped these. 

We designed everything in house between the wife and I, and did everything in house between myself and my subs. 

Your kitchen looks awesome, some. Some unsolicited advice if you want it, your sink is too far away. I would work that area into a walk in pantry or something, get your sink and DW in the island. Might not be feeble with the shape you're working with but play with it. You want your work are to be a triangle. Fridge, range, and sink.

Whats behind the wall where the range is?

If you need any help you can PM me.

View attachment 14566

View attachment 14567

View attachment 14568
We seriously need a Super BadAss Button!

I live at the beach so I'm the wrong guy to ask on Vegas. 

But if you had the Ledge lounger chaises like we are going to get I don't see why not.

Whats the reasoning? The water is too warm?

Here's some inspiration to get your ass I to gear, still missing our pendant island lights. Been on backorder since Feb. Just snapped these. 

We designed everything in house between the wife and I, and did everything in house between myself and my subs. 

Your kitchen looks awesome. Some unsolicited advice if you want it, your sink is too far away. I would work that area into a walk in pantry or something, get your sink and DW in the island. Might not be feasible with the shape you're working with but play with it. You want your work area to be a triangle. Fridge, range, and sink.

Whats behind the wall where the range is?

If you need any help you can PM me.
On the pool thing, it's just that there are probably only a few months a year where anybody would sit on the baja step deal... and my wife and I aren't those "somebodies."  We've thought it through, kicked around a zillion designs, and I think we're set.  I do appreciate all the input though.

On the kitchen, the wife really, really, really wanted a solid island, no sink, nothing on the counter top.  It works out cheaper that way cuz the sink stays where it is, so I'm okay with it.  FWIW this is the kitchen currently (well, I should say a few days ago, it's gutted now):

4005889ad58be2e8b81a166a8814af66l-m4265488297xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

The blank wall to the right of where the sink is will be where the range goes.  Behind it, that you were asking about, is outside.  The wall w/ ALL the appliances right now will be shortened up significantly.  The island will be much bigger, and turn 90 degrees.  That stupid buttress thing and the hospital looking neon light fixtures are all going (as well as the flooring).  

Here's another view:

4005889ad58be2e8b81a166a8814af66l-m755035774xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

The french doors are getting replaced with a big triple-stack slider that will go out more or less right to the outdoor kitchen, pool and patio.  That open area will become where the dining table goes.  The wall sticking out on the right has been moved back as well to open it all up. 

Oh, and yours looks effin' killer, great work! 

-TJ

What color/brand is your plaster? Looks great.
We did White Plaster.

We wanted the smoothest finish and the brightest blue water.

Absolutely love it. We didn't like the pebble finish for how rough it is...the Pebble Sheen is nice but still a little rough.

Hydrazo was what I originally wanted but decided to upgrade equipment and also do the phone app to control everything.

You're place looks great! Congrats.

Got a few renderings for our backyard in Vegas... but totally changed our minds on the "raised" section.  Here's what we had:

View attachment 14515

View attachment 14516

View attachment 14517

View attachment 14518

A couple things.  First, the color of the stacked stone was just a place-holder, it'll be more of a grey to match our backyard plans.  Second, it needs a big sink plus "bar sink" added (which we had asked for, not sure why it didn't make it in the plan).  Third, I think we've decided against the raised sections around the whole thing.  Fourth, there are way too many bar stools drawn in the rendering, imagine maybe 2/3rds that many, maybe less.  I don't know that many people, and I know there certainly aren't that many people that like me. 😛 Initially I really liked it, but the more I looked at it the more it felt like the center bar at a Chilis or Applebee's to me.  😉 For context, here's where it's going:

View attachment 14520

View attachment 14519

Those are the pool company's renderings, so totally ignore the style/color of the outdoor kitchen in these.  

Any other thoughts or input?  I'll have new drawings in the next few days. 

-TJ
If you are in need of the grill and components I have great prices! Thanks! - cell is 951-316-8793

I would say the baja step is used a ton in phx.  Most are 9" deep with a few umbrella holders/ small table and then mist heads to fog the area out.  If you aim the mist heads out over the water it will roll around like fog.  Looks amazing at night with lights.

Just finished redoing out pool and doing a simple outdoor bbq area. Been on the fence of wether to put a spot in for a fridge or not. What fridges are you guys using for your outdoor BBQ/kitchens? We have a Viking built BBQ and a BGE smoker. 

05826DB0-8F28-4849-9FDE-77202C47BD3A.jpeg

I’m working with Pete from Islands under the Sun right now as he’s building me my BBQ island. I’m going pretty basic. Was going to do a sink, but a few friends and wife talked me out of it as it probably won’t get used. No fridge as we have other plans and a few neighbors who have them told me they used them when new, but never use them anymore and they are not efficient and don’t last. We talked about building a built in Blackstone but Pete said he can get me the inserts to fit the grill to make it like a Blackstone.  

I am going with the largest Lion grill and Pete is building the island to color match the house stucco and we are adding a shadow box and in laying stone to match the pool raised wall as a touch to tie it all together. Im supplying the stone so its a perfect match. 

Use ours daily,definitely go with something bigger than bar size fridge..and the NG heaters are a must for cooler nights.Also did electric drop down shades that really work great.

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

Wow...you guys are on a whole different level. That is awesome.

:headbang:

@NIKAL did you ever finish yours? I am wrapping up paver this week. Shade structure is built and now it is time to start designing the bar/cooking area.

Finished ours last month…nothing crazy but has a built in Viking BBQ,Viking fridge and 3 storage drawers. Had a matching platform for the BGE. Just need to build the shade cover after I finish a bunch of other projects going on here at the house.

7CA9305B-9800-473C-945F-D248A838EA6C.jpeg

CD65C6DE-DE98-4100-97BD-52DC9A0458D1.jpeg

8DBFFA92-265A-4572-9A26-4F2404DC0D25.jpeg

Back