Lets talk SXS's 2024

Negative reviews?

Like this one?

Or maybe this one?

🤔😉
I debated mentioning the Talon's racing success yet I am just not a believer in these race cars resembling anything that is advertised nor which the public receives. That horse left the barn years ago involving racing of all types with tech inspections at literally all levels of our own sport not only prohibitively expensive but resultantly laughable at best.
Your original post mentioned that the Talon was the only machine that made sense price-wise for you.
The amount of money put in to the results that you are quoting above do not reflect purely the expense of race teams everywhere simply fielding bone stock crate cars day in and day out. Ditto for the expense of tearing in to every critical piece on that car; sending it out to (?) for 21st century treatments of every manner and reassembling same as (cough) 'stock'. If you have enough to do it like the Honda Team does then again...we are not talking nor was I about the multitude of problems that owners have experienced with this car from the very beginning. Still a great car. Just a car not up to Honda quasi-race-standards as compared with most everything else that they've released over the years by far.
Designs certainly help yet old fashioned bending of the rules and a ton of support money perpetually keep these major manufacturers on the podium year after year. This success is often mixed in with a whole lotta luck given the manner in which these races play out and the rules themselves. Being able to afford quality drivers to operate within those rules doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Negative reviews?

Like this one?

Or maybe this one?

🤔😉
20240929_150317.jpg

If I could pick a car that had been modified *at no expense spared* at this point in time...the above would be high on the list.

I had made up my mind to buy another buggy upon returning to the area but we ran across so many SxS's out cruising around on our trip across the country that I really took a deeper look at them. The versatility they offer is hard to beat; you can just take the things damn near anywhere. $30-40k+ was a tough pill to swallow until I drove one and discovered what you get for the money is pretty damn impressive. The Dynamix suspension has blown me away and the power stock is pretty good (I'd like about 50 more HP at this weight but it is still putting a smile on my face). The sand will certainly sap some of that but I went conservative with the tires (33" SS360s to stay as close to stock as possible) to mitigate some of that. I didn't think Polaris was going to check all the boxes for me but it was what came out on top across the board for me.

They have Definitely come a long way since the old golf cart days! The suspension on even the bone stock CanAm's are impressive.

You absolutely cannot beat em in the dirt, that's for sure.

The sand?

I'm gonna need @ChEFF to take me for a ride in his someday. 🤔

I debated mentioning the Talon's racing success yet I am just not a believer in these race cars resembling anything that is advertised nor which the public receives. That horse left the barn years ago involving racing of all types with tech inspections at literally all levels of our own sport not only prohibitively expensive but resultantly laughable at best.
Your original post mentioned that the Talon was the only machine that made sense price-wise for you.
The amount of money put in to the results that you are quoting above do not reflect purely the expense of race teams everywhere simply fielding bone stock crate cars day in and day out. Ditto for the expense of tearing in to every critical piece on that car; sending it out to (?) for 21st century treatments of every manner and reassembling same as (cough) 'stock'. If you have enough to do it like the Honda Team does then again...we are not talking nor was I about the multitude of problems that owners have experienced with this car from the very beginning. Still a great car. Just a car not up to Honda quasi-race-standards as compared with most everything else that they've released over the years by far.
Designs certainly help yet old fashioned bending of the rules and a ton of support money perpetually keep these major manufacturers on the podium year after year. This success is often mixed in with a whole lotta luck given the manner in which these races play out and the rules themselves. Being able to afford quality drivers to operate within those rules doesn't hurt either.

I'm friends with the co-driver in the baja 1000 winning car.

He's the first one to say the power is lathargic. 😜

Personally, I'd take dependability over Speed any ol day.

(See what I did there?) 😁

I'm friends with the co-driver in the baja 1000 winning car.

He's the first one to say the power is lathargic. 😜

Personally, I'd take dependability over Speed any ol day.

(See what I did there?) 😁
Did too..I would take a N/A car (Honda was obviously smart going that route in these races) with 'less' power any day of the week. Most would admit the sane privately as they frankly don't have or cannot afford a car that would ever hold up (safely) at a fraction of what that Honda is capable of anyways.
I would also wager that many would be unintentionally fibbing a bit like me in saying that it would be but "high" on their list of dream cars in any environment.

Did too..I would take a N/A car (Honda was obviously smart going that route in these races) with 'less' power any day of the week. Most would admit the sane privately as they frankly don't have or cannot afford a car that would ever hold up (safely) at a fraction of what that Honda is capable of anyways.
I would also wager that many would be unintentionally fibbing a bit like me in saying that it would be but "high" on their list of dream cars in any environment.

Right?

@RiverDave bags on me Constantly for wanting the Talon.

Zero fucks given by me. 😜

It's hard for me to believe that I would pick that car even half ass race ready over all others simply for the DCT.
I might change my mind if I ever experienced a race ready car yet I've never ran across anything that beats it on paper in a SxS let alone what fun one would expect to have ripping it.

I'm getting excited about the 2024 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX2 1000 Sport, but can't find any duning videos on YouTube. I also see a good deal for a new 2023 Yamaha YXZ1000R. Please comment on duning performance if you have experience with either, especially with the Wolverine RMAX2. I already know that the YXZ can dune, but you have to do the paddle shifting, yet at least there is no belt to break. All comments will be appreciated.

My goal with either one would be to ride it out-of-the-box, no upgrades, no accessories, maybe not even duning tires. But comments and other research could change my mind on tires. The cool thing with the RMAX2 1000 Sport is those GBC® Terra Master Tires. They look like they could handle the dunes.

Last edited:
I'm getting excited about the 2024 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX2 1000 Sport, but can't find any duning videos on YouTube. I also see a good deal for a new 2023 Yamaha YXZ1000R. Please comment on duning performance if you have experience with either, especially with the Wolverine RMAX2. I already know that the YXZ can dune, but you have to do the paddle shifting, yet at least there is no belt to break. All comments will be appreciated.

My goal with either one would be to ride it out-of-the-box, no upgrades, no accessories, maybe not even duning tires. But comments and other research could change my mind on tires. The cool thing with the RMAX2 1000 Sport is those GBC® Terra Master Tires. They look like they could handle the dunes.
ANY sxs will move through the sand but if you want to go fast you need a Canam X3, Mav-r or Polaris Turbo-R, Pro-R.

Dirt tires will just get you stuck everywhere!

YXZ i would stay away from it has horrible suspension for duning.

to be safe nothing out of the box is good, you need 5 point harness, lights and a radio to communicate with.

Times have changed alot since your OG maverick, rubber band golfcarts are 10x better.

ANY sxs will move through the sand but if you want to go fast you need a Canam X3, Mav-r or Polaris Turbo-R, Pro-R.

Dirt tires will just get you stuck everywhere!

YXZ i would stay away from it has horrible suspension for duning.

to be safe nothing out of the box is good, you need 5 point harness, lights and a radio to communicate with.

Times have changed alot since your OG maverick, rubber band golfcarts are 10x better.

I know some of the guys on this website had the YXZ in 2018 (when I joined), but I was assuming that improvements have been made by Yamaha. Thanks for all the advice, especially about the dirt tires.

Is there a reason you are specifically looking at a Yamaha?

If it’s due to liking the Yamaha or their engines, maybe take a look at the Arctic Cat XX. It’s got the same 3 cylinder Yamaha engine as the YXZ, but it’s a high output version with 130 hp. The Yamaha YXZ is estimated at 114 hp, but Yamaha will not publish it on the specs?

Stock for Stock I’d say the XX chassis & suspension is the strongest off the showroom floor out of all the mainstream UTV’s you find on the dealer floors. The stock cage is plenty strong as it’s .095 wall tubing, like an aftermarket cage. The XX suspension is a shrunk down version of the Speed UTV and the handling is really good. It’s comes with Fox 2.5 shocks, that can be valved to be even better then stock. I’d highly suggest putting good Eibach or Hyperco springs on it, as the Stock springs are junk like all the brands.

Comparing the YXZ, RMax and the XX, they are all in the same lower $20K price range.

IMO the XX is an all around better machine vs the YXZ. The RMax is nice, but it’s really in a different category and not considered a true high performance desert machine.

I was set on the ProR as I needed a 4 seater and the idea of helmets optional as well as a hefty belt and detuned NA power plant with all the beef sounded tasty... especially without seeing the 4 seat MavR. Couldn't pull the trigger until I unloaded my X3 Max, nowhere to put it... and good thing too - got to see the MavR 4 seat in person at the SSSS and talk to a guy that raced the 2 seat last year. Turns out I'm sticking with the Canadians for now. Fingers crossed that freight is on time.... 4 seat MavR X RS triple black smart shox should be here Friday and ready for pickup Saturday.

Beefed/upgraded trans coming in the 4 seater and the trans in the 2 seat is already pretty bitchen.

The thought has crossed my mind many times about getting a second sand car but the having a sand car as well as a SxS gives us the option to hit other places and the wife has no problems heading back to Duck Creek.

Who has 2 thumbs and isn't breaking a single belt this season? THIS GUY! 🤘 :cool: (y)

Is there a reason you are specifically looking at a Yamaha?

If it’s due to liking the Yamaha or their engines, maybe take a look at the Arctic Cat XX. It’s got the same 3 cylinder Yamaha engine as the YXZ, but it’s a high output version with 130 hp. The Yamaha YXZ is estimated at 114 hp, but Yamaha will not publish it on the specs?

Stock for Stock I’d say the XX chassis & suspension is the strongest off the showroom floor out of all the mainstream UTV’s you find on the dealer floors. The stock cage is plenty strong as it’s .095 wall tubing, like an aftermarket cage. The XX suspension is a shrunk down version of the Speed UTV and the handling is really good. It’s comes with Fox 2.5 shocks, that can be valved to be even better then stock. I’d highly suggest putting good Eibach or Hyperco springs on it, as the Stock springs are junk like all the brands.

Comparing the YXZ, RMax and the XX, they are all in the same lower $20K price range.

IMO the XX is an all around better machine vs the YXZ. The RMax is nice, but it’s really in a different category and not considered a true high performance desert machine.
Thanks for your detailed reply.

I've liked the RMAX2 for about 2 years. I like everything about it, very attracted to it. And the pricing is very good for 2024's at an AZ dealer.

I've never been a huge fan of the YXZ, but there is a 2023 for sale in AZ at a very low price, lower than the RMAX2's, and it doesn't have a belt to break in Glamis.

The XX wasn't on my radar screen until you brought it up, and I cannot find one at any AZ dealer tonight, but I found one in Southern California, a 2023 Arctic Cat® Wildcat XX LTD, that is comparably priced with the RMAX2. It looks really cool, and I like the 130 HP. The 2024's are priced much higher, but I will think about this 2023 model, knowing it might not last long.

I was set on the ProR as I needed a 4 seater and the idea of helmets optional as well as a hefty belt and detuned NA power plant with all the beef sounded tasty... especially without seeing the 4 seat MavR. Couldn't pull the trigger until I unloaded my X3 Max, nowhere to put it... and good thing too - got to see the MavR 4 seat in person at the SSSS and talk to a guy that raced the 2 seat last year. Turns out I'm sticking with the Canadians for now. Fingers crossed that freight is on time.... 4 seat MavR X RS triple black smart shox should be here Friday and ready for pickup Saturday.

Beefed/upgraded trans coming in the 4 seater and the trans in the 2 seat is already pretty bitchen.

The thought has crossed my mind many times about getting a second sand car but the having a sand car as well as a SxS gives us the option to hit other places and the wife has no problems heading back to Duck Creek.

Who has 2 thumbs and isn't breaking a single belt this season? THIS GUY! 🤘 :cool: (y)
Duck Creek is closed..😉

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I've liked the RMAX2 for about 2 years. I like everything about it, very attracted to it. And the pricing is very good for 2024's at an AZ dealer.

I've never been a huge fan of the YXZ, but there is a 2023 for sale in AZ at a very low price, lower than the RMAX2's, and it doesn't have a belt to break in Glamis.

The XX wasn't on my radar screen until you brought it up, and I cannot find one at any AZ dealer tonight, but I found one in Southern California, a 2023 Arctic Cat® Wildcat XX LTD, that is comparably priced with the RMAX2. It looks really cool, and I like the 130 HP. The 2024's are priced much higher, but I will think about this 2023 model, knowing it might not last long.
Another machine I would recommend you look at and consider is the Kawasaki KRX. It’s got 113 hp, so not as much as a XX and the weight of the vehicle kinda kills the feel of the power. Still very good in the hard pack, not sure I’d want it for a dune machine. But it’s a very robust and solid built UTV. With being strong like the XX they are going to be heavier then a YXZ or RZR 1000. The KRX is very comfortable stock with good cab room, probably more than the XX.

The KRX is in that same price category, and is a N/A engine so it’s in the same class as the Yamaha’s and XX.

In our group of friends, we have 5 RZR/Pro. 1 Can Am X3, 1 Kawi KRX, 3 XX’s and the guys with the KRX & XX’s are very happy with their machines. If I did not need 4 seats I buy a XX, and was waiting for the XX4 to come out before the whole Textron deal, and they shelved the 4 seater. If the KRX had more power, I’d consider its 4 seater. But at 114hp I don’t feel it’s enough for 4 people and the extra weight of the car.

If you’re not needing to buy now and can wait until the first of 2025, I’d seriously take a look and consider the CFMOTO Z10. I was very impressed with the fit & finish and comfort of the Z10 I got to check it out at the Sand Show and interview the lead designer behind the project. And at $19,995 for a loaded two seater, which has 143hp 3 cylinder turbo engine, Fox 3 way electronic adjustable shocks with real Eibach springs from the factory, fancy dash screens (If your into that?) Apple CarPlay, seat heaters, hidden winch etc.. It’s a great deal. But it’s also a new model and it’s CFMOTO first attempt into what I call the tier 1 level cars.

If you have not seen my write up on the Z10 check it out. I talk about the people behind this new car, CFMOTO’s American division and their goals in the U.S. market. And dive dead into the specs of the Z10. So maybe it’s something you might want to consider?

Another machine I would recommend you look at and consider is the Kawasaki KRX. It’s got 113 hp, so not as much as a XX and the weight of the vehicle kinda kills the feel of the power. Still very good in the hard pack, not sure I’d want it for a dune machine. But it’s a very robust and solid built UTV. With being strong like the XX they are going to be heavier then a YXZ or RZR 1000. The KRX is very comfortable stock with good cab room, probably more than the XX.

The KRX is in that same price category, and is a N/A engine so it’s in the same class as the Yamaha’s and XX.

In our group of friends, we have 5 RZR/Pro. 1 Can Am X3, 1 Kawi KRX, 3 XX’s and the guys with the KRX & XX’s are very happy with their machines. If I did not need 4 seats I buy a XX, and was waiting for the XX4 to come out before the whole Textron deal, and they shelved the 4 seater. If the KRX had more power, I’d consider its 4 seater. But at 114hp I don’t feel it’s enough for 4 people and the extra weight of the car.

If you’re not needing to buy now and can wait until the first of 2025, I’d seriously take a look and consider the CFMOTO Z10. I was very impressed with the fit & finish and comfort of the Z10 I got to check it out at the Sand Show and interview the lead designer behind the project. And at $19,995 for a loaded two seater, which has 143hp 3 cylinder turbo engine, Fox 3 way electronic adjustable shocks with real Eibach springs from the factory, fancy dash screens (If your into that?) Apple CarPlay, seat heaters, hidden winch etc.. It’s a great deal. But it’s also a new model and it’s CFMOTO first attempt into what I call the tier 1 level cars.

If you have not seen my write up on the Z10 check it out. I talk about the people behind this new car, CFMOTO’s American division and their goals in the U.S. market. And dive dead into the specs of the Z10. So maybe it’s something you might want to consider?

I remember back in 2021 when I was SO CLOSE to buying a KRX. I watched a ton of KRX videos back then, and was negotiating with a dealer in Apache Junction. Then things changed in my personal life and I ended up doing less off-roading.

I went back and re-read your first reply from last night, and there are some very substantial/strong things about the XX, so you really have me thinking about the XX.

Regarding the CFMOTO Z10, I had read in other posts here that people are wondering when they actually will arrive at dealers. But I agree with you that if I decide to wait until 2025, because chances are my financial situation is going to improve bigtime in 2025, the CFMOTO will be a good one to look at then.

I know some of the guys on this website had the YXZ in 2018 (when I joined), but I was assuming that improvements have been made by Yamaha. Thanks for all the advice, especially about the dirt tires.
YXZ's are fun for fire roads where you can haul ass and slide around the corners. Everywhere else they are under powered under suspended.

Back