Coffee

I use an Aeropress, 167 degree water and burr grinder set about 2/3 to the fine ground setting. I might be picky about my coffee beans too. Getting away from bitterness for me seems to be bean choice and water temp. 
I have heard also, that adding a dash of salt on top of your beans help with that, too. 

Yes, I have both the Press and a pour over. For the press and the pour over, I like my water a skosh warmer, about the 200-205 range. 

My coffee brewing was a result of working with a retired Command Master Chief. If we made coffee that wasn't opaque, he'd come into the morning meeting and ask:

Which one of you faggots made the God damned tea?
Tea = England

Fag = England

Faggot = England. 

Was your retired Command Master Chief the freaking Queen?

My coffee brewing was a result of working with a retired Command Master Chief. If we made coffee that wasn't opaque, he'd come into the morning meeting and ask:

Which one of you faggots made the God damned tea?
This is the type of guy that gave me a chub when I saw his reaction after he noticed that someone washed his coffee cup (i.e.....ME!) ... :lol:

Who has worked in a higher end restaurant, you know, one where reservations are required, and the menu does not include Bottomless Fries? There has to be a secret that us plebes need to know. 

Who has worked in a higher end restaurant, you know, one where reservations are required, and the menu does not include Bottomless Fries? There has to be a secret that us plebes need to know. 
You need a large Mexican boy to wash his prepubescent balls in the coffee pot each morning.  That's how they get that perfect Colombian blend in the high end establishments.

Would you like to know the secret about ranch dressing ? 

I use a Hario v60 pourover coffee maker with a gooseneck kettle. Set the water temp to 195, 20 grams of coffee and 360 grams of water. I usually get beans from local roasters. Freshly roasted coffee is generally way better with a much more complex flavor than what you’d find in the grocery store. It’s kind of complicated but I enjoy the process of it. The beans can be kind of pricey but it’s still way cheaper than stopping at Starbucks every day. 

25579029-EBC0-4782-9448-391A613C5366.jpeg

I use a Hario v60 pourover coffee maker with a gooseneck kettle. Set the water temp to 195, 20 grams of coffee and 360 grams of water. I usually get beans from local roasters. Freshly roasted coffee is generally way better with a much more complex flavor than what you’d find in the grocery store. It’s kind of complicated but I enjoy the process of it. The beans can be kind of pricey but it’s still way cheaper than stopping at Starbucks every day. 

View attachment 12124
Grams? Only two types of countries on this planet: those who use the metric system… And those that've been to the moon :biggrin:

I seem to remember a thread a long long time ago about this, but surch nets me nuttin

How do you get really good, I mean great, coffee, at home like you enjoy after a great meal at an upper end restaurant? You know, that deep rich coffee, that is not bitter or overpowering, just wonderful coffee. 

We have tried several coffee makers and styles, but it never quite gets there. Currently we have a Breville Grind n Brew, and use Illy Intenso beans. I have played with grinds and strength, temp and whatnot. Close, but not there. 

Ideas? 

I love good Coffee. I like a good dark roast that has a strong flavor without bitterness. I like the Beyond Black ( but it is slipping in quality )  from black rifle coffee company or the french roast from pete's. Spare the polical comments as all these coffee companies are libtards. I have tried local roasters but they seem to have more tea like floral roasts, I need to find one with a good dark.

It starts with good fresh beans ground fresh just before you brew them. A good Burr grinder,  I have an Encore that gives an even grind all the way thru is plus. 

For small batches the Aeropress is hard to beat and they are less than $20.00 I like them better than a french press but a french press is also great. For pour over style coffee the Chemex works really well for serving for two people. My last resort if our Auto coffee maker but if i'm brewing for 5 people I just use it. 

If you are going to press or pour over a good kettle is nice to have. 

Always remember to pre wet any paper filters with hot 175+ water to wash away the paper taste. 

Coffee is like wine or beer or ?? just find one you like. The Pete's french roast is like $10.99 per lb and you can find as low as $5.99 when it goes on sale. watch the roasted and use by dates. Old coffee tastes sour to me. 

PXL_20210820_201823851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love good Coffee. I like a good dark roast that has a strong flavor without bitterness. I like the Beyond Black ( but it is slipping in quality )  from black rifle coffee company or the french roast from pete's. Spare the polical comments as all these coffee companies are libtards. 

It starts with good fresh beans ground fresh just before you brew them. A good Burr grinder,  I have an Encore that gives an even grind all the way thru is plus. 

For small batches the Aeropress is hard to beat and they are less than $20.00 I like them better than a french press but a french press is also great. For pour over style coffee the Chemex works really well for serving for two people. My last resort if our Auto coffee maker but if i'm brewing for 5 people I just use it. 

If you are going to press or pour over a good kettle is nice to have. 

Always remember to pre wet any paper filters with hot 175+ water to wash away the paper taste. 

Coffee is like wine or beer or ?? just find one you like. The Pete's french roast is like $10.99 per lb and you can find as low as $5.99 when it goes on sale. watch the roasted and use by dates. Old coffee tastes sour to me. 

View attachment 12125
I hear what you are saying. I know you can get all sorts of fancy, but I am sure that restaurants do not do that fancy stuff for a single serve. That is why I would like to know just what they do use. Illy is a great coffee, I think the cans are 12 oz, and they run about 8-12 bucks each.  I was going to look at some of the specialty roasters, but I live in the HD. Coffee is folgers there... It is better than the land down under. You go out and ask for a cup of coffee, and you get hot water and a container of instant coffee. 

I hear what you are saying. I know you can get all sorts of fancy, but I am sure that restaurants do not do that fancy stuff for a single serve. That is why I would like to know just what they do use. Illy is a great coffee, I think the cans are 12 oz, and they run about 8-12 bucks each.  I was going to look at some of the specialty roasters, but I live in the HD. Coffee is folgers there... It is better than the land down under. You go out and ask for a cup of coffee, and you get hot water and a container of instant coffee. 
There are plenty of good restaurants that will prepare a french press for a coffee order. Even with the Auto coffee maker the #4 cone filter is WAY better than the flat basket type filters. IMO make sure you have a coffee make with the cone filter 

The only bummer is that since I had Covid ( a few weeks ago ) my smell is not all the way back so that smell of fresh ground coffee is not the same and taste is still off. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of good restaurants that will prepare a french press for a coffee order. Even with the Auto coffee maker the #4 cone filter is WAY better than the flat basket type filters. IMO make sure you have a coffee make with the cone filter 

The only bummer is that since I had Covid ( a few weeks ago ) my smell is not all the way back so that smell of fresh ground coffee is not the same and taste is still off. 
Hence... your board name doesn't mean much no more? 

:cheff:

I just spoke with Ruth Chris Steakhouse in Pasadena, and they use Lavazza medium roast pre-ground coffee in a standard drip coffee maker. 

So much for conspiracy theories.. 

I just spoke with Ruth Chris Steakhouse in Pasadena, and they use Lavazza medium roast pre-ground coffee in a standard drip coffee maker. 

So much for conspiracy theories.. 

I have never had coffee there is it good ? 

One more HUGE factor is how you drink your coffee. I drink it black so it is hard to cover up some things. if you use cream or cream and sugar that can cover a lot of sins 

here is my normal @ home & in the dunes.  typically made by the quart.  2 quarts a day gets it done.  If Im feeling froggy, maybe the Med-Dark, but only 1.5 Qts/day. 

& on the plus side, I have plenty of these laying around to soak CV Joints in when its off season.  🙂

Back