Fire insurance in cali and “the fair plan”

As mad as people are with the Insurance companies....they should be mad at the state and federal "leaders"... if they actually managed the forests and reduced the fuels, it wouldn't be such a nightmare when fires start.  This is the result of 50 years of mismanagement, it's not going to be fixed in a day. 

It's going to get a lot worse as soon as they require safety compliance upgrades to your home. 

Already seeing these requirements rolling out. See a drone over you then expect your change lol.

Clearance of landscape, or debris, electrical, and panels, roofing, fire suppression, eave updates, and even fault due to a neighbor's noncompliance. 

Has anyone here looked into self-insuring through a bond? I know it's being done but not sure how. 

As mad as people are with the Insurance companies....they should be mad at the state and federal "leaders"... if they actually managed the forests and reduced the fuels, it wouldn't be such a nightmare when fires start.  This is the result of 50 years of mismanagement, it's not going to be fixed in a day. 
Oregon has finally came to the realization that prescribed burns to eliminate under brush (fuel) works to minimize forest fires and their intensity. They ramped up the burns this year using idle wild land firefighters and the plan is to continue expanding the acres burned for the foreseeable future. I'm amazed that this liberal chit hole is actually doing something to address the problem!

The Indians would set fires intentionally to clear the underbrush before the pale face people showed up. They discovered way long ago that periodic burns enhanced the land and wildlife thrived using these tactics.

I have a 4 unit 1970s rental property in OC- non fire area. 2021 foremost was $1300/yr, 2022 $1400, 2023 $1750…

just got renewal, $3000/yr!!!

no claims, it’s bullshit 
Since I doubt you put up with tenants for free, I'm sure that cost will be passed on.

And CA politicians will cry foul at rich landlords raising rents, which will create some new law that makes rent even more expensive.

Oregon has finally came to the realization that prescribed burns to eliminate under brush (fuel) works to minimize forest fires and their intensity. They ramped up the burns this year using idle wild land firefighters and the plan is to continue expanding the acres burned for the foreseeable future. I'm amazed that this liberal chit hole is actually doing something to address the problem!

The Indians would set fires intentionally to clear the underbrush before the pale face people showed up. They discovered way long ago that periodic burns enhanced the land and wildlife thrived using these tactics.
Yosemite-1200x675.png

Thick forests where you can't see 50' away aren't a "healthy" forest.

Friend of mine lives in the Mt. Shasta area.  Took him years to get CA to approve a logger coming in and remove a third.  When the trees are this dense, pine beetle spreads super easily.

The road from Montana to lewiston washington is 100 miles of trees so think you literally can't see 10 ft into the forest, WHEN it goes up... nothing is stopping that. 

Since I doubt you put up with tenants for free, I'm sure that cost will be passed on.

And CA politicians will cry foul at rich landlords raising rents, which will create some new law that makes rent even more expensive.

Thick forests where you can't see 50' away aren't a "healthy" forest.

Friend of mine lives in the Mt. Shasta area.  Took him years to get CA to approve a logger coming in and remove a third.  When the trees are this dense, pine beetle spreads super easily.
Read an interview with thomas lucas the last survivinG indigenous kwaaymi (san diego band in the lagunas/kitchen creek area) from the turn of the century. He said san diego mtns had ZERO brush, and every year a lightning fire would burn the grasses from mountains to coast. It would burn so fast it wouldnt touch the trees just clear the grasses. If lightning didnt start one, they’d start one themselves. You could walk from mission valley to ocotillo and never once crash brush.

his assertion that putting out fires and no longer running cattle in the cuyamaca area were ruining san diego’s landscape.

excerpts of this interview can be found in this book

IMG_6720.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to get a lot worse as soon as they require safety compliance upgrades to your home. 

Already seeing these requirements rolling out. See a drone over you then expect your change lol.

Clearance of landscape, or debris, electrical, and panels, roofing, fire suppression, eave updates, and even fault due to a neighbor's noncompliance. 

Has anyone here looked into self-insuring through a bond? I know it's being done but not sure how. 
thought about paying off my house and self insure, stucco walls, cement roof,  no vegetation near my home  however i am in a class 10 fire zone as there are forest near me

on another note  a local resident about 3 miles from my home was spotted by a drone for an unauthorized build/garage in his backyard.  it was a 4500 sq/ft shop with steel roof,  he is a general contractor.  built it with no permit.  the county came knocking on his door and asked to go inspect it.  turns out he had a labyrinth of concrete walls also totaling another 4500 sq/ft below the garage for growing weed, had a generator pit that was 15x20' 12 feet deep with the biggest generator i have ever seen, breakers and wiring the size of garden hoses everywhere.  got busted hard.  now wife is divorcing him and he is required to tear down the entire garage including the basement before sale or disclose to new buyer it will cost almost the same in fees to get it approved as the tear down.

thought about paying off my house and self insure, stucco walls, cement roof,  no vegetation near my home  however i am in a class 10 fire zone as there are forest near me

on another note  a local resident about 3 miles from my home was spotted by a drone for an unauthorized build/garage in his backyard.  it was a 4500 sq/ft shop with steel roof,  he is a general contractor.  built it with no permit.  the county came knocking on his door and asked to go inspect it.  turns out he had a labyrinth of concrete walls also totaling another 4500 sq/ft below the garage for growing weed, had a generator pit that was 15x20' 12 feet deep with the biggest generator i have ever seen, breakers and wiring the size of garden hoses everywhere.  got busted hard.  now wife is divorcing him and he is required to tear down the entire garage including the basement before sale or disclose to new buyer it will cost almost the same in fees to get it approved as the tear down.
Thats definitely one for the books. If the house didn't go to the wife and they seized it, I am surprised they didn't gut it. Normally with the big drug busts they strip the walls to studs before auctioning the sale to be sure no contraband has been built in. Just did one of those on an escrow and it was a little creepy. 

Thats definitely one for the books. If the house didn't go to the wife and they seized it, I am surprised they didn't gut it. Normally with the big drug busts they strip the walls to studs before auctioning the sale to be sure no contraband has been built in. Just did one of those on an escrow and it was a little creepy. 
the walls were all concrete below ground, steel studs above so doubt that.  this place could have been used as a set for a scary movie fo sure

Probably more of a drug investigation than a random drone. That's how the do it so people don't know they have been listening to everything they've been saying for the last year. Just like the random stops that find $40 million in drugs on some Arizona highway. 

Read an interview with thomas lucas the last survivinG indigenous kwaaymi (san diego band in the lagunas/kitchen creek area) from the turn of the century. He said san diego mtns had ZERO brush, and every year a lightning fire would burn the grasses from mountains to coast. It would burn so fast it wouldnt touch the trees just clear the grasses. If lightning didnt start one, they’d start one themselves. You could walk from mission valley to ocotillo and never once crash brush.

his assertion that putting out fires and no longer running cattle in the cuyamaca area were ruining san diego’s landscape.

excerpts of this interview can be found in this book

View attachment 111534
Yep. And now we don’t let people go into anything…

Unless you’re homeless. Camp all you want, burn whatever you can find. We’ll bring you Porta-Potties and handwashing stations. 

Probably more of a drug investigation than a random drone. That's how the do it so people don't know they have been listening to everything they've been saying for the last year. Just like the random stops that find $40 million in drugs on some Arizona highway. 
The dea/fbi have fleets of cessna t206h aircraft all around the country with full ISR capability similar to the aerostat balloon platform. No doubt one of these busted him with an infrared signature

So im getting quotes from multiple farmers agents and they are all over different by multiple thousands of dollars.

and now i was just told by one agent that i need to install a water usage monitoring system on my house in order to get coverage. This sounds like not only bs but an invasion of privacy. It has to be a certain moen brand wifi monitor that reports to them.

HOW IS THIS EffING LEGAL!

And what the Eff does the insurance company care what amount of water you use a month???  

And what the Eff does the insurance company care what amount of water you use a month???  
Water leak and subsequent damage= insurance claim. Those meters can tell if it's a leak or not. It figures out the houses normal habits and then sends alerts for anything out of ordinary. I'm sure filling a pool or something would alert them as a leak

@LegitDuner is that a big problem?  this is a serious question... 

I don't think I know a single person that has had a flood claim due to a leak.  

@LegitDuner is that a big problem?  this is a serious question... 

I don't think I know a single person that has had a flood claim due to a leak.  
Water leaks keep a lot of people in business. It's a pretty common issue.  Hell, I just had one! It's a good thing that I can hear the water running through the pressure regulator when I'm in the bathroom, or else I wouldn't have caught it.

So this unit frOm moen MUST be connected to wifi and power. If you lose wifi, it shuts off your water, if you lose power, it shuts off your water. These are regular occurrences here in the mountains. I have a leak detection monitor. Its called a water meter. If its spinning. You are leaking. 

Eff this state, and Eff all this “tech” that is monitoring EVERYTHING you do.

wake up people. You’re slaves and far from free

So this unit frOm moen MUST be connected to wifi and power. If you lose wifi, it shuts off your water, if you lose power, it shuts off your water. These are regular occurrences here in the mountains. I have a leak detection monitor. Its called a water meter. If its spinning. You are leaking. 

Eff this state, and Eff all this “tech” that is monitoring EVERYTHING you do.

wake up people. You’re slaves and far from free

Welp. That sounds amazing having a device that knows when you take a shet… :sarcasm:

If I was forced into installing one… seems I’d plumb a bypass into it or re-install it on my hose spigot/washing machine after they inspect it…

Back