Fire insurance in cali and “the fair plan”

I bet there was some miscommunication on the insurance company connecting to it. The Moen deal detects leaks and automatically shuts off the water. In theory at least it's a great idea. My buddy had his water line to his fridge fail while he was out of town, tens of thousands in damage that might have been at least minimized.

Those do monitor water use but an insurance company has no legitimate reason to see water use, can't imagine the department of insurance would approve such a requirement.

I got an ins. quote for a house up in the mountains I was interested in. This is a severe fire danger area so the house is only eligible for the Gov. fire ins. The local Farmers ins. was selling a wraparound plan from another provider and it required this moen anti-flood valve to qualify for the policy. 

I bet there was some miscommunication on the insurance company connecting to it. The Moen deal detects leaks and automatically shuts off the water. In theory at least it's a great idea. My buddy had his water line to his fridge fail while he was out of town, tens of thousands in damage that might have been at least minimized.

Those do monitor water use but an insurance company has no legitimate reason to see water use, can't imagine the department of insurance would approve such a requirement.
No miscommunication. It is what the unit does. Thats why it is wifi enabled. 

why are you so trusting of these institutions? A water sensor is one thing one that communicates to the cloud is unnecessary unless you are monitoring usage

IMG_6988.png

Last edited by a moderator:

why are you so trusting of these institutions? A water sensor is one thing one that communicates to the cloud is unnecessary unless you are monitoring usage

View attachment 116152
I use LexisNexis for my job at the state. It's absolutely nuts what it collects, and I'm not even privy to all the information. You know how everybody jokes about "now they have a file on you" when you say or do something "wrong" ... Well, it's true..

I use LexisNexis for my job at the state. It's absolutely nuts what it collects, and I'm not even privy to all the information. You know how everybody jokes about "now they have a file on you" when you say or do something "wrong" ... Well, it's true..
And we are categorized; our interests are known, bad babits, finances, medical and mental condition, we all have multiple scores in all aspects from threat to compliance probability. 

Everything you do is tracked and monitored. EVERYTHING

These are 100% real.

i’ve worked on them 

im no fan of the aclu lately but they are 100% right as to what these aircraft are capable of. 

https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-technology/whats-spooky-about-fbis-fleet-spy-planes

its legal  because technically they are privately owned like amazon neflix cox cable verizon apple samsung ford and yes moen. We laughed when our refrigerators started spying on us now our water pipes will too

IMG_6989.png

View attachment 116152
Not questioning at all that too much data is being gathered about us. Questioning that an insurance company in CA can legally require that they be able monitor your water use. Or why they would care. Only thing I can think of is this monitor showing someone has an active leak and the homeowner ignoring it. Neglecting maintenance is a very big problem for insurance companies. 

Before the pitchforks come out I'll admit I do work in insurance but I absolutely do not support data gathering like what onstrar apparently does. The company I work for does not do any of that nonsense (beyond running a claim history for new applicants, which is perfectly reasonable).

Only thing I can think of is this monitor showing someone has an active leak and the homeowner ignoring it. Neglecting maintenance is a very big problem for insurance companies. 
This was my assumption. An automatic valve like this can go a long way toward minimizing flood damage or slow leak over long periods of time damage in theory. I would imagine hard water would cause problems down the road. I believe water damage is the biggest cost home insurance covers. 

What if you told them you were underprivileged and couldn’t afford WiFi? This is California after all. Or some other reason as to why you wouldn’t have WiFi?

Not questioning at all that too much data is being gathered about us. Questioning that an insurance company in CA can legally require that they be able monitor your water use. Or why they would care. Only thing I can think of is this monitor showing someone has an active leak and the homeowner ignoring it. Neglecting maintenance is a very big problem for insurance companies. 

Before the pitchforks come out I'll admit I do work in insurance but I absolutely do not support data gathering like what onstrar apparently does. The company I work for does not do any of that nonsense (beyond running a claim history for new applicants, which is perfectly reasonable).
If their meaning and intentions were good i could buy any of the readily available leak detection and stop systems available and not be limited to the wifi unit that transfers all my data to the cloud

I could care less if my ins co. monitors my water usage, or anything else for that matter. I have nothing to hide. Personally I'd feel google map images and street views of my property are way more invasive, but it's 2024 and it is what it is. You know, no one is being forced to live in any specific place, if you find the living conditions don't meet your liking anymore you can always move somewhere else.

Fwiw in Phoenix my homeowners and car ins has gone up 50% also.

I could care less if my ins co. monitors my water usage, or anything else for that matter. I have nothing to hide. Personally I'd feel google map images and street views of my property are way more invasive, but it's 2024 and it is what it is. You know, no one is being forced to live in any specific place, if you find the living conditions don't meet your liking anymore you can always move somewhere else.

True fool right here “i got nothing to hide” says every pussy in america

I could care less if my ins co. monitors my water usage, or anything else for that matter. I have nothing to hide. 
Washed your car on an unauthorized annual allowance?! $$$ FINE.

Kid played with the hose?!  $$$ FINE.

"Nothing to hide" is a very outdated slogan, from when the government wasn't completely corrupt.

Remember this 5 years from now when the “monitoring” turns into rationing. You said you’ve seen Arizona go downhill in the last 20 years. The “I have nothing to hide” attitude has played a significant role in that decline. 

but you all have the great weather and can surf and ski in the same day.Thats if the traffic is nonexistent.

But yeh hear on radio how the insurance companies are doing anything they can to cancel you from drones to see backyard and roofs to pictures of houses.

True fool right here “i got nothing to hide” says every pussy in america

Remember this 5 years from now when the “monitoring” turns into rationing. You said you’ve seen Arizona go downhill in the last 20 years. The “I have nothing to hide” attitude has played a significant role in that decline. 
Can't help but to agree here 

Freedom and privacy are being chipped away at little by little "for your own good". 

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Can't help but to agree here 

Freedom and privacy are being chipped away at little by little "for your own good". 

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Sorry for being so blunt, but as i get older i no longer feel the need to play to other peoples feelings. It may not be important to you, but it is to me. Im fighting for my kids future.

Reactions: GBR
What a hostile place GD.com has become. 

What a hostile place GD.com has become. 
You didn’t really think you’d come on here and say: “I could care less if my ins co. monitors my water usage, or anything else for that matter. I have nothing to hide.” without any blowback did you?

Back