New Polaris Pro R

At the shop, we saw quite a few loose/broken control arm bolts on non-race Polarass stuff. Had a friend with a Sportsman 450 ATV that a control arm bolt left the scene, and he got pitched off. It had low miles and was not beat on.

@Schmidty Soooo what did you think of the 12-13” of track width change? Noticeable or not really. That kind of track change would be hard on bearings and such wouldn’t it?

@Sand Shark I thought Wayne mattock broke a few and I’ve seen pictures of others who have broken them also. Must be an issue if guys like Schmidty are building billet pieces for them. I think there’s just to much side leverage at full bump and if they have limit straps attached to the bottom bolt of the shock it’ll eventually give at full droop?
As far as track width change, it's not any more of an issue than on a canned ham. They have the same issue thing. As for the fork and retainer.. Both OEM  parts are cast alum. We never had an issue with either while testing, and we drive the cars hard. However there are some people that seem to be able to break ball pien hammers. I have seen the same pictures most of you have as well. SInce it is a perceived weak part, people will be looking to replace it even though it probably doesn't need to be unless you're racing.. We've been asked if we had them enough times to determine there was a "want" in the market place. There are peeps that want them, So we are working on making them. As for limit straps .... That's another whole laugher.. They aren't needed by "everyone" like some "video's" would have you believe.. They have their place, and are certainly required in certain applications.. But "everyone" needing them is a stretch. (pun intended). Its a convenient  marketing ploy IMHO. 

Ouch another $1750!!?? Are they having issues wallowing out holes on these units? Snapping bolts? Any news about the shock Clevis fix? Or is it just another bad design too much side loading at full droop with limit straps or at full bump? I really like the 2 seaters not crazy about the 4 seaters. And they do sound goood!! 
SxS Blog guys wadded the entire front suspension up, clevis survived. :biggrin:

It is true, not a promise or claim. Fact Robby has a patent filed on the Speed hardware, fact Robby has talked about the hardware design and how’s he’s been using this hardware design on his off road trucks for several years. Fact we have seen it on the pre production cars. Fact we have been shown pictures of piles of bolts being made. 

Do you really think Robbys going to talk for 2 years about his hardware vs the other manufactures and then not do it? You clearly don’t know Robby and have him confused with some of those buggy builders you all think are great. 

Did Ford have to have Broncos delivered to customers before what they claimed was fact? 

Kawasaki debuted and showed us all the new 4 seat KXR, but is it not real because the dealers have not taken delivery yet of them? 

Did you not believe that Polaris was going to release the Pro Turbo after they released the Pro R, and said the Turbo was coming out a few months later? 

What has Robby done to make you think everything he's doing and showing is not true? 
All of those are existing companies.  I don't doubt Robby's desire to get this done, nor do I doubt that everyone involved is killing themselves to get it done.  Starting a company, no matter how good the design and desire from customers, is hard.  There are a gajillion things that can torpedo a startup.  No one says Robby is lying in these videos, just that while what he's showing is cool, there's a long uphill road to climb before thousands are made.  What if the actual unit-cost on these after all the changes is $60k?  What if there's some flaw in the engine blocks and he has to recall all of them?  What if a critical vendor decides he's "important" and doubles his price? Lots of things left to do before they're in customer hands, and then we'll see what us morons do to them. :biggrin:

As far as track width change, it's not any more of an issue than on a canned ham. They have the same issue thing. As for the fork and retainer.. Both OEM  parts are cast alum. We never had an issue with either while testing, and we drive the cars hard. However there are some people that seem to be able to break ball pien hammers. I have seen the same pictures most of you have as well. SInce it is a perceived weak part, people will be looking to replace it even though it probably doesn't need to be unless you're racing.. We've been asked if we had them enough times to determine there was a "want" in the market place. There are peeps that want them, So we are working on making them. As for limit straps .... That's another whole laugher.. They aren't needed by "everyone" like some "video's" would have you believe.. They have their place, and are certainly required in certain applications.. But "everyone" needing them is a stretch. (pun intended). Its a convenient  marketing ploy IMHO. 
Is the track width change really 12-13" on the Pro R?  That seem like a lot.  

All I know is my Can Am goes straight in the rough stuff and any track width change is not an issue.  

@Schmidty Soooo what did you think of the 12-13” of track width change? Noticeable or not really. That kind of track change would be hard on bearings and such wouldn’t it?

@Sand Shark I thought Wayne mattock broke a few and I’ve seen pictures of others who have broken them also. Must be an issue if guys like Schmidty are building billet pieces for them. I think there’s just to much side leverage at full bump and if they have limit straps attached to the bottom bolt of the shock it’ll eventually give at full droop?
Wayne did break a few racing the Baja 1000.  Have not heard of him breaking any since.  Mitch Guthrie has not broken any that I have seen racing his Pro R.   

The other one that we saw break was after the people had been launching it to the moon and it finally gave up later in the day.   

I really think it is a non-issue.  People will build parts for cars whether needed or not.  If people perceive they are needed someone one will make them.  Kind of like limit straps on UTVs.  Not really needed, but people are sure buying them up.   Why would they need limit straps when they have internal stops?  I never put limit straps on my either Can Ams. Never yanked an axle out or broke a shock.   The shock tuner I use never mentioned a need for them.  As my shock tuner has more knowledge about the shocks and more experience than even the mighty RG (I think he taught RG a few things), I will trust his advice. 

Wayne did break a few racing the Baja 1000.  Have not heard of him breaking any since.  Mitch Guthrie has not broken any that I have seen racing his Pro R.   

The other one that we saw break was after the people had been launching it to the moon and it finally gave up later in the day.   

I really think it is a non-issue.  People will build parts for cars whether needed or not.  If people perceive they are needed someone one will make them.  Kind of like limit straps on UTVs.  Not really needed, but people are sure buying them up.   Why would they need limit straps when they have internal stops?  I never put limit straps on my either Can Ams. Never yanked an axle out or broke a shock.   The shock tuner I use never mentioned a need for them.  As my shock tuner has more knowledge about the shocks and more experience than even the mighty RG (I think he taught RG a few things), I will trust his advice. 
Yep.  Clevis design, pound for pound, is weaker.  The clevis on the PoPo is gigantic and as strong/stronger than a couple of thin/flat MS tabs welded to a piece of sheetmetal bridging the control arm tubes.  The side loading on the mount when it was on the upper control arm was even worse, and there weren't failures left and right.

Pretty sure I saw a few that had broke at the top of the Clevis where the shock shaft connects. Not sure where Matlocks broke. So maybe not a problem with Clevis itself but more so with the shock shaft and the side loading forces happening there? To much leverage perhaps from having limit straps? Anyways maybe just a freak thing. My buddy just picked one up a month or so ago and we’ll keep an eye on it and tell him to forgo the straps. 

So ball joint’s failure or shock shaft. What do you guys think went first? I don’t think this was a big jump at all. The video shows the other guys doing the same jump. Anyways I’d be overly concerned if this was my car. Hopefully Polaris steps up and fixes this design. Car only had 100 miles on it!!??

Wasn’t going to post this cause I’m not trying to hate but here’s another picture of another pro r where the SHOCK SHAFT not the CLEVIS LOOP broke. Bad design? Bad shock shaft materials, to small a shock shaft, or too much leverage at that point? Or all the above? What are your thoughts?197B0107-D57D-4332-A03F-552FE41A4D7C.jpeg0A0C56CE-6FDF-49D8-BB38-732D33947CC0.jpeg

9 hours ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

So ball joint’s failure or shock shaft. What do you guys think went first? I don’t think this was a big jump at all. The video shows the other guys doing the same jump. Anyways I’d be overly concerned if this was my car. Hopefully Polaris steps up and fixes this design. Car only had 100 miles on it!!??

That is no good.   Is that a Fox or Walker Evans issue?   

🤔 good question. 
When the XP1000 first came out guys would set the compression to full stiff and then send it.  They were breaking or bending shock shafts when the shock would hydrolock.  That was on the Walker Evans shocks.  

try putting a joint in the middle of stilts. now jump up and down and tell me where the stilts would fail?   its the same principle.  the only good fix for this design is to make shocks with a larger shaft and a custom lower clevis to receive the larger shaft size.....business idea...................

try putting a joint in the middle of stilts. now jump up and down and tell me where the stilts would fail?   its the same principle.  the only good fix for this design is to make shocks with a larger shaft and a custom lower clevis to receive the larger shaft size.....business idea...................
This is What I’m thinking needs to happen. Aftermarket get to it. $$$

Back