Coffee

I have heard also, that adding a dash of salt on top of your beans help with that, too. 

Yes, I have both the Press and a pour over. For the press and the pour over, I like my water a skosh warmer, about the 200-205 range. 
That might be the problem, the hotter water is releasing the bitterness in the beans. The least bitter cup of coffee I've ever had I was told was steeped in the sun.

I just spoke with Ruth Chris Steakhouse in Pasadena, and they use Lavazza medium roast pre-ground coffee in a standard drip coffee maker. 

So much for conspiracy theories.. 

Lavazza is the Crap.  Australia runs on it and ifin I remember to, I'll swing by the local Australian cafe this weekend for a meat pie and check out their coffe set up . . .

I have heard also, that adding a dash of salt on top of your beans help with that, too. 

Yes, I have both the Press and a pour over. For the press and the pour over, I like my water a skosh warmer, about the 200-205 range. 
Yes my wife adds three dashes of salt (right on top of the grounds before adding water) to take away the bitterness, it really works.  For my taste, once the water is in the 200 range I start getting burnt flavors. Really odd to me. 

I use a Hario v60 pourover coffee maker with a gooseneck kettle. Set the water temp to 195, 20 grams of coffee and 360 grams of water. I usually get beans from local roasters. Freshly roasted coffee is generally way better with a much more complex flavor than what you’d find in the grocery store. It’s kind of complicated but I enjoy the process of it. The beans can be kind of pricey but it’s still way cheaper than stopping at Starbucks every day. 

View attachment 12124
That looks like Alton Brown inspiration!

Ryan Dungey has a coffee company RD Coffee. If I ever drank coffee i'd support an X Motocross Champion. Peace

When I'm in a hurry I use cafe bustelo instant espresso. 20 Oz cup, hot water, 2 packs, sugar and cream to taste. The stuff is fantastic. Strong, with smooth taste.

Yes my wife adds three dashes of salt (right on top of the grounds before adding water) to take away the bitterness, it really works.  For my taste, once the water is in the 200 range I start getting burnt flavors. Really odd to me. 
Guess I'll preface my comment that I suffer from terrible sleep habits.  Constantly on a time zone that isn't mine, and mild insomnia because of it... I never sleep well.  But...

I've always read that the bitter of coffee comes from "taxing" the grounds.  Like you are trying to get a full pot out of a 1/3 of the beans...being cheap in the basket.   Put more in, it doesn't make it "stronger", just not bitter.  The cranky old bastard that wants "strong" Joe just pulls it off as it's dripping.

I don't drink coffee.  When I did it was iced.  Flavor wasn't for me.  Might have 1 or2 white Monsters during the week, but those come WEEELLLL after lunch.  

If you mean Peet’s coffee, I like their french roast also. Have you tried Peet’s Major pee peeason’s Blend? It’s good also

Yes Peet's sorry I cant spell : ) 

I have never tried that blend I will check it out. 

Yes Peet's sorry I cant spell : ) 

I have never tried that blend I will check it out. 
I didn’t realize that the site changed my post. It “major pee peeason’s blend”. Not pee peeason’s blend. 

Guess I'll preface my comment that I suffer from terrible sleep habits.  Constantly on a time zone that isn't mine, and mild insomnia because of it... I never sleep well.  But...

I've always read that the bitter of coffee comes from "taxing" the grounds.  Like you are trying to get a full pot out of a 1/3 of the beans...being cheap in the basket.   Put more in, it doesn't make it "stronger", just not bitter.  The cranky old bastard that wants "strong" Joe just pulls it off as it's dripping.

I don't drink coffee.  When I did it was iced.  Flavor wasn't for me.  Might have 1 or2 white Monsters during the week, but those come WEEELLLL after lunch.  
On any coffee, the best cup is the first one or 2 out of the gate while its still dripping of a 12 cup pot brew, with the filter filled to the brimm with grounds.. The only problem is, that the rest of the pot is a pretty big disappointment!! Lol.

Three pages of pure snobbery going on here. It’s just coffee.😉

But, back when I was one of y’all I found that Gevalia had some roasts that I really enjoyed. Don’t drink a pot like I used to anymore as a 12-14 oz cup is plenty for me now. So, the wife bought one of those K machines a few years ago so it’s been Costco Pacific Bold or Freedoms Choice Dark Roast since then. I just hit the Bold button and away we go. I like coffee that looks like tar but no bitterness. Milk or cream goes in my shakes, not my coffee.

Currently, wife has us on a Black Rifle subscription.   Can't tell the difference from the Costco stuff we used to get 

I love coffee but don't give a shet about it at the same time.  As long it's fresh ground, I'm happy.

Just to go ahead and snob this up some more, I'll make a cup of espresso, not a shot, a full cup, then I make home made whip cream, but only whip it till its just pourable. No sweetener or cream in the coffee itself just the home made sweet whip. Pour it over the top and let it melt down into the coffee. It's my favorite I do it on the weekends when I have time. Oh and I always do it in a clear cup, cause I like to see the color change as the whip melts and makes such a tasty cup....

Carry on....

Back