1962 Corvette Resto Mod build

I am so busy with other things around the shop I don't get much time each day to play with this. With the motor down in the chassis it was a mother to get the oil pump lined up and slid back over the splines. Fought it for at least an hour today. Finally.

20220921_125148.jpg

So I am replacing the radiator and shroud to put an electric fan on this thing. Today I ordered an HP series LS swap radiator from dewitts. Super nice product. Has a single 1918 CFM cooling fan. 4 reasons to do this. #1. The AC compressor burned up bringing the car back from upholstery. Guys in the shop think it may have been caused by the later model compressor and not enough air flow from the solid blade fan. At idle that fan clutch is not locked up. With a 450 lb high pressure switch pressure could have still been slightly under that eating itself up. #2.It gets rid of that big heavy fan hanging out on the water pump. We had the water pump guy custom make these so the fan clutch would fit. Now I can put a regular over the counter water pump on it which is easily replaced out on the road.#3. it sounds like a jet taking off that big fan moving so much air. Lol.The slight hum of the electric fan running will be much quieter. #4. And my favorite is of course more horsepower not having to turn that fan. We have the exact radiator in another car. The 1960 ls car and it works very well.

20220928_135727.jpg

20220928_135734.jpg

20220928_135750.jpg

So just last year Forgeline came out with what they call the HL3. Here is a description:

The classic HL3 is a tribute to the original Halibrand wheels of the 1960s that famously carried the Ford GT40 to victory, at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans. But unlike the original, the Forgeline HL3 is a modern 3-piece wheel that is manufactured from fully forged concave 6061-T6 aluminum centers using the latest engineering and manufacturing technology. The Forgeline HL3 is a modern custom made-to-order 3-piece wheel that is precision-machined from forged 6061-T6 aluminum and assembled with heat-treated rim shells, hidden stainless-steel ARP fasteners, and Heli-Coil inserts. And just like any Forgeline wheel, the HL3 is fully customizable in fitment and finish, including center lock applications.
Wanting to put some cool wheels on the car and something different. Can't seem to choose but thinking these could look really cool. Car has 15s and I would do 18" wheels with lower profile tires. Maybe some Toyo r888rs.  Anyone have an opinion of how this wheel might look? Center would be the flat silver like the last pic. Then the rim machined. 

221024_FGLN_24_HL3_centerlock_3ear_persp_titanium_fullres_noshad.png

20221119_101859.jpg

Matte-Silver-800x800.jpg

Just realized those wheels would take another $3k for the conversion kit. What they call their flush loc system. No lugnuts would be cool but price would be getting crazy at that point. 

The Schott Kidney bean style wheel is cool as well and another consideration. 

1958-Corvette-convertible-18x8-19x8-Acceleator-rims-spinner_2_8329.jpg

Reactions: THD
I also like the American Racing salt flat wheels. These are 17s. I would do 18s. Much more affordable as well. Talking $13k+ for the HL3 Forgelines with with wheels, tires, and adapters. Still might end up going this route. 

476982.jpg

I also like the American Racing salt flat wheels. These are 17s. I would do 18s. Much more affordable as well. Talking $13k+ for the HL3 Forgelines with with wheels, tires, and adapters. Still might end up going this route. 

View attachment 58136
I love the look of the salt flats.  I have a set of them on my ‘52 Chevy pickup, but I’m not impressed with American Racings quality.  They enclosed a quality control sheet with the wheels to show the runout measurements, but it was not at all accurate.

That HL3 is really nice looking.  It's only money...
I like them to but that is a lot of coin. Just put the hard top up for sale since I don't plan on using it. The Halibrands on it also have some value. My brother is supposed to do a photoshop of the salt flat wheels. See what that looks like first. 

The American Racing Gasser wheel is also pretty cool. They make these in an 18"

d37fb169308569b7a9649a097edbad1baae0b52a08d4e0e5b78031540449934e.webp

I love the look of the salt flats.  I have a set of them on my ‘52 Chevy pickup, but I’m not impressed with American Racings quality.  They enclosed a quality control sheet with the wheels to show the runout measurements, but it was not at all accurate.
As far as quality are you saying the one piece or two piece wheel from American Racing. I would be looking at the two piece wheels. 

Keep staring at this and going back to the Forgeline RB3C Concave wheel. Right now I am going to have my bro photoshop this wheel only. Saw them on this car and really like them. https://forgeline.com/customer-gallery/metalworks-classics  Still pricey buy not as bad as the HL3s would be. I would do the centers in the matte silver like the second to last pic and the brushed clear coated finish for the outer rim.   

4-302162333_1936800383177476_2788985426752836332_n.jpg

2-302087612_1936800373177477_3249964760668435534_n-M.jpg

7887787794_d733d39b7a_o-PNG-825x510.png

Matte-Silver-800x800.jpg

Brushed-Outer-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Polished outer rim would not be off the table. Enough chrome on the car this would still look good. 

OUTER-Polish.jpg

Not quite to scale. Thinking maybe 17s front and 18s back. Also darker centers might be interesting.

corvette2.5.23.jpg

Really liking the CCW D-540 Wheels. https://ccwheel.com/wheels/ccw-d540-three-piece-forged-wheels/  Three piece modular wheel and I can get them in 17s for the front.  Mama doesn't normally have an opinion about my projects but chimed in and said she likes all polished. So there we have it. Made my decision easy. Classic yet modern with the bigger wheels. Really like the three piece design and the exposed bolts on these. Some crude photoshop my brother did. Now I just need to find some $$$. 

corvette2.7.23E.jpg

corvette2.7.23G.jpg

CCW Wheel D540 polished center.jpg

For grins I just had an appraisal done for this car. Anyone want to guess?

Well Mama now says she doesn't like all the bolts in the ccw's. Today I did lay my Apex truck wheels next to the car just for grins. Just to see the color of the satin bronze against the yellow. I actually like it and all the guys in the shop loved it. Problem is that is a one-piece wheel. Although I could try powder coat anything to match.

20230207_162712.jpg

Back