Lets talk SXS's 2024

It Definitely will Not be a rubber band car, not matter what!!!
Well then make sure you buy a nice tow rope.

Here is the thing about "rubber bands" They cost $150 and take 10 minutes to swap out and can be done in the field, in the dark or in bad weather.

When your non-rubber band car goes down and it will go down your getting back on the hook and it will not be $150 to fix.

Two seasons on a YXZ was on the hook three times costed me around $7K to fix it over the three times I broke the "driveline". Three seasons on a "rubber band" Change belt each season, zero broken belts zero times being towed out.

Well then make sure you buy a nice tow rope.

Here is the thing about "rubber bands" They cost $150 and take 10 minutes to swap out and can be done in the field, in the dark or in bad weather.

When your non-rubber band car goes down and it will go down your getting back on the hook and it will not be $150 to fix.

Two seasons on a YXZ was on the hook three times costed me around $7K to fix it over the three times I broke the "driveline". Three seasons on a "rubber band" Change belt each season, zero broken belts zero times being towed out.
I agree the CVT cars have come a long way recently. The Mav-r transmission is still too new for me to buy into it. Honda= old man thinking Honda will run forever and it has horrible suspension plus slow.

So both @megadesertdiesel and @MWB are saying the YXZ has horrible suspension for the dunes, so I better stay away from that one because I already found out the hard way (bottoming out during normal duning) what bad suspension in the dunes is like. I was only drawn to it because of a still new 2023 Yamaha YXZ1000R discounted to $15,888. But I have always respected both of you guys so I have eliminated the YXZ from contention.

So both @megadesertdiesel and @MWB are saying the YXZ has horrible suspension for the dunes, so I better stay away from that one because I already found out the hard way (bottoming out during normal duning) what bad suspension in the dunes is like. I was only drawn to it because of a still new 2023 Yamaha YXZ1000R discounted to $15,888. But I have always respected both of you guys so I have eliminated the YXZ from contention.
Its on sale for a reason

So both @megadesertdiesel and @MWB are saying the YXZ has horrible suspension for the dunes, so I better stay away from that one because I already found out the hard way (bottoming out during normal duning) what bad suspension in the dunes is like. I was only drawn to it because of a still new 2023 Yamaha YXZ1000R listed at $15,888. But I have always respected both of you guys so I have eliminated the YXZ from contention.
For you and what you do, I would look at the X-3 just get the 64" version of a standard Turbo Rzr. You can upgrade the shocks when you need to, you can pump up the HP to a reasonable amount and while it isn't as cheap as the list price of the YXZ it doesn't cost as much as the cars that have all the fancy bells and whistles. After all your only going to dune on occasion but will be out cruising thru the desert and forest trails a lot.
While there are other makes that are good for the type of riding you would be doing. The best part of the Polaris or Can-am is when something happens, you're only going to be sitting on the side of the trail until the next group rides by to find a tire, belt, specialty tool or mechanic to find help.

Watching a guy that absolutely shredded the dunes on mega-fast quad rides for 20+ years with a brand new machine and he could barely keep up without cutting corners/lines on just a decent run... it was painful to watch.

2024 is over man, lets talk 2025.

If I were looking into the Lower 20k market and wanted something proven, known and a ton of aftermarket support, options...

2025 CanAm Maverick X3 - 135HP Turbo, CVT and 72' wide. @$22k these days, new off the showroom floor, ready to go.

1729176959488.png

The KRX is really nice, super solid but under powered in the sand compared to other models in that same price range. I'm excited to see whan KAW unleashes a real motor for that platform.

WildCat, CFMoto are not even options to me. AC is like kissing your cousin from Arizona, might get the job done but don't let nobody see you doing it, all will point and laugh. CFMoto could be a lady boy from Thailand, you might get a surprise you didn't ask for....so wait on those, they are just a concept at this time. Who knows.

I like the YXZ, their price point and what you get is insane at $15k....fun, fun, fun little machines on the tracks....but in Dunes its like driving a Miata coupe they say.

For you and what you do, I would look at the X-3 just get the 64" version of a standard Turbo Rzr. You can upgrade the shocks when you need to, you can pump up the HP to a reasonable amount and while it isn't as cheap as the list price of the YXZ it doesn't cost as much as the cars that have all the fancy bells and whistles. After all your only going to dune on occasion but will be out cruising thru the desert and forest trails a lot.
While there are other makes that are good for the type of riding you would be doing. The best part of the Polaris or Can-am is when something happens, you're only going to be sitting on the side of the trail until the next group rides by to find a tire, belt, specialty tool or mechanic to find help.
That is some excellent advice for my type of riding. The basic 64" X3 has always been reasonably priced through the years. And it's still a turbo, great for the dunes. Sometimes I confuse myself with the offbeat models and offerings, but there have been several times when I think to myself something like "DUH!....there is a REASON why everyone bought X3's when they first came out, and continued to buy them!".

Regarding my OG Maverick which I sold in April, it served my personality well, because I had no problem hanging out in the small dunes or staying on the outer perimeter or driving through valleys. At Superstition Mountain west of Brawley, I drove it more aggressively. And in the desert it served my need for speed, because I actually am a very crazy driver outside of the dunes. At 4 Peaks and Queen Valley usually no one ever passed me going up, and I guarantee that no one ever passed me going down. I passed many, many vehicles, including X3 4-seaters. I'm thankful (and probably very lucky) that I never crashed that thing, not even a broken front end arm or spindle, only 2 belts broken at Glamis.

Watching a guy that absolutely shredded the dunes on mega-fast quad rides for 20+ years with a brand new machine and he could barely keep up without cutting corners/lines on just a decent run... it was painful to watch.
It was frustrating to say the least

@Phoenix7 I have a 2018 Wildcat XX, it's been great for the most part. I've BEAT it to death almost 3 times..... but the newer models are exactly the same car from 2018 nothing ground breaking has changed. 3 Axle designs, trans gearing and a different clutch the rest of the rig is the same design and platform since 2018.

I like to call it a Pre-Production Prototype Speed UTV o_O I still get asked to this day what kinda of UTV model it is. Rarely seen in the the wild for a wildcat!

The YXZ is fine if you ride with a group of them. If you have other cars in the group you find the limits of that suspension real quick.

wow, Nikal has you looking at some decent dirt rides, but for sand they are dogs.
Not knowing his desire to go with Yamaha is why I suggested the XX as it’s Yamaha powered and put out more power vs the YXZ in the same price range category.

The others I suggested for the same thing, low $20’s N/A power as that seemed like what he was looking for, plus and maybe I am mistaken, I did not think he was looking for a dune only car, (RMax was his consideration) and was looking for something that would be great in the AZ hard pack or mountain area. The KRX was suggested as I see that being sort of like a cross between sport & utility styling like a RMax.

But If dunes is the main focus, then yes an entry X3 would be a good option. Decent power for the price range, but much lighter car vs the cars I suggested. The one X3 in our group is a 135hp 64 inch car. Older guy and it works great for him. His only complaint and he brings it up at least once a trip is the viability. But that just seems to be a X3 thing.

I agree the CVT cars have come a long way recently. The Mav-r transmission is still too new for me to buy into it. Honda= old man thinking Honda will run forever and it has horrible suspension plus slow.

Yet...

A Talon one the Baja 1000 last year. You actually have to be able to finish a race, to win one, yeah?

More importantly...

I'll Never run a SxS I Glamis. The power to weight ratio is all basackwards for the sand!

I'll be up in The Sierra's enjoying the views, just like I do every summer.

Although...

The White Mountains in AZ have been calling me lately...

20240725_114614.jpg

Yet...

A Talon one the Baja 1000 last year. You actually have to be able to finish a race, to win one, yeah?

More importantly...

I'll Never run a SxS I Glamis. The power to weight ratio is all basackwards for the sand!

Although...

View attachment 126107

sure, a Talon won its own class so did a baja bug and an electric quad. Too many classes, now let's talk finish time.

Yet...

More importantly...

Although...

View attachment 126107

A Talon won their class at the Baja 1000 and finished 73rd overall. I think it took them over 36 hrs to finish.

The fasted UTV which was a Pro R, finished in about 27.5 hours and was 20th overall.

Back