Mac's Car Refresh

I can't wait to see some wiring get thrown at this project!  It needs the full lighting package, including pink vag lights (under the seats, facing forward, lol) !!

• Haha
Reactions: Mac
I can't wait to see some wiring get thrown at this project!  It needs the full lighting package, including pink vag lights (under the seats, facing forward, lol) !!
Pencil me in!

Put in some work today on the car.  Mrs. Mac :sexywave: and I started the tear down.  She's definitely a keeper!
We got the front and rear suspension off, all the body panels off, intercooler, hubs, axels and CVs.

Next I'll start moving from front to rear pulling everything off/out.  I have a few things to cut out and remove, a few things to weld in before sending it off to powder coating.  I hope to have the frame and suspension parts back before the end of next month and start the reassembly.  My goal is to get all the heavy stuff done before Havasu summer hits.

Screenshot_20240224_160429_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160423_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160333_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160328_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160256_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160315_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160303_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160309_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160322_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160345_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160446_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160338_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_160435_Gallery.jpg

I saw your Facebook post before this. Heed my warning about the heim joints, alignment, and axles.

I saw your Facebook post before this. Heed my warning about the heim joints, alignment, and axles.
I'm on it.  This is definitely one of my "don't f*ck around and try and grow a brain" areas with this car.  We're measuring everything and writing it all down.  I'll also be measuring and checking alignment and cycle on the suspension before taking it out.

image.jpeg

Ever thought about changing the shock mount braces to more of an x brace. Shock mount to corner of the frame x 2. 

It was a hard choice for him but his wife said they needed 4 seats.  I will say I have loved this car from the first time I put my foot on the throttle.  
He’s in Parker usually not far from you.

Reactions: Mac
You make Stef park outside? :ban:
Keeping the pimp hand strong!

Sun is harder on red paint and...I'll keep my truck 15 years or so.  She gets a new car every 2-3 years.

What was the warning? for those of us that don’t do the F book. 🤷‍♂️
Basically, you got to get the new heim's threaded in as close to the old ones as possible. If you don't, you can move the spindles closer (or further) to the transmission causing the axle to bottom out, which will cause either the spindle to break or you rip tabs off the frame. (Ask me how I know lol ) or if it's too far, the axle will pull out. Your alignment will get whacked as well and your rear end will be all over the place at speed.

Lastly, you need to double-check axle length when you're all done to make sure. It can be a real mother to adjust those five links.

I think he's going to find that each side isn't the same. 

If I were to do it all over again, I would swap out all my heims, get the rear as even as possible, and then aligned... then measure for new axles last. When you're using the old axles you kind of have to work around those measurements. Some of my heims were almost threaded all the way out on one side to get the alignment correct.

If his car was set up properly from the get-go he probably won't encounter the problems that I had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, you got to get the new heim's threaded in as close to the old ones as possible. If you don't, you can move the spindles closer (or further) to the transmission causing the axle to bottom out, which will cause either the spindle to break or you rip tabs off the frame. (Ask me how I know lol ) or if it's too far, the axle will pull out. Your alignment will get whacked as well and your rear end will be all over the place at speed.

Lastly, you need to double-check axle length when you're all done to make sure. It can be a real mother to adjust those five links.

I think he's going to find that each side isn't the same. 

If I were to do it all over again, I would swap out all my heims, get the rear as even as possible, and then aligned... then measure for new axles last. When you're using the old axles you kind of have to work around those measurements. Some of my heims were almost threaded all the way out on one side to get the alignment correct.

If his car was set up properly from the get-go he probably won't encounter the problems that I had.
I ain't scared... did used to rig jet engines and turboprops back in the day... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back