Mac's Car Refresh

I ain't scared... did used to rig jet engines and turboprops back in the day... :lol:

Basically, you got to get the new heim's threaded in as close to the old ones as possible. If you don't, you can move the spindles closer (or further) to the transmission causing the axle to bottom out, which will cause either the spindle to break or you rip tabs off the frame. (Ask me how I know lol ) or if it's too far, the axle will pull out. Your alignment will get whacked as well and your rear end will be all over the place at speed.

Lastly, you need to double-check axle length when you're all done to make sure. It can be a real mother to adjust those five links.

I think he's going to find that each side isn't the same. 

If I were to do it all over again, I would swap out all my heims, get the rear as even as possible, and then aligned... then measure for new axles last. When you're using the old axles you kind of have to work around those measurements. Some of my heims were almost threaded all the way out on one side to get the alignment correct.

If his car was set up properly from the get-go he probably won't encounter the problems that I had.
I was always under the thinking that with the 5-link set up the rear hubs movement in and out as it traveled up and down,, that the axles would maintain the same distance at any height. Is this wrong, do the axles move in and out at the cv's? 

I was always under the thinking that with the 5-link set up the rear hubs movement in and out as it traveled up and down,, that the axles would maintain the same distance at any height. Is this wrong, do the axles move in and out at the cv's? 
If you get the arm lengths wrong, it absolutely will move in/out since they don’t match the axle length or angle anymore. 

I'm not sure I completely understand your question but on my SU ultra light 5 link we found that at full droop it had a quarter/half (I don't remember exactly) inch play with the axle and then at full bump it was tight against the CV cups (More than too tight, they were too long)  So it kind of traveled elliptically. The more you compress the suspension the tighter the axle would get. I don't know if that goes for all five link.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...chrome plating is not happening.  I don't have that much to get redone and they quoted me $3600!  Powdercoat it is.
Seriously. When I did the A+ the Chrome was twice as much as the powder coating and painting.  But I had a vision. 

FE0047B6-0F4C-49CA-8E41-00F6F6092459.jpeg

431B78DD-3FB8-451F-9293-CF80C2E22EDD.jpeg

E2C31545-606A-4C36-94A2-B6998038B8C1.jpeg

So...chrome plating is not happening.  I don't have that much to get redone and they quoted me $3600!  Powdercoat it is.
I think some powder coat shops have a close to chrome powder.

I had been on hold but put some more work in today.   Trans is going out this weekend for refresh and hopefully engine and turbo next week.  I have surgery at the end of the month and will be down a while so trying to make all the time count until then.

Screenshot_20240411_200153_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240411_200147_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240411_200140_Gallery.jpg

Gonna redo those fuel lines as well? Based on the fade on the anodizing, I’m assuming they’re a bit crusty.

Engine's out and should go out this week.  Trans will go out tomorrow.  I have a couple more hours to go removing the brake lines and controls and off to powdercoat.   Everything should be out for work this week 

Screenshot_20240414_171925_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240414_171913_Gallery.jpg

Things are gettin done!  

- Got the transmission back last week.  New main shaft, 2nd, 3rd and reverse, new shift fork, all new bearings and hardware.  If anyone is looking in Havasu for a transmission guy, I definitely recommend Jason at J&S.
- Engine is almost done, just waiting on head gaskets.  They needed to be special ordered due to clearance considerations.  Bored, new pistons, new rods, bigger oil pump, new valves, bigger injectors.  Gary at C&G has been awesome with the info, updates and recommendations. 
- Frame got the basecoat done this morning.  "Candy" coats require a silver basecoat and then the color.  I'll get the frame back next week and get started on the rebuild.  I'll be doing my suspension in the same silver, so sliver arms on a red body.  Precision Coatings here in Havasu has been awesome. 

Screenshot_20240510_102534_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240510_102629_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240510_102622_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240510_102612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240510_102602_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240510_102544_Gallery.jpg

Looking good that car will be TOPS

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll make sure to draw chit in the dust next time I see it. :biggrin:

• Haha
Reactions: Mac
Back