Outdoor kitchen / BBQ Islands

Got a few renderings for our backyard in Vegas... but totally changed our minds on the "raised" section.  Here's what we had:

Adams_Finished.jpg

Adams_Finished 5.jpg

Adams_Finished 4.jpg

Adams_Finished 2.jpg

A couple things.  First, the color of the stacked stone was just a place-holder, it'll be more of a grey to match our backyard plans.  Second, it needs a big sink plus "bar sink" added (which we had asked for, not sure why it didn't make it in the plan).  Third, I think we've decided against the raised sections around the whole thing.  Fourth, there are way too many bar stools drawn in the rendering, imagine maybe 2/3rds that many, maybe less.  I don't know that many people, and I know there certainly aren't that many people that like me. 😛 Initially I really liked it, but the more I looked at it the more it felt like the center bar at a Chilis or Applebee's to me.  😉 For context, here's where it's going:

3.JPG

4.JPG

Those are the pool company's renderings, so totally ignore the style/color of the outdoor kitchen in these.  

Any other thoughts or input?  I'll have new drawings in the next few days. 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a few renderings for our backyard in Vegas... but totally changed our minds on the "raised" section.  Here's what we had:

View attachment 14515

View attachment 14516

View attachment 14517

View attachment 14518

A couple things.  First, the color of the stacked stone was just a place-holder, it'll be more of a grey to match our backyard plans.  Second, it needs a big sink plus "bar sink" added (which we had asked for, not sure why it didn't make it in the plan).  Third, I think we've decided against the raised sections around the whole thing.  Fourth, there are way too many bar stools drawn in the rendering, imagine maybe 2/3rds that many, maybe less.  I don't know that many people, and I know there certainly aren't that many people that like me. 😛 Initially I really liked it, but the more I looked at it the more it felt like the center bar at a Chilis or Applebee's to me.  😉 For context, here's where it's going:

View attachment 14520

View attachment 14519

Those are the pool company's renderings, so totally ignore the style/color of the outdoor kitchen in these.  

Any other thoughts or input?  I'll have new drawings in the next few days. 

-TJ
Looks great, my only input would be on the pool. Instead of steps I would go with  baja entrance so you can place lounge chair and umbrellas in the shallow end.

Looks great, my only input would be on the pool. Instead of steps I would go with  baja entrance so you can place lounge chair and umbrellas in the shallow end.
The original renderings for the pool had a baja/beach entrance.  I then spoke to lots of friends that have them, and hung out at my buddy's place who just got a pool with one a few times.  The consensus was always: we never use it, ever.  If you have young kids, or water dogs, it's a "maybe" but everybody I spoke to never uses theirs.  It's kinda one of those sounds good in theory, but you never end up using it once the initial excitement wears off (just like a brick pizza oven in your outdoor kitchen).  To do one, we'd have to ditch the little swim-up bar area (which is how the initial drawings were).  Hanging out in other pools, it seems like everybody ends up at the edge of the pool before long with a drink talking w/ the ppl not in the pool or whatnot, so we decided we wanted that setup more than the baja step. 

I thought about trying to work something out where we can have all of the things, but it just gets too busy/crowded.  The pool is at 18x40' right now (the main rectangle) so we could shorten it up about 5' and make room for the baja... but that seems like the wrong trade-off to me. 

I hope @dbart doesn't think I'm coming for his job with my sick-ass renderings, but something like this: 

image.png

It's def not out of the question, but I'm not sure it's the right move for us, hmmmm...

-TJ

The original renderings for the pool had a baja/beach entrance.  I then spoke to lots of friends that have them, and hung out at my buddy's place who just got a pool with one a few times.  The consensus was always: we never use it, ever.  If you have young kids, or water dogs, it's a "maybe" but everybody I spoke to never uses theirs.  It's kinda one of those sounds good in theory, but you never end up using it once the initial excitement wears off (just like a brick pizza oven in your outdoor kitchen).  To do one, we'd have to ditch the little swim-up bar area (which is how the initial drawings were).  Hanging out in other pools, it seems like everybody ends up at the edge of the pool before long with a drink talking w/ the ppl not in the pool or whatnot, so we decided we wanted that setup more than the baja step. 

I thought about trying to work something out where we can have all of the things, but it just gets too busy/crowded.  The pool is at 18x40' right now (the main rectangle) so we could shorten it up about 5' and make room for the baja... but that seems like the wrong trade-off to me. 

I hope @dbart doesn't think I'm coming for his job with my sick-ass renderings, but something like this: 

View attachment 14522

It's def not out of the question, but I'm not sure it's the right move for us, hmmmm...

-TJ

Baja shelves are a must for us... we get a ton of use out of ours.... both adults and kids.

@tjZ06 The raised portion is good for outlets but I ditched it as well on my design but think about placement for outlets. 

In your climate you won't use the Baja shelf, you need to be deeper in the pool to stay cool.  In my last house, I had a pretty nice outdoor kitchen, one thing after 10 years or more living in the house, when things start breaking, i.e. Ice Machine, Barbeque needs replacing, make sure you can get the same size.  I could not find an ice maker at all, and had to customize the barbeque internals..................

Love your backyard already

@tjZ06  :fight:    :lmao:

The Baja Shelf is absolutely awesome!

I'm sitting on mine all the time.

Beach entry I would stay away cause birds walk right down into them then crap all over everything.

Baja Shelf is great though.

141.jpg

139.jpg

130.jpg

Baja shelves are a must for us... we get a ton of use out of ours.... both adults and kids.
Interesting, seems like this group uses 'em more than anybody else I've spoken too.  Hmmm...

@tjZ06 The raised portion is good for outlets but I ditched it as well on my design but think about placement for outlets. 
Good point, no idea what they plan for that, so I'll have to look into it!  Gotta be able to plug in a marg/slushy maker! 

In your climate you won't use the Baja shelf, you need to be deeper in the pool to stay cool.  In my last house, I had a pretty nice outdoor kitchen, one thing after 10 years or more living in the house, when things start breaking, i.e. Ice Machine, Barbeque needs replacing, make sure you can get the same size.  I could not find an ice maker at all, and had to customize the barbeque internals..................

Love your backyard already
What is the right weather for a shelf?  Vegas has long stretches that are actually really nice... people don't realize it's not 100+ all year.  In fact, winters are rather cold (so you're right there: wouldn't use the shelf all winter).  Then 3-4 months in summer are prob too hot for the shelf.  So, I guess you're left with 2 months in spring and 2 in fall where you'd use it?  Maybe 1/3rd of the year, prob not worth using up the space...

-TJ

Interesting, seems like this group uses 'em more than anybody else I've spoken too.  Hmmm...

Good point, no idea what they plan for that, so I'll have to look into it!  Gotta be able to plug in a marg/slushy maker! 

What is the right weather for a shelf?  Vegas has long stretches that are actually really nice... people don't realize it's not 100+ all year.  In fact, winters are rather cold (so you're right there: wouldn't use the shelf all winter).  Then 3-4 months in summer are prob too hot for the shelf.  So, I guess you're left with 2 months in spring and 2 in fall where you'd use it?  Maybe 1/3rd of the year, prob not worth using up the space...

-TJ
People always tend to gather around it... some sit on the coping with their legs in the water... some sit on the actual shelf 1/2 your body in the water, while others stand around in the shallow area of the pool.  So anytime we have a pool get together, it turns into the central spot where everyone gathers.  Ours just has an umbrella, no chairs. 

-TJ
Ok, I can address the depth of the baja shelf here:

so My buddy in Vegas built his pool with at deeper baja shelf than mine. His is 18" deep, Mine is 9" deep.

The way mine is you are in right at your butt in an Adirondack chair with feet in the water...his you are up over your hips in the water. Great for blistering temps you guys get, but he is actually gonna get taller chairs so he can sit just out of the water with only feet in.

Oh and do the umbrella holder too.

I love that feature too.

For the BBQ island / bar area... get a fridge... as big as possible! 

(don't judge me, this was from hosting my little sisters 21st yearss ago')

View attachment 14527

found another pic

View attachment 14530
Speaking of Fridges I have this Lion new in the box I will let go for $300,  ( Shameless sales plug)

https://bbqdirect.com/lion-refrigerator-4-5-cubic-ft-stainless-steel-front-door-2002.html?adgroupid=1142393459573349&msclkid=ab017a8657ee1d6f026d1bcc683e0107&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart Shopping - BBQ Accessories&utm_term=4574999173175914&utm_content=Ad group

Our friends house (in Havasu) has a baja shelf, and this winds up being where everyone congregates.  They have a table right next to the shelf, and everyone hangs at that area.

I would not build a pool without one.

Just finished digging our pool today.

Screenshot_20210921-140321_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210921-140311_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210921-140253_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

-TJ
I am speaking where I live where we have two months of 100 degree days, the shelf does nothing when it is this warm.  Even if you have shade over them.  Vegas has 3 months of 100 degree weather, and that is more than half of the useable time for a pool.  Just my opinion, unless you have a huge pool and can have booth.

In process of renovating backyard of a home we just bought.

Pool was existing and went remodel route instead of new. Appx 1$60k + savings going remodel.

Added baja shelf (with umbrella holder), drinking bench and jets. Just got done a month ago and the kids and everybody love the baja shelf.

DO THE BAJA SHELF.

I should start a before and after thread on the interior. We gutted the whole thing, start to finish 4.5 months.

View attachment 14531

View attachment 14532

View attachment 14533
Curious if you'd feel the same about the shelf in Vegas?  Looking forward to seeing the remodel!  We're 100% remodeling the inside of the house too.  Just one of the kitchen renderings: 

Adams (1) (1).jpg

(there are existing windows in that kick-out behind the sink) 

Super rad... love how it wraps the house!

I am speaking where I live where we have two months of 100 degree days, the shelf does nothing when it is this warm.  Even if you have shade over them.  Vegas has 3 months of 100 degree weather, and that is more than half of the useable time for a pool.  Just my opinion, unless you have a huge pool and can have booth.
I think you're right.  Plus, the wife and I are honkey-ass-honkey and are never going to sit around and sun ourselves.  And we don't have kids.  Both of us want the pool to be swimmable (not talking doing Olympic turns at both ends and stuff, but just be able to go back 'n forth the whole 40').  

Thanks for all the input, and sorry to derail the thread.  I'll post my latest outdoor kitchen renderings when I get 'em to get us back on topic. 😉

-TJ

Back